• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How could asceticism have evolved?

You tell me. What is asceticism? How did it evolve? For humans, is the process not the same for Nazism and other ideologies? Does it not require some form of 'severe self-discipline', commitment to a higher cause, and higher thinking? Compare an ascetic Indian (India), a Catholic nun, and an SS Gestapo officer. How exactly does one's mind get to that point?

Are you re-asking me the same question as the thread title in the form of an analogy?

That seems like a strange procedural strategy. Nazism and asceticism have some overlap but many differences, if you've got useful suggestions as to how it came about I'm open to hearing them.

Biological evolution created hardware that was so flexible and powerful, that the cultural evolution could really get going.

Yes, I think this is probably the crux of it. But I'm definitely interested in filling out that space between them.

Could everyone just posit bullshit theories so Hillsy can assassinate them?

Best question...

Is there any potential answer we are incapable of understanding or accepting given that the question is known?

Best question...

Is there any potential answer we are incapable of understanding or accepting given that the question is known?
"Incapable of understanding" think probably no.

"Permanently lacking sufficient details to explain" possibly yes.

"Incapable of understanding" think probably no.

"Permanently lacking sufficient details to explain" possibly yes.
infinity, or more directly no beginning and no end, is difficult on the scale of big conceptual/philosophical ideas. I am capable of accepting no beginning and no end, but I can't possibly fathom being ok with the answer as far as understanding, even given it was the definite truth. I guess this would fall under your caveat.

Further to the idea of permanently lacking sufficient details to explain, that to me implies an outside set of details not constrained to the physical universe we inhabit.

infinity, or more directly no beginning and no end, is difficult on the scale of big conceptual/philosophical ideas. I am capable of accepting no beginning and no end, but I can't possibly fathom being ok with the answer as far as understanding, even given it was the definite truth. I guess this would fall under your caveat.

Further to the idea of permanently lacking sufficient details to explain, that to me implies an outside set of details not constrained to the physical universe we inhabit.

Oh, this wasn't actually an origins of the universe thread, despite what some pretty weird posts would have you believe.

But no, no outside set of details required. Just gaps in the internal ones.

Oh, this wasn't actually an origins of the universe thread, despite what some pretty weird posts would have you believe.

But no, no outside set of details required. Just gaps in the internal ones.
Everything is an origins thread.

Back