hooks

randy watkins

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Just a quick question about how you guys throw your hooks. I mean we all know to turn and pivet with the use of are hips and let your opponets body or head stop the the punch. But i seen this guy throwing a left hook and with his right hand covering the left hand side of his face. It seems to make sense but i tryed it and it was very mechanical

I also throw elbows like that, It take some practice but it I feel better throwing them when your in close punching range, or even grappling range. Just my 2 cent.

i throw elbows like that, and kicks, but when im throwing a hook i rarely do that. i only cover my face with the opposite hand if im gonig for a body shot and need to lower my position

If you cover the left side of your face with your right hand, what is protecting the right side of your face from your opponent's left hand???

I guess the theory is that when throwing a hook it's more important to defend against the straight counter than the hook counter, hence the hand in front.

But I throw my hooks with my elbow parallel to the ground, so it blocks any straight counter, and my right hand flush on my cheek, protecting against the hook counter + ready to fire again. I think this is the best way. Downside is you gotta get that elbow and shoulder way up there.

When I get real tired, well then I just flail.

Personally I don't do that for hooks or elbows I just keep the shoulder up and chin tucked but its not a bad idea because your forearm still covers the right side of your jaw and your hand covers the left.

Zankou said:
I guess the theory is that when throwing a hook it's more important to defend against the straight counter than the hook counter, hence the hand in front.

But I throw my hooks with my elbow parallel to the ground, so it blocks any straight counter, and my right hand flush on my cheek, protecting against the hook counter + ready to fire again. I think this is the best way. Downside is you gotta get that elbow and shoulder way up there.

When I get real tired, well then I just flail.

Yeah, this is how I was taught to throw my hooks when I first started, but where the other punches seem more uniform, there seems to be a different theory for the hook at every gym.

The guys who taught me to throw it like this were JKD guys training MMA whose sensei was a former Kenpo instructor who I guess after seeing the first couple UFC's decided that maybe Kenpo wasn't achieving its goals (this after 22 years). So while maintaining his dojo he went out and became a proficient boxer/kickboxer, then a black belt in Judo, and now he's trying to learn as much as he can (it's difficult where we live).

But he taught them and they taught me. They throw a tight hook with a "snapping" finish. Anyway, the jury's still out on this one. I'm not so proficient it would be a major hassle to change my technique at this point.

randy watkins said:
Just a quick question about how you guys throw your hooks. I mean we all know to turn and pivet with the use of are hips and let your opponets body or head stop the the punch. But i seen this guy throwing a left hook and with his right hand covering the left hand side of his face. It seems to make sense but i tryed it and it was very mechanical

maybe the guy was trying to leave the right side of his face open to set something up. i tried doing that because you mentioned and it feels rather weird for me.

Sounds kind of dumb to me to put your right hand across your face because then it's not protecting the side of your face and the best counter for a left hook is a left hook in my opinion. Also if your right hand is across your face it's not ready to throw a follow up punch, your left shoulder should be high and your elbow in the way to protect from a right straight counter anyways. Watch all the guys get ko'd by a left hook when they throw one because they move their right hand, just isn't wise to do it.

I was taught to not do anything special with the right hand when throwing a left hook - just keep the right hand by your chin, like always.

I can see putting your right paw on the left side of your face if you're going down to throw a jab to the stomach, maybe. But a hook? Having your right hand on the left side of your face sounds like a good way to NOT be able to follow the hook with a straight right or uppercut.

Eduardo R. said:
Also if your right hand is across your face it's not ready to throw a follow up punch, your left shoulder should be high and your elbow in the way to protect from a right straight counter anyways.

The follow is more important IMO especially since you shouldnt be standing right in front of your opponent when you hook (as if you were throwing a straight right down the pipe), you should be angled off to his side abit. Anyhow, good hookers like Frazier (or Zambidis for you guys who only know K1) never did that cross face block stuff, their hands were loaded up for their next bomb.

No don't do that. A decent boxer will block your hook and counter with a left hook which you will be wide open for. Good technique if you like getting knocked out.

Back