How do you rate Rakic, Reyes and Walker + who'd you give the best chance to beat Jones? (and why?)

Not a believer in Walker at all and Reyes lost that fight to Volkan.

Rakic has got my vote.
I think it would've been understandable if they gave the fight to Volkan, really.
Big fan of Rakic so far as well, he's been going under the radar compared to Walker, but has looked devastating so far, can't wait for his next fight!
What makes you skeptical about Walker?

Don’t think we’ve see enough of Rakic or Walker against top competition to say yet. Reyes probably loses, he struggled and arguably lost in his only top fight.

Don’t think we’ve see enough of Rakic or Walker against top competition to say yet. Reyes probably loses, he struggled and arguably lost in his only top fight.
It'll definitely help us to evaluate the skills of both Rakic and Walker, seeing them go up against tougher competition in their next fights, they do however seem really promising so far imho.
Hm.. i understand the skepticism towards Reyes since his Volkan fight, but again, Volkan is completely different than Jones, albeit it being true that one would have to think that somebody who poses danger to Jones has to beat Volkan Oezdemir convincingly as well. Let's wait for his fight against Chris Weidman and see how he does there.

I think it would've been understandable if they gave the fight to Volkan, really.
Big fan of Rakic so far as well, he's been going under the radar compared to Walker, but has looked devastating so far, can't wait for his next fight!
What makes you skeptical about Walker?

My answer is not a rational one so you might not like it but I just don’t believe in the guy. Hasn’t beaten anyone of note as far as I’m concerned and his persona tells me that he’s weak minded with low self-esteem - doesn’t have what it takes to bring down the GOAT.

My answer is not a rational one so you might not like it but I just don’t believe in the guy. Hasn’t beaten anyone of note as far as I’m concerned and his persona tells me that he’s weak minded with low self-esteem - doesn’t have what it takes to bring down the GOAT.
Haha, i really don't like your reasons, you've got that right, but fair play for being honest man.

rakic, walker, santos with two knees all beat jones. reyes loses

rakic, walker, santos with two knees all beat jones. reyes loses
Jones was honestly lucky that Santos tore three (3!) ligaments in his knee during that fight... i do wonder though if he'll use his wrestling in an eventual rematch against Santos, as Santos is not known for being a great defensive wrestler.
Thiago Santos definitely deserves a ton of respect for how he fought against Jones, especially with his f*cked up knee. Still boggles my mind how well he continued to fight, that was insane.
I think Walker and Rakic are the best picks out of Rakic, Walker and Reyes as well, albeit not being sure if Reyes will definitely lose.
Rakic actually does remind me of Thiago Santos, with his explosive bursts of powerful strikes.. difference is that Rakic is a whole lot bigger and apparently more well rounded in general. The biggest threat for Jones against Rakic would be the low-kicks of the latter imo, they're insane really..
Walker with his combination of unpredictability, athleticism, size, power and creative striking really seems to have the tools to beat Jon as well.

Yeah the Krylov mention doesnt really make sense for me. He lost to Misha and Jan by sub and that pretty much shows you his limits. He can definetly overcome those fighters if he keeps improving, but even than the gap to Bones would just be to big imo. Hes really more like a solid top 10 guy in an improved LH division than an excititng title challenger.

Doesn't this likely apply to everyone though? If you're less than 30 I find the faith in improvement to be just as naive with all of them(the 4 I mentioned and even Volkan).

Interesting you mention Krylov, I’ve always liked him. Never thought about him and Jones fighting though. What makes you think Krylov could beat Jones?

I don't. I don't individually think any of them can beat Jones, give Rakic the best chance. That doesn't mean they won't be champ or relevant in the next era, judging how they compare to each other more than Jones here. Jones is the GOAT. No shame in not being able to beat him.

Think Corey Anderson has the best chance of beating Jones(via decision) and if he doesn't Jones likely retires undefeated in a few years.

Rakic.

