Holloway showed zero footwork and head-movement!!

Poirier's reach was on full display last night

I knew it'd be a close fight but I didn't expect Poirier to continuously out box Max into the later rounds

he usually shows great control of distance too but seemed to struggle in that respect.

credit goes to Dustin though, he performed very well.

You can see it in that first round that he was surprised and stunned with Dustin's power that he was in survival mode. All your plans go out the window when you're getting rocked over and over again.

After getting taken down and subbed in their first fight, he probably trained more grappling for this camp than usual.
Maybe lighting up Ortega, who has nearly no standup gave him too much confidence in his striking.
At this point Poirier has better standup than everybody Holloway has ever faced.

Widespread Sherdogger ignorance was on full display imo.

I've always said that Holloway is not quite built like Diaz. He can do it to featherweights but against harder more precise punchers it will be difficult to keep a straight face.

And he clearly had more difficulty here. He wasnt advancing as intensely as usual, but he tried.

In the lighter weight class Max can give better than he gets...not so much last night..

It was his first fight at a new weight. Combine getting rocked with the new weight, he was probably just having an off night while Poirier looked fantastic. That being said 49-46 was a trash score.

Back