How do you finish the arm triangle from the guard?

Rayrobinson#1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been a topic before sure it probably has so I apologize.

I can finish the arm triangle when on top and I can use my weight to sink their shoulder into their neck but how do you do it from the guard. The way Horn did it to Liddell 1 looked like he just had it real tight but not sure the key. Any suggestions?

I usually lock it in, sweep and get on top to finish

If it's applied properly to begin with, there's not much more that needs to be done. Hip out a little bit on your head side, maybe.

Edit: Yeah, just tried it. Hip out to the side your own head is on, lock your guard and squeeze the choke.

yeah it's pretty hard to finish from the bottom, coz you can't put your weight on it... i would use it to sweep, then finish on top as 3s_em1 said

I think one key is to make sure his arm is trapped across his face or neck and not to let him get it up farther toward his forehead. I've found that it can be finished from 1/2 guard or guard with fair success, though it takes a bit more strength than when on top.

when you go for the arm triangle go into the crunch position. Once you have it applied keep your legs locked and try to stretch out straight. I don't catch many people in it from the bottom, but I've never had anybody get out if I have it locked in. It hurts like hell.

If it's applied properly to begin with, there's not much more that needs to be done. Hip out a little bit on your head side, maybe.

Edit: Yeah, just tried it. Hip out to the side your own head is on, lock your guard and squeeze the choke.

That is how I do it. I sometimes kick out his far knee to break him down. You have to have a good squeeze but it is totally doable.

Lots of people are saying squeeze - Nobody is saying breath in!

Obviously loads of people are missing out on this part of the technique. Always use breathinging as the first part of the choke and then squeeze with your muscles afterwards

You have to move to the side of your opponent. If you have the arm triangle in the guard and you are straight up with your opponent you are not really choke them. If you move to side slightly then you are choke the corroded arterie and your opponent is much more likely to choke. Another think you can do is shrimp your hips out, establish a hook sweep your opponent, and finish from the top.

this is may be incorrect technique, but i recently found that if you get your wrist blade on the carotid, as opposed to a deep bicep-hitting-the-neck arm around the neck, you can cut off that one side and get the tap.

This is what I do. Just that little move to the side is all you really need. I have never had much trouble finishing it once I lock it in from guard.

Back