Holy Smokes! A Saoul Mamby Sighting.......

JMyersDTN

Sherdog Writer: Joseph Myers
Reaction score
From Fightnews.com......

Mamby, 60, loses decision!
By Robert Coster
Former world champion Saoul Mamby lost a ten round decision to one Anthony Osbourne last Saturday in the Cayman Islands. Many question whether Mamby, who will turn 61 in June, should be allowed to fight anywhere. Certainly Osbourne (6-25-1) is no ball of fire but, even so, it's interesting to note that the aged Mamby (45-34-6, 19 KOs) turned pro 36 years ago (before Osbourne's birth), won a world title eight years later and there is no doubt that Saoul's "comeback" to ring action will be cited in the Guiness Book of Records. Another notable fact should be mentioned. Mamby, noted for having one of the toughest chins in boxing history, went the ten round distance with a man 29 years his junior -- an admirable feat for the worthy old champion with eleven grandkids -- but still not good for his health.
Monday, March 10 2008

holy shit. what is he out for Archie Moore's record?

Wow 61 and 148 lbs? Dude must still be in shape.

Damn, I just checked boxrec and he did just have a fight. Mamby is an old mofo but he still must be fit considering he lasted 10 rounds and went to a decision. My goodness...some boxers just won't quit. I remember hearing Foreman talking about a comeback 4 years ago...of course it didn't happen but he would've old too.

Damn, I just checked boxrec and he did just have a fight. Mamby is an old mofo but he still must be fit considering he lasted 10 rounds and went to a decision. My goodness...some boxers just won't quit. I remember hearing Foreman talking about a comeback 4 years ago...of course it didn't happen but he would've old too.

Yeah, it's amazing to me he fought, much less went 10 rounds. I got that story from fightnews.com, which is a reputable Web site, so I figured it was true. Did boxrec say what the scores were?

Mamby was a distance fighter. He was tough, also. He wasn't dropped until he was into his forties, and stopped just once if I remember correctly.

When was this????

I literally sae himon the 1 Train headed toward the Staten Island Ferry (Battery Park).

The train was packed and he got up from his seat and gave ot to a lady. I waited too long. Was nervous of stepping to someone in front of so many people. Before he got off the stop--he was heading for the door before the train stopped--I asked himif he were SaoulMamby.

He looked please someone would remember him. He shook my hand, which felt like sandpaper, told me thank you--I told him he' was a great champion--and proceeded to leave.

If there is a next time, I will ask him or any other boxer for possibly a short interview.

peace

When was this????

I literally sae himon the 1 Train headed toward the Staten Island Ferry (Battery Park).

The train was packed and he got up from his seat and gave ot to a lady. I waited too long. Was nervous of stepping to someone in front of so many people. Before he got off the stop--he was heading for the door before the train stopped--I asked himif he were SaoulMamby.

He looked please someone would remember him. He shook my hand, which felt like sandpaper, told me thank you--I told him he' was a great champion--and proceeded to leave.

If there is a next time, I will ask him or any other boxer for possibly a short interview.

peace

I believe the article said it was this past weekend or sometime in the last couple of weeks.

I just checked his record on Boxrec. He was only stopped once in his career, by a 19-0-1 Derrell Coley on Aug. 13 of 1993. It was his eighth straight loss at that point and he won three straight after that.

Back