How do you rank Roy and Tyson on the top 20 all time list

Hirashin

This is not a profession
Banned
Reaction score
They are both legendary fighters of our era and great champions. IPT they both deserve to be in the top10 all time boxer's list. How do rank these two boxers?

Skipping a whole weight class to win a world championship at HW against a prime champ no tune up is a huge deal no matter how u put it or what were the circumstances, and it's laughable to deny it. any coach or promoter or agent would never

He made history that day, and deserves to be in every top 5 P4P list of all time.

As for Tyson, hmmm, only guys i'd put ahead of him are Ali, Louis, Lewis, Evander, and Wlad. So to me he's the 6th best HW of all time.

Roy's in the top 10 all time, maybe top 5. Tyson doesn't make the top 20, top 50 for sure.

If you were to rank each based on their best night and not entire careers, Roy is probably #1 and Tyson is in the top 10.

I feel that they're both in the conversation but not in the Top 20 All-Time p4p greats.

They were both Average sized men (5'11") who were able to dominate guys their size and bigger, sometimes spotting opponents 20-30 pounds. However you cut it that's impressive.

I just think that neither of them had the ability to deal with adversity to jump into that hallowed Top 20 All-Time p4p list. They were supremely dominant and then when they got starched they went to shit. Look at Manny... he got slept by Marquez and ten years later... he's still at the top of the welterweight division.

Roy's skill set in his prime has the potential for a top 5 all time great fighter.

Roy's resume however does not match it at all. Toney was a great win, regardless of the shape Toney was in, he was a top P4P fighter and undefeated when Roy beat him. Hopkins was a good win though B Hop had yet to come into his own as a boxer.

Other than that, it's not the best list of names. He's got some quality opponents, some good and a lot of wait who on his resume.

Roy would certainly be in that top 20 bracket had he retired earlier. His losses later really hurt his legacy.

Tyson might be a top ten HW.

At their best they are both phenoms but we are talking about the best ever. Both at their best were amongst the best fighters to ever compete at the weight classes they competed in.

Unfortunately others have comparative careers and better wins.

I think Roys resume is underrated and if you look at him up to Ruiz you might put him in the best 20 ever, maybe.

Tyson has also become underrated but he's maybe a top 5-10 HW all time. So no way he is a top 20 fighters all time.

I'd put them in a top 20 of my lifetime (I'm 35). Roy Jones is the most talented fighter I have seen in my life IMO. He was incredible. I'd have him top 5, maybe top 3 since I started watching boxing.

Tyson is a little before my time. Youngest champion and the style he destroyed counts for something but when you stack his career up I'd put Lennox and Evander of his own generation as better all time and that's just HW/

A lot of weird variables and circumstances with both guys, so it's tough to say, exactly. Here's what I know for sure:

Wherever you rank Floyd, you probably need to rank Roy higher. There's no way to look at their first 50 fights and come away thinking Floyd is the better or more accomplished fighter.

Roy could have called it quits after Ruiz... or even after Tarver 1... and he'd have been hailed a top 5 P4P fighter forever. He kept fighting and that hurt him. But the truth is, he sacrificed his dominance in order to go up in weight and win that HW strap. He came back down too suddenly, was slower and softer, and paid for it. Doesn't detract from what he was for 50 fights up to that point. Not 20 fights. Not 30. 50. That's a career.

A lot of weird variables and circumstances with both guys, so it's tough to say, exactly. Here's what I know for sure:

Wherever you rank Floyd, you probably need to rank Roy higher. There's no way to look at their first 50 fights and come away thinking Floyd is the better or more accomplished fighter.

Roy could have called it quits after Ruiz... or even after Tarver 1... and he'd have been hailed a top 5 P4P fighter forever. He kept fighting and that hurt him. But the truth is, he sacrificed his dominance in order to go up in weight and win that HW strap. He came back down too suddenly, was slower and softer, and paid for it. Doesn't detract from what he was for 50 fights up to that point. Not 20 fights. Not 30. 50. That's a career.

Eh, I think you can come away, easily thinking Floyd is better and more skilled. Roy is definitely more athletic, and probably the most athletic boxer ever. However, he did a lot of stuff you're not suppose to do, which is why he ended up getting KOed a bunch of times. Floyd was both very athletic/talented, and much more skilled.

I would have Roy in the top 10-20, Floyd in the top 5... Tyson in the top 50.

Eh, I think you can come away, easily thinking Floyd is better and more skilled. Roy is definitely more athletic, and probably the most athletic boxer ever. However, he did a lot of stuff you're not suppose to do, which is why he ended up getting KOed a bunch of times. Floyd was both very athletic/talented, and much more skilled.

