How badly did the UFC want Chandler to be the champ?

I don't think either guy "moves the needle" enough to be preferred by the UFC management.

Chandler is good, just not great.

He is explosive, which saves him a lot of the time, but he is reckless

Not sure having a fighter from another org be the UFC champ is what they wanted, but whatevs...

Have never been a problem and all fighters in the UIFC are UFC fighters and market at that,
Anderson had 1 fight in the UFC before wining the belt.
Same did Rampage.
Other was supposed to get a title shot fast like Shogun who later did win the belt.
CC was supposed to fight for the belt in his second fight IIRC but wanted another fight and well got Gonzagad,
Dan Henderson got two title shots when entering the UFC, to unify the belts.

UFC imo dont sign fighters and pay them good money to have them lose.
Only possible exception was Funky Ben who always been talking smack about Dana.
I am sure Dana enjoyed his loss after his first win and the whole "Dana is this the best you got?"

They wanted him to win badly. Get an American champion to market. Either way Olivera works too since it's the Brazilian market and he even ended the fight similar to the way Aldo did by jumping out the cage. They still have other options for a marketable American champion so they will work on those match-ups and promotions and hope they are able to pull it off.

Great fight! Either way we got a winner and a great contender. Charley Olives has had a lot of press over the years, this was their chance to highlight Chandler on advertising .

Ehh... Did you watch their fights? Eddie lost one and pretty much tied the 2nd.
Eddie and Chandler are the same guy with different accents.
Yeah, they were great fights.

c992d-16165849854319-800.jpg

If you look at the embedded's and a lot of the promo material I feel like Dana and co really wanted Chandler to be the new golden boy at LW. Dude sells himself and gets wild finishes. Happy Charles won even if I like Mike.
Very much

UFC is a corporation and they're going to go above and beyond to maximize and secure their income.

He accepted the 50k fight, that's the reasoning.

Back