How come there hasn’t been any NEW marshal arts?????

You’d think in this day in age with all the technology and knowledge we have about everything that we’d also come up with a better marshal art rather than learning an ancient form of fighting such as BJJ or karate that was also taught 1000s of years ago when people also didn’t know any better.

Hey genius, stop messing with the Marshall arts and go back to grammar class.

There was. Ronda Jitsu - it heavily emphasized blocking strikes with your head. For some son it didn't catch on.

marshal, will and holly

on a routine expedition..

Well the kings are here:

MMA
Wrestling
Submission wrestling
Boxing and thai/kick boxing

Choose any of them. And you are free. No katas or ritual from 1000 years ago. Internet and youtube also make it easy to find the truth.

Now what about Marital Arts?

Any progress there?

90% of them became obsolete when we actually started testing them against each other.

This is very true, though I wonder if we aren't throwing away some arts that would work with modern training practices.

The Big Four as I like to think of them (boxing, wrestling, muay-thai, BJJ) while very different arts share some critical training similarities. They push fitness, conditioning and sparring and the result is that many/most of their practitioners have functional fighting skills. They all know how to fight when fatigued, they all have improved cardio, they know what it's like to get hit/slammed/choked/etc.

Aikido and Wing Chun are the two poster boys for being useless crap martial arts, but both of them suffer from very severe training problems. Neither art pushes high-level fitness training nor do they push high-intensity sparring. Would either of these arts prove useful if they were refined over a period of time while pushing fitness and sparring with their practitioners? Is it fair to chalk it all up to bad mechanics and ineffective moves?

You never heard of Clip-Fu?

I'm fond of thinking we've progressed 95 percent of the way we can progress in martial arts, and that we are just making small improvements nowadays to get to the 100 percent mark.

But if I was an adult in 1980 unawares of the BJJ scene I would have probably said the same thing, and look what happened...

Sherdog sure does seem retarded today.

You never heard of Clip-Fu?
giphy.gif

You’d think in this day in age with all the technology and knowledge we have about everything that we’d also come up with a better marshal art rather than learning an ancient form of fighting such as BJJ or karate that was also taught 1000s of years ago when people also didn’t know any better.
MMA, as a whole, isn't evolved enough for you?

Guns play a large role in that. I'd imagine there was a severe drop off in the development and refinement of melee weaponry as well coinciding with the modernization of firearms. I think the story behind some of the regional styles of martial arts has involved the restriction of weapons leading to the necessity of developing unarmed self defense tactics.

Thugjitsu
Guerilla jiu-jitsu
American jiu-jitsu
etc

At this point with all the different arts a new one would be a variation, a combination of sorts rather than based on new techniques like already existing disciplines.

Like I could create a new martial art called "Stomp", in which techniques come from heel strikes such as foot stomps, knee and thigh stomps and head stomps on a grounded opponent, etc, but it would hardly be innovative. It'd be like some of those wacky techniques in the 90's. Tutorial vids would sell, as usual.

2 pages in and no one has mentioned S.A.F.T.A. (Scientifically Aggressive Fighting Technology of America)?

The wonder of Jon Hess opened our eyes to this phenomenon in 1995 (1996 the phenomenon was ended by The Phenom) and I feel is responsible for the incredible advances in the New Breed HW of a decade later.

2416.jpg

MMA is a new martial art

So you are different kind of stupid.

Back