How Does Scoring At Pancrase Work

msm1981

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
Is it possible that someone can explain the scoring system Pancrase uses since
the only thing I know is round winners are announced (open scoring).

Yeah I'm curious about it too. According to wiki:

The name was based on pankration, a fighting sport in the Ancient Olympic Games. Suzuki and Funaki practised catch wrestling. They based the promotion and its rules on professional wrestling. The promotion's champions were called "King of Pancrase".

The rules allowed closed-fisted punches, except to the head, and palm strikes to the head. A wrestler must break a submission hold when the opponent reaches the ropes, but a wrestler who claims a rope break loses a point. A wrestler who claims a specified number of rope breaks (between three and five) was disqualified. From 1998 to 2000, the promotion changed its rules to resemble other mixed martial arts promotions.

I'm gonna watch some and try & get a better understanding of it.

Much more here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pancrase

From 1998 to 2000, the promotion changed its rules to resemble other mixed martial arts promotions.
They just use unified MMA rules now. It's essentially just the Japanese feeder org to the UFC now. In 2015 UFC basically bought them. They are still independently owned by Japanese folks but their media rights and assets are UFC-controlled.

Fight Pass has tons of Pancrase fights. Some are all-time great fights.

They just use unified MMA rules now. It's essentially just the Japanese feeder org to the UFC now. In 2015 UFC basically bought them. They are still independently owned by Japanese folks but their media rights and assets are UFC-controlled.

Fight Pass has tons of Pancrase fights. Some are all-time great fights.
What's with all the equivocation and use of filler words like 'essentially' or 'basically'? Most of what you said isn't even true and then you contradicted yourself immediately afterwards. If Pancrase is a feeder organization to the UFC they are the worst feeder organization in history as the UFC has signed so very few Japanese fighters, and most of them didn't come directly from Pancrase. Now LFA and CES MMA, those are feeder organizations, and great ones at that, as a lot of fighters have come directly to the UFC from there, specifically released from their contracts and allowed to sign freely with the UFC or allowed to fight on the Contender Series to try to get a UFC roster spot. And there is no such thing as 'basically' buying something, you either buy it or you don't. Especially when you then immediately say that they are independently owned in the next sentence. Lots of MMA, kickboxing, muay thai, grappling and other combat sports promotions are broadcast on UFC Fight Pass just like Pancrase. It doesn't imply ownership. You clearly had an agenda with your post, but it's essentially and basically full of nonsense.

What's with all the equivocation and use of filler words like 'essentially' or 'basically'?
That's how I type on messageboards, where the grammar nazis are at a minimum but every now and again one rears their ugly head. As in: "Essentially you are human, but basically you are a turd." Also, paragraphs.

Most of what you said isn't even true and then you contradicted yourself immediately afterwards. If Pancrase is a feeder organization to the UFC they are the worst feeder organization in history as the UFC has signed so very few Japanese fighters, and most of them didn't come directly from Pancrase.
The difference between official and de facto. What other Japanese organizations feed tons of prospects into the UFC? None. Just because Pancrase isn't feeding fighters by the dozens into UFC right now in 2019 doesn't mean they won't in the future.

Now LFA and CES MMA, those are feeder organizations, and great ones at that, as a lot of fighters have come directly to the UFC from there, specifically released from their contracts and allowed to sign freely with the UFC or allowed to fight on the Contender Series to try to get a UFC roster spot.
Japanese feeder org. Both you stated above are American. Comprehension bitch.

And there is no such thing as 'basically' buying something, you either buy it or you don't. Especially when you then immediately say that they are independently owned in the next sentence.
Again, the difference between official and de facto.

Lots of MMA, kickboxing, muay thai, grappling and other combat sports promotions are broadcast on UFC Fight Pass just like Pancrase. It doesn't imply ownership. You clearly had an agenda with your post, but it's essentially and basically full of nonsense.
I'm guessing you just want to argue with someone.

Pancrase and UFC are getting closer and closer by the day, and you can't understand this because you're an annoying nerd that doesn't matter so your opinion is based upon nothing but what you read on the internet. Maybe I'm privvy to information you're not?

That's how I type on messageboards, where the grammar nazis are at a minimum but every now and again one rears their ugly head. As in: "Essentially you are human, but basically you are a turd." Also, paragraphs.

Essentially you were making claims, but basically they weren't true, so you used those weasel words to obfuscate the truth.

The difference between official and de facto. What other Japanese organizations feed tons of prospects into the UFC? None. Just because Pancrase isn't feeding fighters by the dozens into UFC right now in 2019 doesn't mean they won't in the future.

So maybe you should have said that Pancrase, acording to you, may end up being a feeder organization someday, when it's clearly not at this point and never has been? Be honest, you just wanted to criticize Pancrase for whatever reason and "feeder organization" is just a low effort putdown that many MMA fans like yourself use incorrectly.

Japanese feeder org. Both you stated above are American. Comprehension bitch.
Someone had to explain to you what a feeder organization actually is by example because you clearly don't know or pretended not to know.

Again, the difference between official and de facto.
De Facto, when there are no facts on evidence and you yourself stated this. Right.

I'm guessing you just want to argue with someone.
Once in a while I do, especially when someone is providing disinformation.

Pancrase and UFC are getting closer and closer by the day, and you can't understand this because you're an annoying nerd that doesn't matter so your opinion is based upon nothing but what you read on the internet. Maybe I'm privvy to information you're not?
If we wait long enough maybe some of the things you suggested may actually happen!

@JimGunn @Communion
guys let's not fight on the net..we can get a stroke or something like that when we fight on the net..all to protect our giant ego..lots of forum members have been dying recently...

Pancrase is officially a feeder org for ONE now.

UFC Fight Pass broadcasts their events internationally. That’s their only UFC connection.

Rules and scoring are unified mma rules.

@JimGunn @Communion
guys let's not fight on the net..we can get a stroke or something like that when we fight on the net..all to protect our giant ego..lots of forum members have been dying recently...
Sorry man, I get annoyed at nerds that come out of left field to "argue the rules of risk" over something that doesn't matter either way. There's certain people out there that are trying their hardest to turn every messageboard on the internet into /pol.

Back