I would have Roy in the top 10-20, Floyd in the top 5... Tyson in the top 50.

If you look at Roy's first 50 fights, up against Floyd's 50 fight career, the KOs post Ruiz don't factor in. It's hard to say what we'd see from Floyd if he continued to fight top level competition right now, because he stopped fighting at the point in his career where Roy started losing. Assuming he'd win fights that he won't even take is an odd way to justify giving him a higher ranking, in my opinion.

If you look at Roy's first 50 fights, up against Floyd's 50 fight career, the KOs post Ruiz don't factor in. It's hard to say what we'd see from Floyd if he continued to fight top level competition right now, because he stopped fighting at the point in his career where Roy started losing. Assuming he'd win fights that he won't even take is an odd way to justify giving him a higher ranking, in my opinion.

Even the first 50 fights are not as good as Floyd's first 50. Floyd fought more champions, who were champ/belt holders at the time of the fight, and has the best compubox stats. Even back during his prime, Roy got a lot of criticism for his opposition, much more so than criticism Floyd got (who also got/gets a lot)

edit: I also feel Floyd's performances vs Chico, Gatti, N'dou, even vs Canelo, as visually as impressive as any of Roy's

Even the first 50 fights are not as good as Floyd's first 50. Floyd fought more champions, who were champ/belt holders at the time of the fight, and has the best compubox stats. Even back during his prime, Roy got a lot of criticism for his opposition, much more so than criticism Floyd got (who also got/gets a lot)

edit: I also feel Floyd's performances vs Chico, Gatti, N'dou, even vs Canelo, as visually as impressive as any of Roy's

The Canelo fight is the only thing that makes it close to me. Roy's offense, combined with his jump to HW (precisely because there just wasn't anything very challenging for him in the lighter weight classes), and the fact that Floyd really did wait on a lot of fights until the timing tilted much more in his favour, makes it really hard for me to put Floyd at any better than a virtual tie with Roy.

What clinches it for me is that Roy took on Ruiz at about the same point in his career as Floyd took on Conor. I get that it was a massive money fight and anyone would have done the same. But that doesn't change the fact that there's still no way to stack it up in comparison with jumping to HW and grabbing a belt.

Then Floyd fades away and Roy keeps fighting top competition and gets KOd.

The Canelo fight is the only thing that makes it close to me. Roy's offense, combined with his jump to HW (precisely because there just wasn't anything very challenging for him in the lighter weight classes), and the fact that Floyd really did wait on a lot of fights until the timing tilted much more in his favour, makes it really hard for me to put Floyd at any better than a virtual tie with Roy.

What clinches it for me is that Roy took on Ruiz at about the same point in his career as Floyd took on Conor. I get that it was a massive money fight and anyone would have done the same. But that doesn't change the fact that there's still no way to stack it up in comparison with jumping to HW and grabbing a belt.

Then Floyd fades away and Roy keeps fighting top competition and gets KOd.

Lol wut? Jones was like 34 or something when he fought Ruiz. That is when Floyd was fighting Cotto, Canelo, Mosley, Pac. Maidana.

So you could say that at the same point of their career, Roy was getting KOed and fighting people like Trinidad who had not fought on 2 years.

Floyd faught Conner when he was like 40 or 41, which is around whe Roy was getting Koed by Danny Green

They are both legendary fighters of our era and great champions. IPT they both deserve to be in the top10 all time boxer's list. How do rank these two boxers?

I dont think anyone but you would have Tyson in the Top 10. Jones Jr. is probably Top 20 but not Top 10 imo.

Lol wut? Jones was like 34 or something when he fought Ruiz. That is when Floyd was fighting Cotto, Canelo, Mosley, Pac. Maidana.

So you could say that at the same point of their career, Roy was getting KOed and fighting people like Trinidad who had not fought on 2 years.

Floyd faught Conner when he was like 40 or 41, which is around whe Roy was getting Koed by Danny Green

They didn't reach the same points in their career at the same age. Partly because Floyd waited out most of his most clear threats until they'd been softened up a little by other fighters.

I dont think anyone but you would have Tyson in the Top 10. Jones Jr. is probably Top 20 but not Top 10 imo.

It took me 1 minute to find Tyson ranked in the top 10 and even top 5, so I am not alone.

https://www.sportbible.com/boxing/n...time-have-been-ranked-by-boxing-fans-20200717
https://sportsshow.net/greatest-boxers-of-all-time/
https://www.nbcsports.com/fans-top-5-greatest-boxers-all-time#slide-6

but don't get me wrong, I am not a an expert in boxing, so I don't argue whether he should be in the top 10 or not. I do think however that Roy is a better boxer than Tyson.

Back