How do most Sunni and Shiite Muslims view/treat each other?

TheLastEmperorReurns

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
A scholar in a vox video said that the Catholicism-Protestant parallel is wrong because the Sunni and Shiite split was apparently much less violent and extreme.

he suggested the geopolitical divide today is a result of 20th century events.

just curious if Sunni and Shiite Muslims (the everyday people of both faiths) actually accept each other unlike the leaders of their countries

It's horse shit because it's not like they peacefully drifted away from each other like Orthodox vs Catholicism. It started out with violence.

Taqiyya, which used to be brought up a lot, is mainly a Shia thing, since they historically had to hide their identity.

The Catholic-Protestant wars were very intense but in the big scheme was short lived. Sunni-Shia conflict never disappeared. Yes, the current political borders are a huge part of the problem but that doesn't mean it was great before then.

It varies with time and place, despite the situation typically being a Shia minority in a Sunni country or region. With more Salafist and Wahhabist influence, the minority rights disappear.

Certainly there have been time in which Shias have persecuted Sunni minorities, but the swing is typically the other way.

It's horse shit because it's not like they peacefully drifted away from each other like Orthodox vs Catholicism. It started out with violence.

Taqiyya, which used to be brought up a lot, is mainly a Shia thing, since they historically had to hide their identity.

The Catholic-Protestant wars were very intense but in the big scheme was short lived. Sunni-Shia conflict never disappeared. Yes, the current political borders are a huge part of the problem but that doesn't mean it was great before then.

The Catholic and Protestant conflict has been the only lens to view the English/Irish situation for hundreds of years. Progs and Taigs have been murdering each other over the schism for hundreds of years.

It also informed the conflict in Bosnia-Herzegovina, and the Rwandan genocide, and this is merely in the last quarter century.

this post smells like Splendica, aka Jihad Joe McPherson.

he suddenly disappeared after it became public that he was gay, & he would recite the exact same shit you are. your join date falls too perfectly with this.

Anecdotal but I had two 2nd generation canadian engineers on my team who hated each other simply because one was sunni and the other was shiite

The Shia never commit terrorism or mass murder against Sunni Muslims. No mosque bombings, no market bombings, no targeted killings just bc they are sunni.

they also protect their fellow minorities like alawites, Druze, Christians and yazidis from the sunni hordes.

Well Wahhabist Sunni Muslims, well they murder and abuse all they come across.

I'm just posting here to follow the thread but in my experience in the middle east they hate each other even at the local/farmer/village level. I've literally heard village leaders threaten murder simply because the next village was primarily the opposite of what they are(Sunni/Shiite).

It varies with time and place, despite the situation typically being a Shia minority in a Sunni country or region. With more Salafist and Wahhabist influence, the minority rights disappear.

Certainly there have been time in which Shias have persecuted Sunni minorities, but the swing is typically the other way.

The Catholic and Protestant conflict has been the only lens to view the English/Irish situation for hundreds of years. Progs and Taigs have been murdering each other over the schism for hundreds of years.

It also informed the conflict in Bosnia-Herzegovina, and the Rwandan genocide, and this is merely in the last quarter century.
Protestant-Catholic issues had virtually no role in the Rwandan genocide and Bosnia has no Protestants, at least not a significant amount. It is a Orthodox-Catholic country in terms of Christians

The Irish-British conflict is undeniably Catholic-Protestant though but that’s just one conflict.

If Sunni’s and Shias were only killing each other in Iraq, we would just view it as a local problem.

No, it's been a nasty and violent conflict from the beginning. And that should come as no surprise when you consider the fact that islam is an incoherent mess with a capricious dictator god and a vicious desert warlord as the prime moral example.

this post smells like Splendica, aka Jihad Joe McPherson.

he suddenly disappeared after it became public that he was gay, & he would recite the exact same shit you are. your join date falls too perfectly with this.
Re-read my post. Just because I said “Taqiyya” doesn’t mean I’m endorsing his retarded, inaccurate version.

