How does Chandler stack up against the UFC LW elite.

Damage Control

Green Belt
Reaction score
In your opinion how would Michael Chandler do against the following?

Benson Henderson
Gilbert Melendez
Gray Maynard
Anthony Pettis
Donald Cerrone
Jim Miller
Joe Lauzon
Nate Diaz
Diego Sanchez

Personally the fight I'd like to see most out of the guys on this list is Chandler vs Maynard as they have very similar styles and physiques.

I honestly feel Michael Chandler is a legit fighter, he's looked great in his career so far and I think he could give almost anybody a run for their money in the UFC elite LW's right now.

Hes legit and has a ton of heart. Not sure if its his time though... I think he will get there eventually though.

In a few years time I think he will be a serious contender.

Benson Henderson- toss up
Gilbert Melendez- toss up
Gray Maynard- toss up
Anthony Pettis- toss up
Donald Cerrone- beat
Jim Miller- beat
Joe Lauzon- beat
Nate Diaz- beat
Diego Sanchez- beat

He seems pretty Legit and certainly has the attention of everybody with a big win over Alvarez. Give him a couple years and a few fights and we'll see. I would like to see him make a run in the UFC though.

Benson Henderson - Bendo would probably beat Chandler fairly convincingly.
Gilbert Melendez - I would favor Melendez by a good margin.
Gray Maynard - The definition of a toss up.
Anthony Pettis - I would favor Pettis by a good margin.
Donald Cerrone - I would favor Chandler by a decent margin.
Jim Miller - I would slightly favor Chandler.
Joe Lauzon - Chandler would beat Lauzon, but not without a scare and/or a good fight.
Nate Diaz - It depends on how much Nate's TDD is. If what I saw last time Nate fights is how good he is, then I'd say this would be pretty much a toss up.
Diego Sanchez - Chandler beats Sanchez pretty easily IMO.

Maynard seems like a bigger slower version of Chandler. Would be like big brother vs little brother...

Correct me if I'm wrong, Chandler has a wrestling base right?

I remember his fight with Alvarez. His hands were GREAT that night.

Wrestlers with above average striking will do very well in the UFC

I think he's legit top 10. That pretty much goes without saying.

I think he'd win some, lose some against the top 5.

Don't think he'd be champ unless he lucked into some favorable style matchups along the way. He's still got room to improve though.

But there's a chance - slim, IMO - that he's actually the best LW in the world. Because I think Eddie has a real chance to be UFC champ, and he beat Eddie.

Maynard seems like a bigger slower version of Chandler. Would be like big brother vs little brother...
It would, wouldn't it=??? Which is why if Chandler is ever goes from Bellator to the UFC (like Hector Lombard, not Eddie Alvarez), that would be a perfect first "real" match for him (after a possible warm up match against someone like dos Anjos, Healy, Sanchez, etc.).

He'd beat most of them IMO. I think he will end up being better than his mirror image Maynard. He is younger and has time to continue to develop. He hurt Eddie badly and one of few to finish him. His wrestling is top notch, his boxing is good and getting better, he has good power, good speed, and great conditioning.

Anthony Pettis would be the worse match for him right now IMO. Looking forward to seeing how well he does against Hawn.

Correct me if I'm wrong, Chandler has a wrestling base right?

I remember his fight with Alvarez. His hands were GREAT that night.

Wrestlers with above average striking will do very well in the UFC

Division I wrestler out of same college as Tyron Woodley and Jason High I believe.

His boxing technique impresses me a lot. He also appears to have all of the intangibles and of course, he has a great wrestling base. He has a realistic chance against any LW in the world.

He'd beat most of them IMO. I think he will end up being better than his mirror image Maynard. He is younger and has time to continue to develop. He hurt Eddie badly and one of few to finish him. His wrestling is top notch, his boxing is good and getting better, he has good power, good speed, and great conditioning.

Anthony Pettis would be the worse match for him right now IMO. Looking forward to seeing how well he does against Hawn.
I agree 100% with this post. While I don't think Chandler could hang with Bendo yet, and I think Pettis is a bad match up for him, he could definitely make a competitive fight with anyone. Chandlers is young, constantly learning, and always adds to his arsenal as he becomes more and more of a complete mixed martial artist. There is no doubt in my mind Chandler definitely has UFC Championship-level potential.

Division I wrestler out of same college as Tyron Woodley and Jason High I believe.

He was an AA in his final year, as well. He showcased damn good top control against Patricky, too (and he also has a reasonable submission game). Great chin, heart and cardio to boot. He could realistically be the best LW in the world, though, in Bellator, it is hard to prove.

I think Chandler would be top 5 definetley in the UFC and his toughest fights being Henderson, Maynard, and Pettis.

Benson Henderson- toss up
Gilbert Melendez- toss up
Gray Maynard- toss up
Anthony Pettis- toss up
Donald Cerrone- beat
Jim Miller- beat
Joe Lauzon- beat
Nate Diaz- beat
Diego Sanchez- beat

Yes, this list. He passed his first major "prospect" test with flying colours when he beat Eddie. has heart, a chin, great wrasslin, killer instinct, power, cardio. definitely an elite LW for me. Still think he might lose to Hawn, but I think Hawn has looked awesome lately as well.

I'd rank him 5 based on skill below Bendo, Gil, Maynard and Pettis.
He has great wrestling and sick hands
He's got the potential to be a champ for sure

Back