Holly Holm,"If you can't even face the media then I don't think you can mentally be ready for the f"

54004094.jpg

I said the same thing before the fight, got some shit for it. Like it was too preposterous to even be considered by a serious person.

Then what happens?

Ronda gets hit once and all of a sudden she flashes back to UFC 193 until Herb Dean wakes her up.

The most boring and waste of an interview in MMA today.

Why do reporters bother interviewing her? Not only is she the most vanilla personality ever, she always sounds like she just got done training, or just woke up. he cadence in the way she talks is soo....S...lllloooo....wwww.

How do you feel about your opponent?

Ummmm.....I.....Really.......Feel.....Like.....It's a great.......Fight.....

She makes me wanna fall asleep.

I feel what you're saying but I think her voice is soothing. Like how when I was a kid hearing people chew or eat gave me a soothing effect. I feel her talking has a similar effect.

Pretty much ending her relevance in mainstream media in one foul kick.
I'm a new fan but they didn't show that footage in the buildup to Ronda vs Nunes even once

it was all flying throws, armbars, and a couple of crazy knockouts! wtf

I'm a new fan but they didn't show that footage in the buildup to Ronda vs Nunes even once

it was all flying throws, armbars, and a couple of crazy knockouts! wtf

How's Ronda's Hollywood career going?

That was what I was referring to.

She loves the Jesus, so I'm sure some hipster out there has to hate her for that. Otherwise, it could only be the people who still believe the Ronda fight was a fluke.

I love Holly.
But Holly isn't pushy about her religion the way other fighters are - like Bendo, Victor, Yoel "no for gay Jesus" Romero, Jon Jones, and others. They're always preaching and making their religion a very public, very cringy thing. Holly doesn't really push it like they do.

I agree. She's so terrified of saying something controversial that she weighs every word twice before stammering it out. It's a pity, because Holly's a cool chick with tons of personality when she's being herself.

WearyReflectingCowbird.gif
Exactly this bro. Exactly this.

Not to take anything away from Nunes, because it very well could be the case that she is just the better fighter, but you can't just completely discount the mental aspect. As Holly was saying, it all flows into one another. ..the mental, the conditioning, the skills. If she never addressed the original problems and loss due to her weak mental state, then she put herself at a disadvantage from the start. The instant she got hit, she was pretty much done. All she had left was some panic judo clench attempts.
If she wasn't comfortable talking about the fight, how the hell could she be comfortable fighting again? She's going to have to answer those questions in front of everyone in the cage anyways.
Holly completely exposed her. I just don't see her doing anything differently against Nunes if her mind was "right". She's still gonna get lit up standing, she's still not gonna have any boxing defense or technical offensive ability, and she still isn't capable of shooting for a successful takedown. Mind and body obviously work together, but I'd chalk this up to a very one-dimensional fighter getting soundly beaten.

As a fight fan you don't care that her fights are boring?

So what you saying Holly KOing Ronda and boxing her up was boring to you or her losing to Miesha by not tapping but napping was boring to you? As a fight fan I enjoyed every ounce of it both in winning & losing....

I agree. She's so terrified of saying something controversial that she weighs every word twice before stammering it out. It's a pity, because Holly's a cool chick with tons of personality when she's being herself.

WearyReflectingCowbird.gif

Yep, all of this. Her teammate Michelle seems to strike the perfect balance of nice and honest in her interviews. I like how she said Paige was green and not on her level anywhere. Of course Michelle also has that go-to smile that lights up the room which she uses regularly.

She's got the motion of the ocean!

Remember this Q&A pre-194 just after she KO'ed Ronda, we were all so jubilant someone serenaded her after wards and we all sang along:

That was one of the most epic off-octagon mma moment ever! we all ended up singing along with this guy!

Back