horizontal fist when outside elbow range hurts

ballie

White Belt
Reaction score
about a year ago I gave someone a hook to the head while sparring and he was outside my elbow range, I was so stupid to do it with a horizontal fist(and our protection was not quite good) and I hurt my pinky

now it still hurts when I hit hard not that I can't hit no more but I ask myself if anyone had a sortlike problem and knows how to deal with

You probably got boxer's fracture, and didn't let it heal. The bones in your hand will be perminantly weakened.

xrays can't detect hairline fractures and many things, just try not to use it for anything for awhile and ice it alot. which is hard but good for you.

Doctor's tend to suck and make things seem worst than they really are. I'll make you a bet that he/she'll just say don't train, unless you got one of those special sports doctor's or something.

feedback said:
You probably got boxer's fracture, and didn't let it heal. The bones in your hand will be perminantly weakened.
nothing that might help?

Yeah that sucks, that's why I always hook with vertical punch. you know what, just take some time off... until it feels good. Maybe few months... you can concentrate on kicking or grappling... I know you will miss your boxing, but hey, don't need to exchange few months of fun with your life time injury.

Crimson Tiger said:
Yeah that sucks, that's why I always hook with vertical punch. you know what, just take some time off... until it feels good. Maybe few months... you can concentrate on kicking or grappling... I know you will miss your boxing, but hey, don't need to exchange few months of fun with your life time injury.
your right man, grappling and kicking will allways need alot of work too so I'll concentrate more on that, but neverteless it will hurt :mad:

you know whats weird, Ive been throwing hooks with a vertical fist for the longest time, but when I got in my boxing and muay thai class, my coach gets on me for doing so.... matter of fact, most every punch I threw was pretty vertical.....he has me turning over my straights more often now, but I still want to keep my hooks vertical....just one of the many things I get shit about....I dont quite understand his reasoning either...but...the guy is a pro, with an awesome record....so....I just concede to the belief that he knows best.

TwIsTeD&BrOkEn said:
you know whats weird, Ive been throwing hooks with a vertical fist for the longest time, but when I got in my boxing and muay thai class, my coach gets on me for doing so.... matter of fact, most every punch I threw was pretty vertical.....he has me turning over my straights more often now, but I still want to keep my hooks vertical....just one of the many things I get shit about....I dont quite understand his reasoning either...but...the guy is a pro, with an awesome record....so....I just concede to the belief that he knows best.

Yeah when I first learned boxing in Korea, my coach was an ex-Korean champ, and he always fixed me when I threw vertical hook. But after screwing my writst and pinky few times with horizontal fist, I decided to stick with vertical hook. Mainly b/c I usually go wild with hooks when my opponent break through my straight range, but anyhow.... . Although I think in short hook wise vertical fist gives you more power.... I'd rather sacrifies some power than fuck up my wrist and pinky over and over.

Back