Holding guys down???

RIOTSQUAD

White Belt
Reaction score
so yeah i was wondering if you had any tips on holding guys down???

it's just because tonight at training i was in my partners full guard and he just keep shrimping out easily.

Any help is greatly appreciated :) x

if you are in someone closed guard (there is not such as full guard), you need to learn to break and open the guard.

If you passed on you knee, then it his hips that you need to pin down. once he shrimps out, it is his feets/knees/ pants that you need to control/pin down to pass to side control.

This is my game, I hold the smaller faster even the bigger guys down, I stay in their guard and bait them untill I see an opening, if your staying low and based out, tuck your elbows in and hold his belt, if NoGi, just bring your elbows to your knees holding his hips in place, in no time he'll start shrimping around and trying to create space, if your savvey enough, you'll catch a pass.... I always do:)

he had you in guard? and he kept shrimping out?

what does that mean?

if you mean shrimp like i understand it, bridge and shrimp is to escape side control

but do you mean he would lift his hips up when you try to open his legs?

or if you did open his legs, he would make space so you couldnt get past his legs?

This is my game, I hold the smaller faster even the bigger guys down, I stay in their guard and bait them untill I see an opening, if your staying low and based out, tuck your elbows in and hold his belt, if NoGi, just bring your elbows to your knees holding his hips in place, in no time he'll start shrimping around and trying to create space, if your savvey enough, you'll catch a pass.... I always do:)

That's actually such a simple way to pass I'm surprised I don't do it more often. A lot of people do it on me and they usually pass or come really close to passing.

Hmm.. I'll be sure to try that out tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

BTW: War Paragon Laredo!!! :D

128860316904709826.jpg

If your opponent shrimps away that means his guard is open. I would posture up and grip their pants around the knee (usually outside part) and work to pin them to the mat and get ready for a guard pass.

Back