Ho do you stop the opponent moving your legs when you are on the bottom?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by Kalma, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Kalma

Kalma Orange Belt

I usually try to pass guard but today thought today I 'd try starting from the bottom a few times while rolling.

Every time they'd just grab my legs and move them out of the way and come around.

I am unsure what the legs are actually doing. Am I actually meant to apply any pressure against my opponent with them ? I was under the impression I shouldn't be using strength at all during bjj and only technique. However I keep getting smashed. I find it hard to stop someone moving my legs out of the way without using any strength.

The same with grips, I never grip tight and use strength to hold an opponent rather just relax and don't use any strength, again I just get smashed.

How can I stop the opponent moving my guard without using any strength ?

2. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Purple Belt

Are you training under a qualified instructor?

Your idea about "not using strength" is confused. It doesn't mean not to apply pressure to anything, ever, it means not to waste power by using it inefficiently.

3. Knock Out Ned

Knock Out Ned el mero mero

What kind of guard are you playing? Never let your opponent flatten the bottom or top part of your body out. Keep you knees bent and close to your chest and and don't lie flat on your back and they won't be able to just get around you.

Don't let them grab your legs, either. Grip or hand fight.

Use strength when you rolland leg strength when you have people in your guard. Good luck.

4. Spiderguard Man

Spiderguard Man Orange Belt

it is a well known fact that helio invented leverage because he had no muscles. He was all joints and sinew. He couldn't use muscles because he didn't have any and yet he was the greatest jiu jitsu master the world has ever seen. Continue to avoid all use of muscle and you could also rise to his level of greatness.

5. SuperSuperRambo

SuperSuperRambo Senior Moderator Senior Moderator

No such thing exists, otherwise you'd be lying limp on the floor.

6. Dogstarman

Dogstarman Old man jiu jitsu

I have you about a 5/10.

Lol, yeah. Jiu jitsu gives you magic powers. After you master it you never use strength again. When getting out of bed its just technique no strength used. Also, when you walk you begin to float around, because god forbid you use strength to move around. You need to be a Black belt to start floating around permanently though, White belts use to much strength. Not until you reach purple does it start happening randomly.

7. virtuoso

virtuoso Blue Belt

First, as everyone else said, BJJ is not magical. You do have to use strength, but you must use it efficiently. I actually talked to a whitebelt about it last night, because he made the statement that he was trying to not use any strength. You want to use strength, but at the right time. Use it to accomplish a technique. When you use it to flail around, power out of things, etc., then that's wasted energy.

Second, it's simple, but don't let them grab your legs. If they have control of both of your legs, you're going to have a very hard time keeping them from passing.

8. randomg1t

randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

man that would be so awesome.

9. FernandoBJJ

FernandoBJJ White Belt

some strength will need to be used, theres no such thing as a jedi force that can keep your opponent from passing, just use it at the right moment..
    For example if the opponent griped and is controlling both your legs his pass will become easier, thats when you use strength and the technique to break his grips... As a guard player, i would recomend you to have at least one grip at all times, it may be on the collar or the hand sleeve (shit english aint my first languange so im not sure how you name a gi sleeve.) if you do maintain that grip you can start breaking posture, closing guard, x guard, spider guard.. try rolling more from bottom, your game will grow as you fight from that position

10. Einarr

Einarr Banned Banned

Sounds like you're having trouble getting passed with Torreando/Bullfighter style passes? Don't let them get those pant grips and if they do you need to break them off ASAP. There's a lot of resources on defeating the Torreando pass on youtube, ask your instructor too.

Also, like everyone is saying not using strength is impossible, you just need to use strength/energy efficiently. The old Judo maxim is "Maximum efficiency, minimum effort" not "no effort".

11. Uchi Mata

Uchi Mata Preaching the gospel of heel hooks and left kicks

I'd say 6/10, because it's a little believable if he hadn't laid it on so thick.

12. shunyata

shunyata Red Belt

Bravo sir.