• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How did you get your job?

My current one I actually found online. I put my resume on line and was getting weird ass bull crap offers so I took the initiative myself and started searching for specific places and sending them my resume rather than waiting for people to come to me.

Took me less than 2 weeks to get several good offers to choose from once I did that.

Sent my resume and an application. Never had much luck with networking and getting the req in on jobs.

Last edited:
Used to manage a guy who worked for this company. Apparently I treated him well because he put in a good word for me here and the rest is history. Moral of the story - karma is real.

..a real bitch.

Amiright?

I showed up to the same Temp agency 3 times a week for months, it was to the point the receptionist had a seething rage in her eyes when I walked in. Eventually they gave me a shot at the company I wanted working a shift no one wanted. 5 years later and i plan to retire here unless they fire or lay me off somehow

Lol, what? She was mad she had to do her job?

I haven't had many jobs so I remember each one.

Baskin Robbins: 1st job at 18. I went through the entire process of applying in person and going through an interview process. I got a call back and was hired.

Valet: I went with my cousin who went to pick up a application for the job. They hired him on the spot and then asked me if I would like to work too.

Kaiser Hospital: My senior year in college I did a practicum for my major at Kaiser for 3 months. Since I decided to wait a year before applying to an internship they offered me a tech job. No interview required.

1st professional job: After I did my internship, the same hospital offered me a job. No interview required. Worked there for 5 years, including advancement to chief of clinical during my last year. No interview required again.

2nd professional job: A old colleague worked at another hospital and said there was a positioned opened and asked if I wanted it. Got the job. No interview required.

3rd professional job: Was pretty much the same as my 2nd job, but I went from contractor to civilian. My boss helped create this position and offered me it first and gave me a huge bonus. No interview required.

4th professional job: Sort of what I was doign at my 2nd and 3rd jobs, but they made that specific part of it full-time and added other responsibilities. I did have to apply, however was pretty much given the position. No interview required.

So you can see the trend for me is that who know and simply being in the circle has pretty much landed me every job in my career. I feel that in the medical field often who you know can play a huge role on getting certain jobs. You have to know the right people or somehow get into that circle first, which usually means per diem/on-call jobs which if they like you and a full-time position opens up your chances of landing it is high. Also depends on supply/demand. Sometimes the supply is low, but the demand is high that you can get a job anywhere you want with premium pay.

I always heard the phrase "it isn't what you know, it's who you know"

Growing up, I found this to be absolutely true. Not saying knowledge is not important, but A LOT of jobs come from some sort of connections, whether it is nepotism or cronyism (in some industries, you can't even get your foot in the door without these), or some sort of networking leads to job opportunities.

People & schools really downplay the advantage of being a social person, being able to make connections, etc. School teaches you to "just work hard" and get good grades and you'll be good. Nothing can be further from the truth. This is probably why so many fresh graduates have their bubbles bursted when they go into the real world and realize jobs aren't knocking down their doors because they flashed their fancy diplomas. They're left with no jobs and mounting debt.

I just wanted to do an unofficial poll. How did you get your job?

• Good old fashion applying online (indeed.com, Monster, Careerbuilder).
• Got the job through a friend or family member?
• Met someone through a networking event like a job fair?
• Self-employed
• Other?
Very extensive online application. Lots of great references. Extensive background check with fingerprinting. 2 interviews. Then 3 months later got a phone call. Not easy but it was very worth it

I showed up at the nuclear powerplant on the first day and they put me in chief of safety.

I saw a posting online and spent a solid hour or two adapting my CV and cover letter in accordance to what they were looking for. I do this for every job I'm seriously applying for. For jobs I am not so keen on, I just send my generic CV and a cover letter template and insert blanks.

I've had friends offer me jobs, including one that would have paid me almost double what I make now (plus a crazy expense account, profit sharing and a leased car) but I'd be on the road selling industrial equipment and away from family. I now work for a medical research institute but I have more time to my family, more time to complete my master's and a pension.

Lol, what? She was mad she had to do her job?

I think she got tired of telling me they would call me if something came up. I didnt buy it. I was a stubborn 20 year old who wanted a job out of the service industry. I was in their system on the "waiting list" since I was 18. I got tired of waiting and calling, and started showing up until they got sick of seeing my face and gave me a shot at a job.

14830962.gif

My current job and my last 2 job offers (which I ended up not taking) were b/c of connections I made at my previous or current job. So it really is who you know. I had an immediate in and a leg up on the competition with the new jobs b/c people knew me and recommended me for the job. Or they would be jobs that weren't even open to the public yet and the person would let me know there was an opening.

Fell into it, Manifested it, Created it....not really sure, it kind of found me...

I was contacted by a recruiter that found my profile on LinkedIn

I still get contacted regularly by recruiters on LinkedIn. Moral of the story is, build and maintain the profile buds.

• Met someone through a networking event like a job fair?
I want to touch on this one for a second. If your career path is specialized, I would highly suggest finding a networking group in your field that meets regularly.

I constantly go to the local Society of Technical Communication meetings because it's a great way to get your foot in the door at a lot of different companies. I stay close with this community because if I ever start looking and mention this I already have multiple people's ears. People get jobs through going to this group's social events all the time.

I got into this company about 22 years back . Filled out an application form I got from an advert in the local paper. Did the assessment , passed that , went into interview the same day and walked out knowing I'd nailed it.

The 2 promotions I've applied for have been advertised inside the company only. Had the same job for 16 years or so and will hopefully stay in it for the rest of my career.

Met all the requirements to take the broker exam (certain number of years as a salesperson, education, etc.), passed the exam, opened brokerage, hired agents, voila!

Worked out at this gym for years ~ Always took it on myself to encourage and help people out.
Finally the owner snapped and had me go and become a personal trainer :p Ended up working
at the same gym. :D

Back