How can the MMA glove be improved on?

Bashir Ahmad

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
So I was wondering, is the MMA glove as it is, the final evolution in the MMA glove?

Is there anything else that can be done to improve upon it. Anyone have any pet peeves about MMA gloves that could be changed? I was just thinking cuz the boxing glove has actually changed quite a bit from 100 years back, when they were called mufflers and were pretty much bag gloves.

ALso what are the requirements for MMA gloves in professional MMA?

Love to hear from you guys, especially fighters?

I have some ideas on how the wrist strap could be improved for better support. As foam technology evolves, I'd expect that to get picked up/used as well.

FreddyGloveMetalDeluxe.jpg

Anthony Johnson may disagree though.

I'd like to see the stitching/seams capped by something. They seem to cause a lot of cuts that, while not serious in and of themselves, can cause blood to get in the eyes.

Other than that I don't see a whole lot you can do.

Primetime is my favorite glove thus far. Superb quality leather and stitching with suprisingly supportive wrist straps. If you were to design a glove, I'd recommend their blueprint.

Plus, they're made in Pakistan.

Regarding the wrist support, does that really need to be improved upon? Has anyone ever injured their wrist in an MMA fight?

I know I have injured my wrist before punching incorrectly, but I have never heard of a UFC fighter complaining of a wrist injury post fight. But I may be wrong.

DOes anyone know anything about what makes a good foam?

Regarding the wrist support, does that really need to be improved upon? Has anyone ever injured their wrist in an MMA fight?

I know I have injured my wrist before punching incorrectly, but I have never heard of a UFC fighter complaining of a wrist injury post fight. But I may be wrong.

Does anyone know anything about what makes a good foam?

The only time I've ever hurt my wrist was while wearing bag gloves and throwing body hooks to the bag. I didn't hit the knuckle, but rather the fist, and it dragged my wrist over. It was very owie.

Otherwise, I really don't notice gloves without it, but I did notice my Primetime's had super supports.

Last edited by a moderator:
Somehow protect my eyes from being thumbed.
Ive been blind in my left eye for like a week..

DOes anyone know anything about what makes a good foam?

Primetime has great wrist support because it has a double long wrist wrap. Helps keep the hand straight and keep you from spraining the wrist during scrambles/grappling.

As far as foam, the best material is PVC (polyvinyl chloride) nitrile butadiene rubber. It has better rebound than crosslinked polyethylene and reconstituted chip foam (two common materials used in gloves) Injection molded polyurethane and esther foam are too soft for fight gloves, but are usable when layered thick for sparring gloves.

As far as foam, the best material is PVC (polyvinyl chloride) nitrile butadiene rubber. It has better rebound than crosslinked polyethylene and reconstituted chip foam (two common materials used in gloves) Injection molded polyurethane and esther foam are too soft for fight gloves, but are usable when layered thick for sparring gloves.

What the f-

Not that material, just impressed by his extensive knowledge.

SCIENCE!!

"According to this science I have here..."

PVC is extruded sponge rubber. To give an example, medium density nitrile rubber is commonly used in high school wrestling mats. It is slightly heavier and more expensive than Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (a kind of crosslinked polyethylene also used in mats and pads etc.), but also has a better compression rating. Perfect for mma gloves.
PVC is far too heavy for boxing gloves. Injection molded polyurethane is the material to go with there. "Bayfill" is overrated.
All these materials have a place in sporting goods padding applications.
Three things to watch for in mma glove purchasing:
1. Fit
2. Leather
3. Stitching
4. Padding

There are many different varieties of mma gloves, makes models designs materials. So as far as improvements, there are only so many ways to wrap padding around your hands.
Read your reviews. Sherdog has saved me from alot of bad purchases.

Back