How big an influence does Greg jackson have on jones's success

gsmd

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I mean we can all agree that he was something special even early on in his career and would have eventually been lhw champ even without Jackson's coaching. Is jackson's influence over rated? I mean for every Jon jones he produces there is a Diego sanchez or leonard garcia

At one time he had like 4 champs in his camp, so he's obviously a good coach.

I think Jones is one of those guys with natural talent, so he would pwn regardless of where he trained, though.

Jackson made Jones a smarter fighter (improved his fighting IQ, if you like) IMO.

I repectfully disagree he was beating guys like bonnar training out of his backyard. I think it was only a matter of time he became champ

and for a 19 year old to beat down bonnar, who was no slouch, was pretty remarkable.

he came into the ufc with a ton of ability. and he had that killer instinct, which can't really be taught.

He still would of had the physical advantages that have made him so dominant.

I think He would be a champ even without Jackson. Everybody says He`s talented etc. but It`s not about It at all. His mindset is what got him where He is, his unshaken belief in himself. He sets the bar for himself really high, He doesnt want to "just win", He want to beat them at their own game, which They perfected over the years.

In one of the UFC embedded videos He says that in his first year of wrestling He had a record of 10-30 or something like that, but He overcame any obstacles and managed to get good at It. If You look at his brothers It makes You think that his strength comes from his upbringing. Its probably his parents who planted that much self confidence and self belief in him and his brothers.

I`m looking foward to see him outcain Cain ;)

He still would have become Champ... I don't know if he would have remained so without Jackson, though. Jackson, and or Winklejon, has really helped him learn how to use his reach. Before the move there he wasn't really a striker, more of a 'grab you, toss you, and elbow you' kind of guy.

I'd say 50/50. Take away Jackson and Jones loses half of his fights.
Jones often evolves in his fights, in a right way, and that's not his own work it's his corner.

I think He would be a champ even without Jackson. Everybody says He`s talented etc. but It`s not about It at all. His mindset is what got him where He is, his unshaken belief in himself. He sets the bar for himself really high, He doesnt want to "just win", He want to beat them at their own game, which They perfected over the years.

In one of the UFC embedded videos He says that in his first year of wrestling He had a record of 10-30 or something like that, but He overcame any obstacles and managed to get good at It. If You look at his brothers It makes You think that his strength comes from his upbringing. Its probably his parents who planted that much self confidence and self belief in him and his brothers.

I think that jacksons is a good place for him plus the fact that Bones is just a natural he,s got a martial arts brain it,s a delight to train a fighter with so much creativity because i bet ya that he knows most of his weapons from him self with out people learning him that ... Bones uses a lot of weapons most Striking coaches call Weak and not powerful side-kicks front-kicks oblique kicks Kung fu like kicks wing chun like clinch work with the short elbows from down up side ways bones uses it all and he knows how to use it in a way that it works ..

So for a coach it,s only a Mather of having him in the right mind state and keeping his weapons fresh

It's the Christian upbringing, Weidman has the same mentality.

I think that jacksons is a good place for him plus the fact that Bones is just a natural he,s got a martial arts brain it,s a delight to train a fighter with so much creativity because i bet ya that he knows most of his weapons from him self with out people learning him that ...

Jackson worked out for him very well, but thats another thing that makes him so good, He knows what He`s doing, what is best for him and He gets It. He got the coaches He wanted, He got the sponsors He wanted.

If It wasnt Jackson`s It would be the next best thing, where He would get all the help He needs to become/stay champ.

I really think that Jackson is the reason for all those fast adjustments to techinque Jones does between rounds. So, I'd say a BIG influence.

It's the Christian upbringing, Weidman has the same mentality.

You can call It Christian, but I would say It`s more about the love They received from their parents, who just happen to be Christian.

Huge. Jones had a lot of natural ability already. But Jackson/Wink made him a more complete fighter.

I believe Jones could've been champ on his own, but I don't think he could've defended as much as he has.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Wang
Back