hook speed, stance

supmaynnn

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
my left and right hooks are slower compared to my crosses, is this normal?

i find the left hook easier to throw, i use a normal left foot front stance and i just pivot on my left foot, but it still feels slow

when i do a right hook though, is it ok for my right foot to end up more up front? (since my right foot is my rear leg in my stance) i think i have a habit of doing this because i learned it in kung fu and it give me more of a reach. am i supposed to have my right leg behind my left at all times even if it gives me less reach? i dont know if this is right because it no longer is a pivot of my rear foot (right foot) and more of a transfer of weight toward the front.

say this is my starting stance L being left and R being right foot

L...
...R

after the right hook it becomes more like

L..R

is my problem just that i throw hooks from too far away?

Your problem with the feet is that the rear hook isn't useful unless you're squared up, and the only time you should be squared up is if the guy is shelled up and you are opening fire on him. The rear hook is a very rare (some would say always wrong) punch!!! Because it can't land unless you shift out of position.

As to your hooks being slow, my bet is that you are swinging them too wide and with too much arm. Practice landing the hook so your hands barely move, it's all your body violently twisting. Then they will be lightning fast and tight.

supmaynnn said:
when i do a right hook though, is it ok for my right foot to end up more up front? (since my right foot is my rear leg in my stance) i think i have a habit of doing this because i learned it in kung fu and it give me more of a reach. am i supposed to have my right leg behind my left at all times even if it gives me less reach?

Yes. You shouldn't be switching stances or ending up with your feet parallel to each other. Power in the hook doesn't come from stepping forward, it comes from pivoting the feet and rotating the trunk.
The rear hook isn't a long-reach weapon, use the cross instead if you want more range. Use proper foot work to get into range for the hooks, or you'll be soory when the opponent catches you with a punch and you're off-balance.
Use the jab as a measuring tool to see if you can reach the target, then, when you are in range- fire the hook!
Footwork, footwork, footwork! Don't compromise your base just to land a weak blow on somebody, work the feet to get your body into range.

Btw, to clarify my position, I believe you are almost always better off throwing a looping/chopping right straight than you are throwing a rear hook. Because what you usually get with a rear hook is (a) the need for a squared-up stance; (b) lack of range; (c) not enough body twist on the hook and too much arm; and (d) too slow and easy to see. So I'm not a believer. But I know some people like King Kabuki would strongly disagree.

bringing your rear foot over for a right hook doesnt really bring much power, but it can still offer enough pwoer to KO someone. a trick i try to use is make it look like im going ot throw a right roundhouse, but then actually just step over and throw a right hook. it works 80% of the time

Like they said, all the power comes from twisting your body into the punch and the closer you keep the hook in, the faster it will be.

Dedicado said:
Yes. You shouldn't be switching stances or ending up with your feet parallel to each other. Power in the hook doesn't come from stepping forward, it comes from pivoting the feet and rotating the trunk.
The rear hook isn't a long-reach weapon, use the cross instead if you want more range. Use proper foot work to get into range for the hooks, or you'll be soory when the opponent catches you with a punch and you're off-balance.
Use the jab as a measuring tool to see if you can reach the target, then, when you are in range- fire the hook!
Footwork, footwork, footwork! Don't compromise your base just to land a weak blow on somebody, work the feet to get your body into range.

totally agreed

Dedicado said:

First, I agree 100%. I just wanted to add that when your throwing your hooks you need to remember to shift your weight. The reason I bring this up is it's a great way (and easy way) to tell if your throwing hooks the right way. For instance, if you throw a right cross your weight should be on your front leg, then when you throw a left hook (with a pivot of your front foot and twist of your hips) your weight should shift to your back leg. If you aren't getting that weight shift your probably not pivoting or rotating enough. From there if you want to throw a right hook your weight should transfer back to your front leg. Also, remember to keep your elbows parallel to the floor/ground.

Sorry about bumping such an old thread, but I have a relevant question I'd like answered regarding shifting your stances when throwing a hook. My question relates to Gomi Vs. Azeredo and the knockout punch that Gomi delivers to Azeredo.

gomiko2fv.gif

I'm sorry for the size, but it was the biggest .gif I could find. Anyway, if you've seen the fight, it appears that Gomi completely shifts his body and stance to deliver the right hook. I'm no boxing expert, but it appears that his 1-2 was a fake into a left hook and then BAM! a right hook immediately after. If this is incorrect, please let me know. But anyway, if you can see his feet, he shifts from left foot forward to his right foot forward in between the 1-2.

My question is, is this standard or ill advised? Is a right foot forward the best way to throw a right hook? Is left foot forward a shitty stance for a left?

