How and Why do some thai fighters jump and thai kick on occasion?

• Thread starter Dominic Kihlstrand
  • Start date
D

Dominic Kihlstrand

I see alot of Thai fighters throw a roundhouse and jump in the air at the same time. (Like Kaoklai vs. Choi, head kick) Is it so generate more power by throwing your entire weight into the kick? Is it just to get more height? I tried to mimic it on the bag and it worked, as there was some more power to the kick, the only problem is my technique is wrong. Could someone explain how it is done, and more reasons why it is done? Heres the clip, its at the end.

http://files.filefront.com/Kaoklai_vs_Choi_clip_/;4017375;;/fileinfo.html

Im vale tudo guy, so its from me.

Don't think I can explain how to do it in a post. But you are correct, it is for more power and height. and to mix things up a bit. It is a very advanced move, so not sure I would bother if I wasn't very skilled in MT. Probably risky in MMA due to the takedown factor.

As for the takedown factor, You could use it if you were a grappler.

Egg Nog said:
As for the takedown factor, You could use it if you were a grappler.

WHF? Throw a jumping round kick, Coleman!
Jumping round kick, Royce!, Yoshida!

I mean I was a grappler before I was a striker, so I could take more risks since I dont worry about being taken down.

OK I see your point but this guy was obviously jumping just to reach the guys head. I personally don't think that jumping puts more power in aany kick because you remove your base from the ground. When you land a jumping kick it's easier for the impact to work against your hip rotation.

Style points is probably a big factor, something that doesn't impress me most of the time. I think if you can't kick the head then don't but in stand up cometition you just get back up so I can see that.

zaner said:
OK I see your point but this guy was obviously jumping just to reach the guys head. I personally don't think that jumping puts more power in aany kick because you remove your base from the ground. When you land a jumping kick it's easier for the impact to work against your hip rotation.

I have the same thinking on jumping kicks. When both feet are in the air, when you make impact your are pushed back because you have no grounding to anchor yourself with

mikelw said:
I'm pretty sure that kick wouldn'tve done shit if it had landed.
Yeah. If I were fighting Rampage, I'd do a technique I'm pretty sure wouldn't do shit too.

Evil Eye Gouger said:
Yeah. If I were fighting Rampage, I'd do a technique I'm pretty sure wouldn't do shit too.
But if you were fighting Rampage you wouldn't be owning the shit out of him.

Back