Houston BJJ school

Cassidamius

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Hi all,
This is my first post here. I'm a BJJ white belt with about 4 months of training. Next week, I'll be flying to Houston for the marathon on January 13th with a couple buddies. During my time in Houston, I'd like to check out a BJJ class. Any recommendations?

I'd like to attend an open mat or just participate in a class, but I'm not sure how this works. I have already emailed Draculino's Gracie-Barra school, but I'm still awaiting a reply.

Would anyone have any suggestions on the best way to go about this? I want to take advantage of my time there-- get in some good training, learn something new, maybe make some new friends, and hopefully kindle a new passion for BJJ in my buddies, whom I am meeting up with.

Thanks!

Houston is absolutely massive. I'm assuming you'll have a car. What area will you be staying in? Downtown? Galleria? South? Southwest? Draculino's (last time I checked) is in Webster (on the way to NASA) so if you are south of the Galleria it's a helluva drive in traffic.

Houston is absolutely massive. I'm assuming you'll have a car. What area will you be staying in? Downtown? Galleria? South? Southwest? Draculino's (last time I checked) is in Webster (on the way to NASA) so if you are south of the Galleria it's a helluva drive in traffic.

this

Also, it seems like you are trying to contact the gym first...which is always polite.

If you cannot get in touch with one of the schools and want to drop in, just remember to be early, polite, and be prepared to pay a drop in fee if requested.

GL

There are a lot of great schools. Gracie Barra has several locations including one near downtown. Elite MMA is also great (I train at the satellite school) with lots of talented training partners. They are very friendly to visitors too. There are classes every day. Traffic is an issue, so tack on an extra 30-45 minutes depending on the time of day you plan to commute.

Thanks for all the replies. It does look like Draculino's school is about 45 minutes away in Webster. I assume Google Maps didn't factor in traffic. Since I received a warm reply from David at the school, I'm still going to go my best to get over there. In the meantime, I will see what is closer to my friend's house in the 4th Ward/Midtown area of Houston.

any body in the cypress/ spring area that would recommend a MMA/BJJ place that also has free weights?

I'm not sure, but I think GroundDwellers has bjj and free weights? I haven't been there in about a year and a half.

thanks bro. do you recall if they had any heavyweights training there ?

Not very many, only one or two. One of which was really skilled.

I forget exactly where it was, but SMA (Solis Martial Arts) had a few heavyweights, including one who was a blackbelt who didn't take too kindly to me ankle locking one of their blue belts haha. It's about a 10-20 minute drive from downtown Houston though.

Back