Jones looks like age might just be catching up to him. If he fights Walker then Reyes, that's two more hard battles he's got to go through and knowing Jon, he'll probably get in some trouble between each of those fights further delaying his fighting career. He won't get around to Rakic for another 2 years and by that time he'll be out of his prime most likely.

So based on time alone, I think Rakic has the best chance.

If Johnny Walker defends the tdd against Corey anderson. I give him 95% in beating jones. Mark my words.

Walker by KO. You heard it here first! (for the 100th time)

I'm going with walker..

He throws shit no sane lhw would throw for long enough to catch anyone..

He can probably be wrestled yada yada but damn big guy throwing surprising shit..

I honestly would not be surprised if any one of them whipped Jon right now. These guys are bigger and better than Santos and Smith and have not even reached their ceilings yet.

Krylov should be on the list. And I have it Rakic, Krylov, Reyes and I don't think we have enough info on Walker to know for sure, could be anywhere from first to last in that group. His fights just tend to be super short and against low ranked competition and there's nothing tangible to validate that hype yet. It's crazy this could be the top 4(outside of the GOAT of course) for years.

Volkan beating Latifi made Reyes look much better by extension. It's why Reyes went from nowhere near a title shot to next in line. I'd even say he's better than Volkan and he won the fight. But I find Rakic and Krylov to be more promising.
He looked terrible against volkan and i think most people would agree that he should have lost the decision. In fact, I recall there being quite a few threads calling it a robbery even

First off, all three are cool prospects and all three are great for the future of the division. That said. I used to think, in order of likelihood to dethrone Jones:

Reyes, Rakic, Walker.

However, in the past 6months or so, its switched to the following order (least to most likely):

3 - Dominick Reyes
Man. He looked AWFUL against Volkan. Absolutely awful. He lost that fight for me, and he was getting out-wrestled by a Swiss-Turkish striker with no wrestling to speak of. That fight completely opened my eyes to his deficiencies. He doesnt have the KO power to cause Jones problems beofre being smushed on the mat.

2 - Aleksandar Rakic
Devin Clark was landing on him, a one-dimensional wrestler. He has good KO power and he's massive and athletic. I like his offensive wrestling but I'm unsure defensively. His standing remains the same.

1 - Johnny Walker
I am dubious of his chin. I am dubious of his wrestling, I am dubious about his very existence. I don't know if he's a good fighter. I just know I love watching him and I know he's a legitimate wild-card, loose cannon, axe murderer of a giant. The man who beats Jones will not out-smart him. He will not beat him with a strategy. The man who beats Jones will simply go fucking berzerk off the first bell and try to take his head off. Marreta had some success landing on him - Walker is more dangerous, MUCH bigger and massively more unpredictable. Chaos is the only way to victory. Whether Walker is the man to do it, who knows. Probably not.

Jonny Walker Beats Jones.

I don't see Jones beating him. He has destroyed everyone the UFC has put Infront of him.

I think Walker will get the LHW and HW belts. He is a big LHW and far too Athletic for any of the HW's.

Doesn't this likely apply to everyone though? If you're less than 30 I find the faith in improvement to be just as naive with all of them(the 4 I mentioned and even Volkan).
Im not sure if i understood you correctly, but i think its based on how you define "Improvement". With Krylov we have seen some longer fights against decent competition, and I personally havent seen anything from him that makes me believe he becomes a champ one day.
The difference to guys like Walker or Rakic for me is, that a) we havent seen much from them yet despite them basically walking through solid fighters, so its hard to make a precise prediction on how good they really can become. And b) I think a lot of what one would call "improvement" at that stage of the career and the sport comes by experience, which you can only gain by fighting high level competition that actually challenge you.
That doesnt mean, that I firmly believe Rakic or Walker have way better chances of winning a title than Krylov. Just at this point its more likely for me, because they lokked really decent a bring a lot of stuff that could trouble the current champ. But that perception can obviously just change with every fight. If Walker e.g. gets wrestlefcked by Corey, i gues noone will have him as a future champ anytime soon.