I’m informing the historical context that Shia Muslims lied about their faith to not be killed.

Protestant-Catholic issues had virtually no role in the Rwandan genocide and Bosnia has no Protestants, at least not a significant amount. It is a Orthodox-Catholic country in terms of Christians

The Irish-British conflict is undeniably Catholic-Protestant though but that’s just one conflict.

If Sunni’s and Shias were only killing each other in Iraq, we would just view it as a local problem.

The Rwandan genocide had it's origins in Catholic dogma. The speak of cockroaches came from the Church directly, and the Ctaholic establishment issued decrees to international organizations trying to find the Tutsi somewhere other to live than Rwanda. The Church also played an instrumental role in the genocide itself. One need only look at Munyeshyaka to see the role the church played in the nation.

I miswrote in relation to Bosnia-Herzegovina. I should've clarified. The specific war in the 1990s was an example of the loving relationship between Muslims and Catholics, but Bosnian's Christian community has a centuries long record of persecution from Catholics, branded heretics.

You've also got the Yugoslav wars amongst other schisms, but I also disagree with your initial point, which seemed to also suggest that the schism wasn't a centuries long series of wars and persecutions.
I meant

Re-read my post. Just because I said “Taqiyya” doesn’t mean I’m endorsing his retarded, inaccurate version.

I’m informing the historical context that Shia Muslims lied about their faith to not be killed.

something ol' Joe would say, but sure.

The Rwandan genocide had it's origins in Catholic dogma. The speak of cockroaches came from the Church directly, and the Ctaholic establishment issued decrees to international organizations trying to find the Tutsi somewhere other to live than Rwanda. The Church also played an instrumental role in the genocide itself. One need only look at Munyeshyaka to see the role the church played in the nation.

I miswrote in relation to Bosnia-Herzegovina. I should've clarified. The specific war in the 1990s was an example of the loving relationship between Muslims and Catholics, but Bosnian's Christian community has a centuries long record of persecution from Catholics, branded heretics.

You've also got the Yugoslav wars amongst other schisms, but I also disagree with your initial point, which seemed to also suggest that the schism wasn't a centuries long series of wars and persecutions.
I meant
If your point is that Christianity can be involved in violent conflict, that’s fine, but it’s not what I was talking about.

I know that the Catholic Church has a shameful role in what would lead to the Rwandan genocide, but I’m talking about a very specific conflict which is often compared to the Sunni-Shia split.

Protestant-Catholic tensions were intense but in the grand scheme of history, 200 years isn’t that long.

Sunni-Shia split and persecution of each other existed since the very beginning of Islam. That’s why I take issue with the notion that Sunni-Shia relations were so much better compared to Catholic-Protestant relations.

There's more conflict because the Shia have become more powerful.

The Sunni historically have had overwhelming control over the middle-east and were in positions of governance. The Shiite were in subservient positions for almost the entire history of the region, attaining short-lived power in only a few instances. There's no conflict when there's a crushing winner. It's not because they're peace-loving or anything like that.

Since the Iranian revolution, Iran is officially a Shiite republic. Iran is also one the strongest and most well-organised countries in the middle-east, it's relatively powerful. Iraq is majority Shia and under Iranian influence. Assad in Syria is also running a minority Shia government ruling over a Sunni majority, which unsurprisingly creates conflict. Hezbollah, an Iranian proxy, has been trying to extend Shia influence in Lebanon. The Shiite have been historically oppressed in pretty much all Muslim countries, so there's a lot of grievances to address / exploit as political capital, depending on how you want to see it. There's also been funding of militia by Saudi Arabia in Pakistan, who then fought with militia funded by Iran.

An Islam thread turning into a Christian Man Bad fuck fest.

And I read that Sunnis hate Shias more than non-muslims as they deemed Shias being islamic heretics.

Back