History will not be kind to GSP

I don't think he should be remembered well. He's picked his fights, fights safe, and IMO has relied heavily on PED's.

But he will be remembered well; he's got a great record, moved the needle, and never failed a PED test like Jones, Silva, Lesnar all did. Despite that, he might still be 5th-7th most memorable fighter of all fighters up to this point; behind Conor, Ronda, maybe those 3 I mentioned, and maybe Royce. But ahead of all the PRIDE legends, and UFC legends like Vitor, Randy, Tito, Chuck, Hughes, BJ.

He was a journeyman champ. Him having a losing record vs the top 10 fighters he faced is a fact. GSP was an elite fighter coming back much like Sugar Ray after his 3-year layoff, but he did it against Hagler.

The odds were -200 GSP and thats considering he has a HUUUUUGE following so they put the the odds even greater in his favor. BEfore the fight happened all his haters said Bisping would smash GSP, all of them. Now after the fight they say Bisping is some kind of bum.

OH and stop it with that losing record against the top 10 bullshit. During the USADA era he had one of the best resume.

Some good points!! 3 reasons i say Gsp will never be the goat!
1. Lost his title in his prime
2. Made excuses past & present to avoid Silva.
3. Out of all the goat highlight reels, Gsp's is most boring. #DecisionCity

Joined. August 2014. Considers Mcgregor to be an all time great , says history eont be kind to GSP. All you really need to know. Onto the wasteland please MODS

The odds were -200 GSP and thats considering he has a HUUUUUGE following so they put the the odds even greater in his favor. BEfore the fight happened all his haters said Bisping would smash GSP, all of them. Now after the fight they say Bisping is some kind of bum.

OH and stop it with that losing record against the top 10 bullshit. During the USADA era he had one of the best resume.
Bisping was a better champion then McGregor. Earned his MW title shot, and actually defended his belt. Hate the guy but really , he gets more hate then he deserves

There's no way to logically argue that GSP is better than Jones, who is undefeated, or Silva, who he ducked his entire career. If you want to be ignorant and pretend that GSP is the 1 top tier fighter who never used any enhancing drugs (even though Keith Kizer said GSP camp had a million questions about what they test for, and when the test would be), then Cormier is still higher than GSP in every regard, that's pretty self explanatory.
Jones GSP Silva Fedor Aldo

I know there are many accomplishments that GSP achieved, like being one of best welterweights of all time. But he will never be known to be a fighter that truly ever tested himself...

LMAO

spoken like someone who has never competed in anything at a relatively high level in their entire life.

to dismiss what GSP has accomplished as never truly testing himself is to demonstrate that you don't have the *slightest* clue of what that entailed, day in and day out.

let me guess, you're one of those idiots who plays Call of Duty and thinks that what military vets, with multiple tours in combat zones, have done 'is not that big of a deal', amiright? lol

No one will think of GSP like that outside of a few dumbass sherbros with an agenda.

Fact.

Live with it.

I wouldn’t really care about history if I had 30 mil in the bank to be honest.

Maybe if one day I was the Lance Armstrong of my sport but there are so many candidates in MMA.

The greats of any sport that become legends who are never forgotten are the greats with either the records or the greats with the highlight reels. If you don't have the records that will bring your name up for generations or the highlights that will continuously be seen by the next generations of fans who didn't live in your era, you will be forgotten by the next generation.

Records and Highlights are the key to sports immortality.

Hes gonna go down as a goat.

But i do agree with you. Like honestly who is gonna go back and watch Gsp/Sheilds, or GSP/Koscheck and be entertained?

He was so dominant, but so.. Fuckin boring. Never will i support a fighter like that. Id rather see you try and make an exciting fight and lose

Never took a huge liking to GSP because of his fight safe first mentality once he held the belt the second time around, but to attempt to discredit what he’s done in the sport and meant to Canadian MMA is diluted and emotionally suspect.

He will go down as one of the a
GOATs if he’s able to keep his record with USADA clean and doesn’t go full on Jones.

First off, his "return" to MW was one of the most shameful displays of fighting spirit I have ever seen.

Jennifer-Aniston-looking-disgusted-GIF.gif

/insert “I am now dumber” speech from Billy Madison here.

he never tested himsef?

look at his record, all but like 1 guy have wiki pages. barely any names/cans. he was in the cage with hughes when he was just 7-0.

jon jones would have more losses on his record for example if he was in their with machida instead of stephan bonnar at that point in time. gsp's been fighting the best since the beginning

I know there are many accomplishments that GSP achieved, like being one of best welterweights of all time. But he will never be known to be a fighter that truly ever tested himself. First off, his "return" to MW was one of the most shameful displays of fighting spirit I have ever seen. He shoehorned himself into a stacked division to fight a very suspect Michael Bisping, win the title, and then leave the division in disarray. Second, he ducked Anderson Silva his entire career citing some odd reason or another. And now instead of actually coming back to compete at WW that is stacked with legitimate contenders, he throws garbage challenges around at LIGHTWEIGHT? Absolutely shameful.

When I think of legendary fighters, names that come to mind are Daniel Cormier, Conor McGregor(say what you will, but the guy at least goes out there, takes a big step up in competition and gets his ass kicked with a smile, be it for the money), and hopefully Henry Cejudo. Fighters that realize they are at the top of their game/division and take the next step towards greatness. Something we will NEVER see out of GSP. If he wants money fights, he should stick around long enough to earn it and not expect to cherry pick opponents, especially at a weight class he has no business being in and probably will never make weight for. His track record consists of ducking MW until it was convenient enough for him to not do so and hightailing it from the UFC when he saw how stacked WW was becoming. I hope Dana/WME hold true to their word and not allow his sideshow to derail legit contenders.
There are alot of people that say alot of "wrong things" on this board. This definitely rates up there.
GSP has been, is, and always will be on the "Mount Rushmore" of MMA. thats about as close to an indisputable fact as you can get

Back