One could definitely add Krylov to the list, but Rakic, Reyes and Walker just were the ones on top of my mind and i haven't seen anything of Krylov so far (literally speaking) but looking at his record, it makes me skeptical that he's been submitted 5 times already. To be fair though, he's had 31 pro fights at 27 years of age, so there's still a lot of room for improvement!
With Walker it really is kinda difficult to evaluate him as of now, since - like you've said - we've only seen him for an extremely short period of time in the UFC, but i think it's really not far fetched to acknowledge that he's got serious talent and the physical tools to be a force to be reckoned with at LHW.
Regarding Volkan - Latifi + Volkan - Reyes i agree; i also think that Volkan - Reyes was closer than people give Reyes credit for and it should also be noted, that Volkan is still only 29 years old as well and a difficult matchup for anybody who's not that good of an offensive wrestler.
..and yeah, Rakic definitely looks very promising imo.

Well, it's true that we've never seen anybody testing Walkers wrestling/takedown-defense in the UFC so i think he's definitely in for a good test against Anderson. But even if Corey Anderson beats him with his wrestling, i don't think that Johnny Walker would be much less of a prospect then. I mean: it's better to be dominated by a wrestler, than it is to get lit up by a striker on the feet (most of the times) and with his young age, Walker still as a lot of time to improve.

Reyes really is the least spectacular of the three, but having said that, his rather conventional approach to striking shouldn't fool people into thinking that he's an average striker; i think technically he might be one of the best if not the best in the division - that is not to accuse you of underestimating Reyes though, just stating my opinion towards him, as i've already said, the things that make me skeptic about Reyes is the fact that he's not putting a lot of pressure on and is the smallest one out of the three (being 193cm/6'4" tall, he's not generally small by any means though for a LHW).
Agreed about Walker looking insanely good so far, but we'll have to wait how he fares against better opponents. I'm pretty optimistic though and i also think that he might have a really good chance of dethronign Jones in the rather near future.

Hm.. Reyes is not a power puncher by any means and it'd surely help against Jones having dynamite in his limbs, but why do you think he'd gas out against Jones? I think his cardio has looked pretty solid so far, except against Volkan maybe, but he took some damage in that fight, so it's undertsandable i think.

This. Walker is a giant for a light heavyweight and is a tall and really rangy guy as well. The reasons you've mentioned are some of the main reasons why i also think he's able to pose tons of danger to Jon. Jon really relies on his reach, but with his reach advantage being diminished to such a little number, it won't be too much of an advantage, especially against someone who's that explosive and as you've said good in closing the distance fast.

The inability to tell a lot about Walker because of his little fight time in the UFC really is an advantage for Walker, but i still think that albeit Jones is good at exposing his opponents flaws, the main reason for Jon's dominance is the fact that with his reach, great linear striking from distance and dominant clinch-game from close ranges he's a bad matchup for almost everyone in terms of striking and with his great wrestling he's been able to hang with elite-wrestlers as well so far. I think that proficient strikers his size who're both good at kicking and boxing, ideally have knockout-power and the ability to not get taken down at will from him, have the best chances of beating him, hence i've been talking about Reyes, Rakic and Walker.

Well the "big three" and omission of Krylov is what I've generally seen. Wasn't a reference to you in particular. Generally speaking most people I see discussing it see it as a trio. Agree with Walker the possibility all he's being hyped as comes to fruition is there but he's at a point still where the hype train could be entirely derailed. I think Walker is hyped because he's the most marketable of the fighters, catchy name, appealing personality, fast KO's that fit in a highlight reel.

Think the perception Volkan v Reyes was a robbery comes from the fact that at that time, Reyes was the golden boy while Volkan's stock had plummented from the DC and Smith fights. People came in with their expectations, Volkan exceeded those low ones and Reyes failed to meet those high ones and from that view Volkan looks like the winner. IMO Reyes won the fight 2-1.

MMA math might not apply perfectly to actual MMA but it does apply to how fans view fighters competition. Smith beating Gus and Volkan beating Latifi by extension has boosted Reyes's stock by association without Reyes even fighting again.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back