• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How do you all feel about young kids watching MMA fights?

My 5 year old son watches mma and is a fan of Jon Jones.

It was a joke, darling. You worded it funny.

There's a difference between "sheltering", and exposure to appropriate materials at appropriate times. "They're gonna see it anyways " is lazy, piss poor parenting. If you want what's best for your kid, you don't just accept whatever bullshit and not try to do anything about it.
Control the things you can. Throwing up your hands and saying "fuck it" is not how to raise a kid.

And lol at "unarmed combat being a way of life" Since when? For whom? Even centuries ago, it wasn't like everyone was a fucking warrior.
Centuries ago you married your cousin when you were 12 and died at around 40....ah....the good ole days.
<36>

Marrying cousins is messed up. There is nothing messed up about combat, especially unarmed combat. My parents kept me away from martial arts, and guess what? I was in fights everyday growing up anyways. My kids will be trained and watching it at a very young age, and they will be better for it. Dorks that are too sensitive can do what they want, but they won't be better off for it.

Marrying cousins is messed up. There is nothing messed up about combat, especially unarmed combat. My parents kept me away from martial arts, and guess what? I was in fights everyday growing up anyways. My kids will be trained and watching it at a very young age, and they will be better for it. Dorks that are too sensitive can do what they want, but they won't be better off for it.
Who said there was anything wrong with knowing how to fight?
I started kendo and karate at 8, and then went on to boxing from 12 to now.
You were talking about a time that did not exist. Your average kids were not training combat centuries ago. The world of today isn't remotely comparable to that time anyways.
It's not an all or nothing game. There's appropriate times to show kids stuff, amd inappropriate times. And the appropriate time is when they have the capability to understand what they're watching , and when there is a capable adult there to guide them. A 5 year old cannot fully comprehend an MMA match. And they shouldn't be watching them on a regular basis unless they are involved in regular training alongside a parent.

To casually watch it I say its a good idea.

Keeps them grounded and doesn't give them a false sense of reality when it comes to combat.

I'm not so sure about 5 years old, but 9 or 10 years old shouldn't be bad.

I don't think kids can get messed up in the head by watching anything on TV.

But I still don't think it's appropriate to watch real fights too early.
Coming to an event isn't that bad though cause then they have parents with them to explain everything. I think it might be worse if they just watch highlight reel knockouts by themselves with no context.

There's a big difference between kids who actually train martial arts and get to know how much work, respect and technique goes into it. Compared to just watching.

No big deal. I ref my children fighting all the time. One of my kids has a good RNC. It's normal.

Not a problem for me with conditions kidz 5-12 equipment for competition 13 ↑↑↑ You good to go... If it's real I don't hide it from my kidz, I try to explain it the best I can; Or I lie...

Back