• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How do you feel about your intelligence?

I don't think I'm a complete idiot but of course nobody wants to think that about themselves. But I'm definitely no genius. I usually didn't do well in math or sciences in school, and I'm not very good at memorizing things. I could read a history book and get the overall gist and the point the author is making, but I wouldn't remember details like years or names very well. Part of the problem for me is also laziness. I don't like putting in the work unless I really want to. I can analyze things logically pretty well I think but I tend to think too much as well. I do think I'm a pretty good critical thinker at least compared to the people around me, and I am pretty self-aware.

I don't care that I'm no math whiz but there are areas I wish I can improve, like being better at thinking on my feet. I usually need time to think about things and in the heat of the moment I sometimes make pretty retarded decisions. For example I have not used a condom and sometimes even nutted inside girls I don't really know. I know that is extremely retarded and I am extremely lucky I didn't catch anything or have an illegitimate child running around somewhere.

I think age is relevant, the vast majority of about 16 to 20 somethings think they know it all. I'm 47 and for in the last few years have had to admit that I'm not as smart as I thought I was. I'm no dummy, but I over estimated myself for a long time.

That's an odd gauge of intelligence isn't it, "people come to me for help"? Surely there's something a bit more significant?

I think of myself in the top 95% of the average human. That is because of test scores. It is because of how I have done in my career. But mostly, how everyone interacts with me. Everyone comes to me with their problems. Friends and co workers. No matter if it is fixing a computer or car or relationship problems. Now that being said, I find when I get into a conversation with people more intelligent than me, and it has happened numerous times right here, I feel like I am an idiot. It isn't like I can sort of get it because I am almost as smart. I am plain fucking lost. It is like a complete drop off.

So is that how it is with you guys? I am not asking how intelligent you are. But how do you feel when you are talking with people that are more intelligent.
I'm curious. what kind of test scores? Have you tried the gmat?

That's an odd gauge of intelligence isn't it, "people come to me for help"? Surely there's something a bit more significant?
Probably meant that others consult him for advice, which is a slightly better gauge of intelligence, although it could also signify age and expected wisdom. But it's always complimentary when someone respects you enough to ask for advice, unless it's about how to bury a dead hooker.

Also, it depends on the subject matter of the convo. You may be lost because they are well versed in that subject and have considerable knowledge/experience on it, while you don't have any. It doesn't mean they are more intelligent than you, it just means you are less qualified to talk about it. For example, if you've never taken a business course and you end up conversing with someone about investing or finance or economics you will be lost and you may feel dumb but thats only because you dont have the prior knowledge to hold your end in the convo.

I'm exceptionally smart. I'm also lazy. If not for my laziness I could have been the next Brick Tamland.

I'm intelligent enough to realize I'm nothing special at all when it comes to intelligence. I can learn most stuff pretty easily though.

Also, it depends on the subject matter of the convo. You may be lost because they are well versed in that subject and have considerable knowledge/experience on it, while you don't have any. It doesn't mean they are more intelligent than you, it just means you are less qualified to talk about it. For example, if you've never taken a business course and you end up conversing with someone about investing or finance or economics you will be lost and you may feel dumb but thats only because you dont have the prior knowledge to hold your end in the convo.

This is a very good point.

I feel pretty much the same way. I'm mostly a jack of all trades which probably makes it seem that I'm a lot smarter than I actually am. I've had conversations where my go to response was " mmhhmm, right, and yes" cause I had no idea what they were talking about.

I used to think I was smart. Now I just think I'm wise.

im not as smart as i think i am
im smarter than most people

According to tests and shit I'm supposedly really smart but I still feel dumb a lot of the time.

That's why I post here. It makes me feel smarter.

People think I'm smart because I use fancy sounding words in casual conversation, can write well, and seem to have my shit together.

I guess I'm smart enough to avoid doing obviously dumb or potentially dumb things. But not smart enough to do genius type shit.

My memory is sure going down the tubes as I age though...

I feel smarter than the average person around my hometown, but then again my hometown is a little college town in Tennessee so... Is that really saying much?

Eh I'm MAYBE slightly above average at best. Moving around living around only poor people, I feel like a fucking genius.

The majority of people where I live now are just painfully stupid. No common sense or problem solving and entitled to boot. They actually think it's the job of other people to think for them.

{<huh}

If I want to have an intellectually stimulating conversation I have to call someone, or fucking come here of all places.

Not the smartest guy, but certainly no slouch. Used to think I was much more intelligent until I started working at MS. Nothing humbles you more than being around extremely intelligent people.

Luckily my willpower and drive help me overcome the deficit in that department.

Top 2%... intelligent enough to realize i'm constantly forced to interact with less intelligent people. Speaking with more intelligent people is a welcomed thing, sometimes it's too much but mostly it helps to expand perspective and think about things from a different angle...

Unless there is a clear definition of the term intelligence, I have no idea. Odds are, I'm no genius. I probably excel at some aspects and not do as well in others. Some of my strengths do include problem solving and critical thinking though.

tfw brainlet

brainlettttt.jpg

I think of myself in the top 95% of the average human. That is because of test scores. It is because of how I have done in my career. But mostly, how everyone interacts with me. Everyone comes to me with their problems. Friends and co workers. No matter if it is fixing a computer or car or relationship problems. Now that being said, I find when I get into a conversation with people more intelligent than me, and it has happened numerous times right here, I feel like I am an idiot. It isn't like I can sort of get it because I am almost as smart. I am plain fucking lost. It is like a complete drop off.

So is that how it is with you guys? I am not asking how intelligent you are. But how do you feel when you are talking with people that are more intelligent.

according to this, i'd say you are probably in the middle to low end of the top 95%...

<{blankeye}>

tumblr_m3fb5uCe9v1rpsqbbo1_500.gif

I was tested a few times in my life due to how I behaved in school growing up. Quickly bored and concepts came easy to me that seemed more than foreign to almost all classmates. This resulted in a 90 minute counselor administrated IQ test. Results showed me at top 2% in the nation. I was put into "gifted" classes for a few years before I dropped out. It wasn't really until I started working in corporate America where I really saw and felt the disparity between myself and my peers. These were supposed to be higher level roles that my peers just could not grasp the concepts we were trying to incorporate. This inevitably led me to working in IT where I work around many other intelligent people. Through this I've found that most highly intellectual people are missing a key component to the real work and that's the emotional intelligence factor. I haven't met many that can swing both aspects.

Back