How Does a Fighter Break in to the Top 10?

Siver!

Sedriques Dumbass Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score

Apparently, you be the cousin of Khabib Nurmagomedov and fight someone making their UFC debut who nobody knows how good they are, as well as have a very small back catalogue of wins containing zero opponents in the top 15.

<Varys01>

Well that's a new one!

(INB4: "RANKINGS AREN'T REAL BRO!")

Umar is 17-0 and 5-0 in UFC with 3 stoppage wins. Nobody in front of him wants to fight him. Should he stay unranked forever just because everyone is to scared to fight him? No, they will move him through the ranks so everyone in the rankings will be forced to fight him

Once you get in the top 10, it's not easy to get out either.

Top 10 guys fight top 10 guys, and protect their ranks.

Rob Font is 1-4
Petr Yan is 1-4
Cejudo is 0-2

UFC needs to do something about this imo.

We're watching guys in the top 10 age-out.

Umar is 17-0 and 5-0 in UFC with 3 stoppage wins. Nobody in front of him wants to fight him. Should he stay unranked forever just because everyone is to scared to fight him? No, they will move him through the ranks so everyone in the rankings will be forced to fight him
Bekzat nearly took him out in the first round. They can "force" guys to fight him but he also has to qualify. I'm confident someone of Sandhagen's caliber can beat him.

Last edited:

2 people have just asked for him in like 3 days LOL

Bekzat nearly took him out in the first round. They can force guys to fight him but he also has to qualify.

It's a nonsense narrative that's completely made up.

Jack Shore wanted to fight him. 5 guys have actually fought him. Cory Sandhagen not only wants to fight him, but has been booked to fight him already once. Nathaniel Wood wanted to fight him but Umar pulled out. Hunter Azure wanted to fight him. Vinicius Oliveira literally just asked for him.

Morozov, Kelleher, Maness, Barcelos and Bekzat all actually did fight him.

Plenty of guys will willingly fight Umar.

winning a lot. finishes always help. not losing.

or

your fights sell, even if you not that good

Apparently, you be the cousin of Khabib Nurmagomedov and fight someone making their UFC debut who nobody knows how good they are, as well as have a very small back catalogue of wins containing zero opponents in the top 15.

<Varys01>

Well that's a new one!

(INB4: "RANKINGS AREN'T REAL BRO!")

The guy in your avatar moved up in rankings because his opponent was named Conor McGregor, so the UFC could get Conor a top 10 win.

Before Siver was scheduled to fight Conor he wasn't ranked in the top 10.

The 3 guys Umar passed are Martinez, Cruz, and Munhoz. I absolutely agree there's no justification for Umar passing Martinez, who looked great in his last fight and dominated Yanez (then ranked #14). But Cruz is effectively retired and hasn't won a fight in more than 2 years (won 2 fights in the last 7 years). And Munhoz has won 1 out of his last 5 fights.

So I guess you could argue that Umar should be #11. But Henry has no business in the top 10 right now--he hasn't won a fight in 3 1/2 years. So #10 makes sense for Umar, after all.

The guy in your avatar moved up in rankings because his opponent was named Conor McGregor, so the UFC could get Conor a top 10 win. Before Siver was scheduled to fight Conor he wasn't ranked in the top 10.

Admittedly insane.

The 3 guys Umar passed are Martinez, Cruz, and Munhoz. I absolutely agree there's no justification for Umar passing Martinez, who looked great in his last fight and dominated Yanez (then ranked #14). But Cruz is effectively retired and hasn't won a fight in more than 2 years (won 2 fights in the last 7 years). And Munhoz has won 1 out of his last 5 fights.

So I guess you could argue that Umar should be #11. But Henry has no business in the top 10 right now--he hasn't won a fight in 3 1/2 years. So #10 makes sense for Umar, after all.

I'd be all for demoting guys like Cruz who don't fight, but the general rule seems to be they sit in situ forever and a day until eventually losing.

Munhoz has a win over Chris Gutierrez, though, and that's a way better win than anything Umar has achieved rankings-wise, although probably not in reality.

It's just weird, man.

Back