Home Cardio Gear Help

Flounder

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Ok. I've been thinking about getting some type of cardio equipment for home. Running in 10 degrees sucks (not to mention rain/snow). Also, I'm a stay at home dad, so I figure I could fit in some cardio while my baby's napping.

I was leaning towards a recumbnant bike. Figured it would be easy on the knees, etc. I went shopping today, and didn't really like them after trying them out. They just didn't feel right on my knees/legs. It was like I was either hyperextending/locking out my knees, or I was keeping my knees overly bent.

Then I checked out elyptical machines. I'm not sure about these. They seem ok, but really put the burn in my quads.

Treadmills are out of the question. The wife will probably use the machine too, and she doesn't like treadmills. We had one for years that doubled as a coat rack.

Any input on the type of equipment that would be best suited for bjj/mma?? I'm looking to spend less then $500. Possibly maybe less then $400. Also, I'm just starting out in BJJ, so my conditioning is lacking.

A rowing machine is a great low impact cardio machine.

If you have any boxing experence:
Jump Rope
Shadow boxing
Bag Work (heavy and light)
Bas Rutten Workout

I'm a firm believer that you should only do specific cardio directed towards your sports. I coach swimming, and I don't understand why some coaches make their swimmers run (they get enough energy system trianing in the pool, and that time coudl be spend training other physical qualities). And I don't believe a figther should run, bike, row....

To prepair for BJJ/MMA:

Stretching
Jump Rope
Aglity Latter, Hurdles, Dot Dot Mats
Body Weight Movments
OR buy one of these home-workouts movies by a BJJer

maybe I should mention, that I'm 36, 240lb with 30% body fat. I'm looking to get some cardio for BJJ as well as lose weight.

What about a stationary bike it will give you cardio and it also makes your legs stronger.

I would think about injury prevention and weight loss then.

First thing first make sure your eating well, sometimes simple diet changes can be enough to drop the weight you want.

I would add some metobolic strength training (high reps 15-20), and work on your flexability for injury prevention.

I know a lot of the BJJ are now getting into cross fit and cross uses the rowing machine a lot. Cross fit, right would be to extreme for you, however, the rowing machine would a good addition for your energy system training. I would strongly recommend craiglist or local adds when buying strength training equipment.

Crossfit looks insane.

I have been using the jump rope A LOT along with burpees latley. That's what's been working for me.

matsumi said:
A rowing machine is a great low impact cardio machine.

Yep I keep one in the garage for when the weathers crap or I don't fancy running.Also you tend to use more of your whole body than just a stationery bike.Jump rope is a good one but real hard going to start with aerobically and on your calves/shins.plus you need the space inside to swing the rope which I cant do(low ceilings)Maybe do circuit training using body weight exercises ,squats pushups crunches etc giving you an aerobic workout and building some muscles which will help you burn fat too?Don't know anything about this crossfit(?) thing I'm afraid.Oh and congratulations on being a Dad,enjoy ,because they grow up so fast!

Oh what about Bas Rutten's workout dvd s or Kesting's drill dvd.you could probably put together a good routine,fron those?And score brownie points by letting the wife choose the cardio equipment...

Just go running man and mix in some sprints.

scorcho said:
Just go running man and mix in some sprints.

He said he wanted to stay in the house and do cardio whilst his baby is asleep.Also he isn't keen on getting cold or wet.A lot like me in fact although it looks like we both have a lot of natural insulation against adverse weather.Plus when I go to the beach I get Greenpeace and Save the Whales hosing me down to keep me cool and trying to return me to what they think is my natural habitat in the oceans.Plus the problems with those ships with those big harpoony things on them.Free Willy !!

Tone C said:
He said he wanted to stay in the house and do cardio whilst his baby is asleep.Also he isn't keen on getting cold or wet.A lot like me in fact although it looks like we both have a lot of natural insulation against adverse weather.Plus when I go to the beach I get Greenpeace and Save the Whales hosing me down to keep me cool and trying to return me to what they think is my natural habitat in the oceans.Plus the problems with those ships with those big harpoony things on them.Free Willy !!

Yeah, bought a jump rope a couple weeks ago, but took it back cuz I didn't really have the room to do it. I'll look into a rowing machine. Thanks for the help guys. Maybe if worse come to worse, I'll invest in the eliliptical.

Flounder said:
Yeah, bought a jump rope a couple weeks ago, but took it back cuz I didn't really have the room to do it. I'll look into a rowing machine. Thanks for the help guys. Maybe if worse come to worse, I'll invest in the eliliptical.

I trainined alot for my last tournament on an eliliptical machine b/c the treadmill gives me horrible shin splints. I really liked it. I would agree with anvar that working out according to sport is a must so I would recomend Bas' workout tape, I love it. And if you look at an eliliptical machine be sure you can do intrivle workouts, those are the best for getting great wind and increasing your cardio.

If you can afford one, a stepmill is great. A lot better than the elliptical as you are actually climbing real stairs. Huge difference in cardio demand between the two, especially at low/slow levels.

I hate to be the naysayer but I'd worry that if you had a treadmill in the past that just gathered dust, that whatever you buy now might go the same way. The vast majority of home gym equipment sees decent early use but inside of six months (normally after the first few weeks), ends up as a clothes hanger.

If you have the money to burn, then give it a shot by all means. Otherwise I'd reccomend an 'around the house' program for several months. If you can reliably stick to that, then splurge on the home gym equipment.

Stair runs at home, burpees, heavy bag work, workout vids there's a lot you can do without spending big money on home cardio.

Hope that doesn't come off as too big of a downer.

Nah, not a downer at all. The treadmill was more for the wife then me. Of course in all honesty, I'm an on again/ off again exerciser, so you may be right anyway. I'm trying to stick with bjj/dieting/exercising for good this time though. I don't think I'm disciplined enouch for the home exercises to really reap a benefit out of them. I kinda need one simple thing I can get on and set the timer. But thanks for the help. We'll see.

I had a top of the line "Brand name" tread mill for years and hated it. Last year I bought a Smooth Fitness tread mill and I love the thing. The motor and tread keep up, it's smooth as hell and the controls work great.

www.SSFgear.com

Back