How can I kick higher/get a more flexible leg?

Bodybuilder MMA

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Left leg(I'm a south paw and always kicked footballs/soccer balls with my left) is fine. I can get it pretty high and whip it at the knee and hit hard.

But my right, I can barely hit with my shin to their shin area...it's horrible. I could hit high up if it was the side of my leg, but I want to hit with my shin, obviously.

any advice on getting my right leg up a lot higher? stretches? exercises? technique?

as a fellow southpaw myself I think the off leg might be a technique thing. To build power in that off leg I would recommend heavy bag work. To get some accuracy down do some suitcase drills. If you do all those things you should start to notice some big changes, atleast I have from personal experience.

if your a baller
titleboxing_1991_112458355

http://store.titleboxing.com/proforstret.html

as a fellow southpaw myself I think the off leg might be a technique thing. To build power in that off leg I would recommend heavy bag work. To get some accuracy down do some suitcase drills. If you do all those things you should start to notice some big changes, atleast I have from personal experience.

I kicked the heavy bag today, I could drill it every time with my left, but my right was absolutely horrible(as mentioned earlier)

Should I hit it with the side of my leg and slowly get more of my shin to hit it?

Or, hit it very low with my actual shin and work my way up?

High Kicks are ego driven and rarely have enough power to do anything.

McDojo owners are still pumping the bullshit and MMA guys (the ones who are retarded) are still buying that a "High Kick" means you're a badass.

Evil Eye Gouger has several good stretching threads. Search for them.

McDojo owners are still pumping the bullshit and MMA guys (the ones who are retarded) are still buying that a "High Kick" means you're a badass.

silva_vs_crocop_ii_hk.jpg

????
shin to head = knocked the fuck out.

they are not my weapon of choice but you cannot argue with the fact that a clean kick to the head will put any man on his ass

?

youtube Mirko Cro Crop.

I kicked the heavy bag today, I could drill it every time with my left, but my right was absolutely horrible(as mentioned earlier)

Should I hit it with the side of my leg and slowly get more of my shin to hit it?

Or, hit it very low with my actual shin and work my way up?

No, don't do it incorrectly, stretch and work it low, muscle memory is important and you don't want to develop bad habits

you rarely have enough power to do anything, and your mad you can't get your leg up there, maybe YOU can't get much power on them, but experience muay thai practitioners can, I read what you wrote but it came out as "my standup sucks and it hurts my ego"

Practice the techniques of each kick twice as much as with your good leg and I feel you will be fine.

Also get 'Stretching scientifically' by Thomas Kurtz and follow his advice.

Please don't comment on stuff you know nothing about. We actually try to give some decent advice in the standup forum instead of just spew bullshit. If you would like to try to act like an expert move on over to the heavyweight section and blab away. Just because you can throw one doesn't make you a badass, but if you can throw one without worrying about it they can be amazingly effective if you can get someone to drop their hands or they do it for you. They can also be used to keep the other persons hands up so you can go about your business kicking something else.

To respond to Bodybuilder MMA, no you don't ever want to knowingly use bad form because like others have said getting rid of a bad habbit can be really annoying. If I were to guess you are probably using bad technique if you can't get your leg up to atleast hip height on a kick. Try to post a video or have someone snap a photo so we can see what you are doing. Obviously you want to be stretching constantly and as far as technique goes just keep giving it more practice on the heavybag for power and pad work for technique and placement. It is really just a matter of becoming comfortable throwing your off leg because it always feel a little different.

Awesome!

I'll work on stretching, possibly a bit more stretching for the bad leg, working on technique, more kicks for the bad leg.

I am to hit low and with the shin, correct?

Back