Thanks.

gomis a switch hitter, so he can pull fancy shit like that.

Thats probablly one of my favorite KO's btw.

My question is, is this standard or ill advised? Is a right foot forward the best way to throw a right hook? Is left foot forward a shitty stance for a left?

Thanks.

As always, it's a bad idea to copy the pros! Because their fighting style is something they tailored to their selves. Learn boxing the proper way from a coach, or several coaches instead of books/videos and then when you are good, tailor it to suit your preference :)

My Coach always says "Dont get style mixed up with technique"

Btw, to clarify my position, I believe you are almost always better off throwing a looping/chopping right straight than you are throwing a rear hook. Because what you usually get with a rear hook is (a) the need for a squared-up stance; (b) lack of range; (c) not enough body twist on the hook and too much arm; and (d) too slow and easy to see. So I'm not a believer. But I know some people like King Kabuki would strongly disagree.

I've been really trying to practice the rear hook lately. Its a fuckin tricky punch to throw, for all the reasons you've mentioned. First off, yes my body positioning on the bag, had to be real square and off to the side, My arm had to be bent in hook position of course, but there came of the problem of getting that quick snappy torque that you get from a regular hook (Though i see it as more of a bludgeoning punch than a quick whip/snap punch).. And yeah, it is a much slower punch than anything you else you could throw out there.

With practice on the heavy though, its gotten a bit stronger and less awkward to throw. I really like it also, cant say why. I've been studying Sweet Pea clips though, as he seems to throw more chopping and rear hooks than straight. Does it damn well too.

So where you at King Kabuki? I need some insight on the rear hook and its mechanics. shit if i get no reply, i'll probablly just end up making a thread about it. :icon_neut

So where you at King Kabuki? I need some insight on the rear hook and its mechanics. shit if i get no reply, i'll probablly just end up making a thread about it.

Wow someone wants advice from the fat Naseem Hamed? lol

Anyhow, you don't know how many times I've heard how ineffective the rear-hook is. Nay I say, just depends on when you throw it. If you got some speed it's great behind a jab because it's unexpected. It's also good following a lead-uppercut if you manage to stand the guy up...rear-hook to the body is a good punch right then followed by the lead-hook high. Then there's also the lead-hook, rear-hook combinations that work well.

Marco Antonio Barrera is one of the best rear-hand hook throwers I can recall off the top of my head.

But the trick to the rear hook is turning your toes and knees, then hips and shoulders. A lot of people try to stay rooted when they throw it and get no rotation, you have to twist the whole body. You sacrifice some balance, but you add what power you possess.

Wow someone wants advice from the fat Naseem Hamed? lol

But the trick to the rear hook is turning your toes and knees, then hips and shoulders. A lot of people try to stay rooted when they throw it and get no rotation, you have to twist the whole body. You sacrifice some balance, but you add what power you possess.

hey, sometimes fatties just out-do the fit guys in life. look at ron jeremy. lol only fucking.

gracias for comin in with the save.

So im glad i actually did catch something from watching pieces of that Sweet Pea HL over and over again, trying to figure how he threw those chopping lefts and rear hooks so damn good.

I did notice how he really turned his rear leg into that shit as opposed to just stiff leggedly trying to torque his torso. While practicing I did it on the bag with my legs stiff and rooted to the ground also, to no avail. So this week, im really twisting into that shit.

As far as speed and tightness of the rear hook goes. Im a believer. At 1:44 of the highlight below, you see Pernell beat the guy to the left hook with his own rear left hook. Granted the guy did swing it a little wide. But to Whitakers credit, that hook was just about as quick and tight of a rear hook as anybody could throw.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yjTHLPmfBCQ

As always, it's a bad idea to copy the pros! Because their fighting style is something they tailored to their selves. Learn boxing the proper way from a coach, or several coaches instead of books/videos and then when you are good, tailor it to suit your preference :)

I'm not trying to copy Gomi at all. I'm right handed and feel comfortable throwing left foot forward, but my left hook has no power behind it. This is either due to me just not practicing enough or because my left hand is so much weaker than my right. I can throw a right hook with much better form and power, but am only comfortable throwing it southpaw.

Do people not throw right hooks or something?

a rear hook can be downright devastating if you have the proper angel to throw it. If you don't have the angel or are just throwing it first obviously it probably isn't the most practical thing. It is all about situations though and it can be extremely devastating if thrown behind something or if you put yourself in a position where you can really crank it in there.

I find the right hook to the body very effective in that it is hard for my opponent to counter. Jab, right hook to the body. Once they are worried about that I can start firing my jab, left hooks and jab crosses with better results.

Back