How do you teach someone to hold pads properly?

Straightcross

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I tried teaching my girlfriend but no matter what I tell her she offers no resistance and as soon as I up the pace she panics. Maybe she is too girly but being able to do padwork at home is like a dream.

It would be wise to keep your girlfriend your girlfriend.

You're awesome and I wished I possessed the insane skills of talking a lady into being my pad holder.... Maybe you should just grab her head and start kneeing the pads?? Get her used to the pressure... Then sweep the leg... Lol...

you teach someone how to hold properly by knowing how to hold properly yourself

This.

My GF trains and is prepping to fight, too, but her pad holding isn't the greatest and I'm used to very good pad holders. No point in trying to make her do something she can't.

To the TS - get a heavy bag.

This. I've taught friends how to hold pads, but some people are just not that athletically gifted.Get a heavy bag or go the gym more often

Lol, communication generally, second the main refrain here. Heavy bag homework.

I tried teaching my girlfriend but no matter what I tell her she offers no resistance and as soon as I up the pace she panics. Maybe she is too girly but being able to do padwork at home is like a dream.

My girlfriend had to learn to hit pads well before she could learn to hold pads. I actually prefer my girlfriend holding pads for me more then most guys in group classes.

here are some good steps (no step can be rushed):
1) get her into the sport...until she wants to train
2) holds pads for her and get her into a gym
3) once she understand how pads are to be held and builds a basic level of strength, have her start holding pads for you with short combinations

My girlfriend is fine with holding pads, since she's trained before.

In order to be able to hold well, I think you should also know a bit about hitting them, so that you know what sort of pressure you should put back into them.

you teach someone how to hold properly by knowing how to hold properly yourself

^This.

A good pad holder isn't a mobile punching bag. A good pad holder is a sparring partner and a coach at the same time. It's a skill that takes a lot of time to develop.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back