Hooks with the thumbs

CowboyPete

Green Belt
Reaction score
I was watching some old fight clips and one of them was the Fedor Emelianenko vs Gary Goodridge fight. During the pounding of Goodridge, I noticed that Fedor hits with the insides of his fist, the side with the thumb when he throws his hooks. Is this a (commonly) practiced technique or is it chalked up to Fedor's natural fighting style? Has anyone tried this out? I'd give it a shot myself but just had surgery done on my wrist.

ita more of Fedors punchhing style, looping bombs

russian boxing style perhaps ?

Hooks with thumbs inwards are better for looping shots. You can get powerful and fast shots to target, without breaking knuckles. They are better for ground and pound.

I prefer thumbs up and striking with the top two knuckles. Esp when standing, if your opponenent holds his hands high your fist can slip bend them and pull them forward with power as your hand recoils, thus setting him up for a a second pucnh to exposed head.

Number 1, search function, please, while I enjoy making bets with myself, where I see a thread and think, white belt? (and i usually win) please use the search function for "russian" & "Hooks"

number 2, they are called russian hooks, thrown because from what I hear, combat sambo was made to put guys down without gloves, russian hooks generate enough power and are at a good angle to hit a knockout point, and there is little to no chance of breaking your hand. That is why alot of people use them.

I once told my friend who doesnt know anything about fighting to hit the bag. And guess what, he started throwing russian hooks. When i asked where he got this technique from, he answered: "What technique? I just punch the bag." So for some people this style seems to be very natural.

legshot420 said:
it's called sloppy technique

Perhaps.
I believe that technique differs from form to form, am I correct?

However, I am not one to argue with Fedor's hooks, they seem to work better than anyone else's.

you can throw hooks with the thumbs pointing up or in. When you are using mma gloves i would perfer to throw with my thumb up to help prevent breaking my hand.

Chad Hamilton said:
Perhaps.
I believe that technique differs from form to form, am I correct?

However, I am not one to argue with Fedor's hooks, they seem to work better than anyone else's.

good point you have there.

Russian Hooks because recent evidence has proven it i.e. Igor, Fedor, Aleks. Chronologically.

graedy said:
I once told my friend who doesnt know anything about fighting to hit the bag. And guess what, he started throwing russian hooks. When i asked where he got this technique from, he answered: "What technique? I just punch the bag." So for some people this style seems to be very natural.
It sounds like the Russian hook may have just evolved from a "natural" punching technique. If it works, adopt it, if it doesn't, abort.

Back