• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Crime Homeowner arrested after confronting car thieves

Self Defense is not a carte blanche for any behavior.

It's a permission slip for any reasonable behavior, including returning fire at those shooting at You, even if You miss the target.

At what point is it ok for his safety to override the safety of innocent people?

I would say once it becomes a life or death situation. Which he was in. Anyone killed or hit in that situation will be the fault of the people who started shooting at him.

Need more details , I think some kind of charge should happen for shooting that many rounds if that's what he did.

I think when someone get's in a unexpected gun fight the adrenaline takes over and that's probably what happened. Here, in my opinion I think that is why cops shoot so many bullets in people not thinking about it.

So a guy shoots up his neighbors house and we are just supposed to take him at his word that he was returning fire?

For all we know the thieves were unarmed and the guy just went Rambo on them.

He'll have his day in court, if he can prove he was threatened before brandishing his firearm, than he'll get off.

Basic rules of firearms use:

- Treat a weapon as loaded until you have personally checked it.

- Never point a weapon at someone you're not prepared to shoot.

- Never shoot someone you're not prepared to kill.

- Always be aware of your back-stop.

Yeah, this guy deserves to be charged.

So a guy shoots up his neighbors house and we are just supposed to take him at his word that he was returning fire?

For all we know the thieves were unarmed and the guy just went Rambo on them.

He'll have his day in court, if he can prove he was threatened before brandishing his firearm, than he'll get off.

<23>

Yeah I mean it's not like there's any evidence left after a gunfight like bullet holes and shell casings that even a podunk town's forensics people could use to determine if the guy was in fact fired upon. I'm sure the judge that released him without bail didn't consult the police at all to glean whether there was any of this evidence to support the guy's story that they shot at him...

- Always be aware of your back-stop.

Sounds good in a Classroom or Practice Range. In a real world life or death situation that doesn't really factor though. Self preservation is a stronger instinct than community care.

Sounds good in a Classroom or Practice Range. In a real world life or death situation that doesn't really factor though. Self preservation is a stronger instinct than community care.

The two are not mutually exclusive. It's possible to return fire without putting innocent people at risk. Police, military etc manage to do it most of the time.

he could have backed into his house and called the police and told them "shots fired"...
sure, "backing away "assures his safety, no criminals would ever follow their victim

archer-suppressing.gif

So is this case an indication of what happens when the good guys have the guns?: The criminals got away unscathed and other good guys nearly got killed in their sleep by "friendly fire"

Back