how do you pronounce Kyokushin

it's not kee yo, it's kyo. The k is just a quick little fricative type sound before the 'yo'

then coo shin

The part you wrote about "kyo" is correct. I put it down as "Key-Yo," because if you say it fast, you get the correct pronunciation.

The part you wrote about "coo," however, is incorrect. In this instance, the "u" is silent.

A lot of whether you don't pronounce certain vowels or change nn to mm depends on what region of Japan you're from so it varies, but for the most part pronouncing Japanese words isn't difficult to understand. Five vowels:
a i u e o
a = ahh
i = ee
u = oo
e = eh
o = oh

kyoh koo sheen is how I would type the pronunciation in a casual manner.

A lot of whether you don't pronounce certain vowels or change nn to mm depends on what region of Japan you're from so it varies, but for the most part pronouncing Japanese words isn't difficult to understand. Five vowels:
a i u e o
a = ahh
i = ee
u = oo
e = eh
o = oh

kyoh koo sheen is how I would type the pronunciation in a casual manner.

True, there are different dialects in Japan, just like there are here in America.

One of the nice thing about learning Japanese, though, is how vowels are ALWAYS pronounced the same (except on the occasion of them being silent). Although, for some reason, a lot of people think "e" is pronounced "aye," even though it's not. Not sure why so many people mess "e" up.

How Japanese pronounce Kyokushin, and how non-japanese try to pronounce it (first word said in the video, at about 0,06 into the video)

Don't listen to what others are saying; they are wrong. The correct pronunciation is:

"Key-Yoke-Sheen"

That's "key" as in "car keys," "yoke" as in "egg yoke" and "sheen" as in "her hair had a sheen to it."

"O"s, in Japanese, are pronounced "oh," like the "o" in the word "poke."

"I"s, in Japanese, are pronounced "ee," like the "e" in the word "me."

"U"s, in Japanese, are pronounced like the "u" in "blue," but in some instances, in Japanese, vowels are not pronounced. This is the case for the "u" in "kyokushin."

EDIT: Source: "Kyokushin" is a Japanese word, and I know the basics of Japanese.

You have the right idea but your accent is wrong.

"Shin" Is not pronounced as "Sheen" it's pronounced similar to how you would say "shin" (of your leg).
O is not a long "O" as in Poke. Again it's a short o.
I is not a long "e" like me. Short i.
U is indeed not pronounced, but again is not a long "u" like in Blue.

When the u is after a "k", it is usually silent, you are correct there.

Americans have a tendency to overly emphasize the vowels in foreign words and make them long sounds, this is a result of being used to American English. This is totally averse to many Asian languages (including Japanese) which tend to have short vowel sounds.

Kyoh - k - shin

That's how I see it phonetically (studied japanese for 5 years). The 'yo' drags off the K so you get a Kyoh sound, then you drop the U in pronunciation then go with shin.

edit: just saw the video above me.. use that as a perfect guide.

My Japanese kickboxing instructor pronounces it

Kyouk-sheen

I think it was during a dream or K-1 broadcast when Schiavello pronounced it something like kay yoh ku shin which I've never heard before lol. Had to think for a second to figure it out.

Key-0h-Q-Shin is how I pronunce it

kayy yohhh kewwww shhhinn

^ this is the correct one, my sensei reckons this is the original prunsation.

/thread

why do westerners find it so hard to pronounce 'kyo'?

its like kyok shin

Back