How did Good miss that oomaplata Vs Askren?

Amerikuracana

Life allows the illusion of relativity
Banned
Reaction score
After he rocked Askren with that upkick(on top of the 150 hammerfist Good landed from the bottom)Askre fell right into an oomaplata, Good should have won the fight right there by cranking it hard while Askren was still hurt, or just sitting up with it and throwing some punches. Just wondering if anybody else was yelling about that watching the fight.

Yeah, he omoplatad himself and Good just sat there like an idiot.

finally followed embed instructions so here it is for people that havent seen it...

Last edited:
I wondered why he didn't go for it as well. But, I kind of doubt he'd have finished it even if he did apply it. I think Askren would have been able to escape it anyway, but who knows.

he seemed either brain dead or beyond words gassed.
1) no omoplata, when Askren litterally positioned h imself as if he was an uke for a demo
2) didnt clear the arm with the triangle
3) didnt try to hook a leg to help with the angle/posture
4) if he was going for an armbar,he again didnt adjust his angle

he stayed straight on the entire time... that was ridiculous.

I don't know how a real seasoned grappler would feel (I have about three years of grappling experience), but I find it really difficult to capitalize when people - either newbies who don't know better, or advanced guys trying to bait me - give me obvious freebies. After all, it's totally unexpected, and runs contrary to how we train, as we're usually working on setups against a skilled opponent trying to avoid our attacks. In these cases it often takes me a second to realize what's actually being given to me. I guess I keep thinking "there's no such thing as a free lunch".

They don't teach Jiu Jitsu at Tiger Schulmann's. Just how to sweep the leg and break boards with your head.

/onlyhalfkidding

They don't teach Jiu Jitsu at Tiger Schulmann's. Just how to sweep the leg and break boards with your head.

/onlyhalfkidding

Tiger Schulmanns had quite a following. Half of the people there were shouting "T-S-K" until he starting getting manhandled.

Took me a while to figure out what the hell they were saying.

Tiger Schulmanns had quite a following. Half of the people there were shouting "T-S-K" until he starting getting manhandled.

Took me a while to figure out what the hell they were saying.

yeah, maybe lyman should train with real grapplers instead of these TSK clowns.

but, enough about that.

how about askren just repeatedly opening good's guard by sitting up and putting his hand between good's ankles to open his guard (plus the other hand holding down his hip)?

or
how easy did askren mount good? he must have mounted him about 10 times.

also, how much money did the ref have on good to stand them up when askren had mount.

too bad askren has the same gnp as shields.

I'm guessing complete exhaustion. I haven't seen the fight but from the sounds of it Askren put on a clinic and overwhelmed him for the entirety of the fight

The omolata is a such a low percentage move in mma, I've never seen someone finished with an Omoplata in the UFC

screw the omoplata he had the triangle locked in TIGHT. that was literally a done deal, all he had to do was adjust the angle the tiniest bit and askren would've gone to sleep.

so disappointing.

yeah, maybe lyman should train with real grapplers instead of these TSK clowns.

I agree that Lyman's BJJ looked Ehhh. He didnt do much to stop the mount, he didnt use head control to stop takedowns and passing etc. I also dont think he took advantage of his striking either.....a flying knee would have probably caught Askren. I mean since he couldnt stop his takedowns anyway why not at least go for broke? I picked Good in this fight...Im getting ripped apart in the HW forum for picking it wrong.

Anyway, Lyman never trained anywhere else but TSK so they made him who he is today. They also have plentyyyyyy of great fighters there! Nick Pace just fought in the WEC but lost, Uriah Hall will be in the UFC soon, Munah Holland is fighting Kim Couture.......

And they have plenty of other guys who are nasty but dont fight MMA bc they all run thier own schools as well.

Are they commercial? Yea! Is the owner a greedy a**hole? Yea! Do they preactically give belts away? Yup! But regardless they have quite a few nasty fighters and a headquarters that is prob nicer than the TUF training center.

so you really have no idea what you're talking about =)

Last edited:
I don't know how a real seasoned grappler would feel (I have about three years of grappling experience), but I find it really difficult to capitalize when people - either newbies who don't know better, or advanced guys trying to bait me - give me obvious freebies. After all, it's totally unexpected, and runs contrary to how we train, as we're usually working on setups against a skilled opponent trying to avoid our attacks. In these cases it often takes me a second to realize what's actually being given to me. I guess I keep thinking "there's no such thing as a free lunch".

This or he had a brain fart from lack of oxygen to his brain. "Fatigue makes cowards of men". Always liked that quote.

I'm more confused on why he tried for the armbar when he had that triangle 100% locked in.

It was over and he randomly transitioned to another submission instead.

thx for the "good" responses....I just think Good was mentally defeated from being dominated in the wrestling game(I actually know the feeling)and also had ring rust. He should have KOed BA twice in that fight, and I have never in my life seen somebody put themselves that deep in a plata..

Last edited:
Jake Shields 2.0. Great grappler, but really needs to learn some GNP. He has so much potential to become a GNP destroyer.

screw the omoplata he had the triangle locked in TIGHT. that was literally a done deal, all he had to do was adjust the angle the tiniest bit and askren would've gone to sleep.

so disappointing.

i agree with this assessment. the omoplata was barely there for a second, an iffy finish with such a strong wrestler. the triangle was locked in and a great finisher against strong wrestlers.

i agree with this assessment. the omoplata was barely there for a second, an iffy finish with such a strong wrestler. the triangle was locked in and a great finisher against strong wrestlers.

I agree, with the placement of the arm the triangle was a more natural transition- and also submission with a better chance for success. Askren is one tough dude for surviving that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Santos FC 1912
Back