How do you react against body shots?

McFlown

Green Belt
Reaction score
One of my problems when sparring is that I always seem to get dropped by a body shot, either to the solar plexus or a liver punch/kick. They hurt like shit and also make me look like a wuss when I keel over :mad:.

Does anyone have any good techniques to avoid/block/take a punch or kick aimed at the midsection? For now the only technique that I use is to lower my guard to block it, which doesn't work all the time.

avoid a punch is always better.i bet your partner goes for a head shot before he hits you to the body.this to make you raise your guard and leave your body open .just be aware when he goes for the head even a fake .the chances are a body shot is coming up

tuck ur elbow in tight against ur bottom rib, keepin ur hands up. if its a straight shot turn sideon. u can take biiig shots like that with no ill effects

Are you standing up straight when blocking your head?
If so, maybe you should hunch forward and keep your chin tucked in to your chest, elbows at the sides almost on the hips and hands on your temples. Hard to explain, but you should get the point.

Also, do what I do, MOVE MOVE MOVE!

for him to get a decent body shot off he needs to be fairly close to you, so just make sure you keep a safe distance from the shot and dont let him move in whatever you do

exhale, roll with the punch, clinch before it, keep him/her away with kicks

I am a sucker for body shots too. What I do is keep my elbow down, and in flurries, I try not let my right guard hand go too high. Since I box and not kickbox, I keep a "sidestance" and keep that door closed and that liver in the back and out of reach.

You gotta roll to the right man, roll into the body shot to take the power out of it.

Dropping the right elbow is nice too, but the reality is half that time the hook is going to be coming for your head, so you don't want to do it very much ... too dangerous. Plus a lot of guys who fire the left hook to the body love to double it up high and low.

Best bet is to punch the (#$@# in the head while you move away. If you're shelled up, not moving, and he wants to hit you to the body, he will. There's nothing you can do about it. You gotta move or put him on the defensive to have any luck.

Good luck. Body shots are the best btw, don't be afraid to use them! The BEST!!!

I have really long arms so I try to keep my elbows down so that they protect my ribs and body but occasionlly I get caught by suprise and boy do they sting

A lot of good advice given so far. You can also counter punch. If you see the body shot coming, take the punch and counter with a nice solid hook to the head. Do this a few times, and notice how he goes to the body less.

hmm what i am trying to say is hard to describe but i saw it in a benny uriquidez book. stand feet a little more than shoulder width apart put your hand high above your head then stike your kidneys or liver or watever, or stand the same hold your arms straight out in front of you an then hit your solar plexus with them. trust me it works. i sayd that cause every1 else already told you to block an move

stay outside and pump the jab use alot of movement, that ways he has to try a body shot from the outside cus he won't get in comfortable range to land a good one. U can always use u arms to pick it off..but ur head is open..and if ur tech/timing is not on point u will get hit in the body v4 ur arm gets there and get popped in the head by the followup.

u can always get underhooks and tieup as soon as someone gets past ur jab alot of boxers do this... one of the best thing to do is use exercises...and to work it into sparring to condition ur body to it, i mean u can still be hurt by body punches..lots of them and big ones. But ur body will be able to take it well enough for u to counter..get away or hurt ur opp.

have you ever tried sparring bodyshots only? my pro boxer uncle did this with me and he earned a lot of respect

either slip it/parry it or just go for his head. He will think twice about going for the body shot if you got him on the button. And yes as many have said EXHALE!

either slip it/parry it or just go for his head. He will think twice about going for the body shot if you got him on the button. And yes as many have said EXHALE!

i wouldnt be willing to trade a headshot for a body shot. iv dropped guys with body shots wen they went to my head , the twisting to get power exposes ur ribs more or something , i donno.

if you are getting dropped by body shots while sparring i think you need to try a different sport, or at least get conditioned to the feeling to you dont fall over. you are not going to be able to block all shots so it would be a good idea to set up a counter against your opponent for when he throws a body shot(s). try to make him pay for hitting you there and he will do it less often

OpethDrums said:
have you ever tried sparring bodyshots only? my pro boxer uncle did this with me and he earned a lot of respect

I spar with only body shots alot. Its helped me out alot

Work out your midsection very hard.

Turn your lead shoulder into the opponent when he punches your plexus, the punch should slide by.

Always keep your elbows in! I can't stress this one enough!

Kicks? Leg check. Dropping elbow so the arm takes the blow- although you can still get hurt and have a dead arm afterwards, leg check is better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back