hooking off the jab?

eternaldarkness

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
can anybody suggest some modern fighters that hook off the jab effectively? i know louis was great at it if they reacted to the feint with the right, but my friend isn't really into watching the old stuff, so i was wondering if anybody could make some suggestions of more modern fighters? also he's about 5'11 and pretty solid, so suggestions of stocker fighters would help.

can anybody suggest some modern fighters that hook off the jab effectively? i know louis was great at it if they reacted to the feint with the right, but my friend isn't really into watching the old stuff, so i was wondering if anybody could make some suggestions of more modern fighters? also he's about 5'11 and pretty solid, so suggestions of stocker fighters would help.
First name that springs to mind is McCallum he was landing that at will on Toney in their second fight.

Alexis Arguello was long and quick and did this

Also his hand defense was wild...he'd catch and deflect and parry so quick and smooth that it's not something one would immediately notice....grainy shit cameras didn't help either but still

I feel like in many cases if you're quick enough to hook off a jab, you can lead with a hook disguised as a jab...at that quick twitch type speed you can throw those curveballs

Put away Escalara in the rematch

Although he certainly can't be considered "modern"

I glossed over the modern part....my bad

But yeah man, i really like his style

First name that springs to mind is McCallum he was landing that at will on Toney in their second fight.
i haven't seen the second fight, but i re-watched the first fight the other day and hagler was suggesting mccallum hook off the jab. mccallum is one classy boxer. he i kinda likes the aggressive types so i was looking for someone a bit more offensive and a bit less stylish.

I glossed over the modern part....my bad

But yeah man, i really like his style
arguello is one of my all time favourites. trouble is the dude is a former body builder, and has a bit of trouble appreciating the tall lanky fighters. i was actually thinking he should watch pryor for his hyper aggressive style, not sure if pryor hooked of the jab much though?

Naz i guess although it was wild shit

Hopkins sometimes would it

Tyson of course but to the body

Nobody said mayweather jr ???

Adrien Boner too. At least when he was 'About Billions'. Once he became about those 'thousands'.....not so much.

Wlad, the hook off the jab - right hand.......actually a lot of Kronk fighters. Donald Curry comes to mind especially. Milton McCrory too.

Canelo has one too though its more of a hookercut. A big load up too and he almost always throws it in the first 2 rounds. Thats the one that swelled GGG's eye in the 2nd fight (Redboy lost).

Ike Quartey though technically i would call it a hook disguised by the jab, in his case.

Last edited:
arguello is one of my all time favourites. trouble is the dude is a former body builder, and has a bit of trouble appreciating the tall lanky fighters. i was actually thinking he should watch pryor for his hyper aggressive style, not sure if pryor hooked of the jab much though?
Pryor is a bit stockier but honestly wasn't a musclehound like todays fighters cough cough ped's.

Pryor is a bit stockier but honestly wasn't a musclehound like todays fighters cough cough ped's.

umm....hes well regarded as taking peds in his biggest fight ever. So, literally a trail blazer.

I seem to recall Wlad doing it some but I'll be damned if I can find an example.

smokin joe

FavoriteFaroffBongo-max-1mb.gif

When you say hook of the jab you mean a jab straight into a hook or faint the jab and hook.

I do the later a lot in sparring

sugar ray robinson had the best hook in history, it was hard, fast, accurate and versatile, he was known to throw 3 or 4 like a combination, not everyone does that you know and the kayo of fullmer deservedly has been called the greatest kayo ever. as far as the 90's and beyond, roy jones and delahoya get my votes, they are about tied, both had the kind of kayoes with the left hook that belong up there with the greatest ever. Lots of good ones though really, sugar ray leonard had underrated power in both hands but he damn near killed davey boy greene with a left hook. Of course, alexis and julio cesar chavez with those "gaucho's" . the left hook to the body was what eddie futch called boxings most important punch because "it makes the strong boys weak and the fast boys slow". Hooking off the jab is great but roy jones often just feignted a jab and lept in with a hook, and, he also just threw it without any feints at all, the griffitn rematch he just threw left hooks, seemingly with abandon until he damn near decaptitated his man. Delahoya did a robinson/fullmer imitation with the final knockdown of vargas but he had a lot of impressive hooks in his highlight reel, especially as a sub 140 pounder.

When you say hook of the jab you mean a jab straight into a hook or faint the jab and hook.

I do the later a lot in sparring
it's a good feint, my pet feint was one i learned watching greg page kayo quick tillis, he feinted a right and slammed a hook/right into tillis. i was confused for a while about what a 'hook off the jab' was, i guess it's just throwing a jab and a hook, and the reason it's spoken of so reverently is because not everyone can do it well. al bernstein used to say that duran would turn his jab into a hook, i never was sure what he meant by that, whether it was a jab and a hook or a jab that he started normally and ended like a hook.

Back