Highest % Sweeps No-gi

BREAKNEK

Yellow Belt
@Yellow
Reaction score
What Are The Highest % Sweeps In No-gi? I'm Very Short For My Weight 5'9" At 225 And Have A Hard Time Getting Comfortable In The Guard. But Want To Learn To Sweep Better Cause My Legs Are Too Short To Triangle And Rubber Guard Big Guys. So I Want To Sweep Cause I'm Good On Top. And Its Hard To Take Down Alot Of These Hvy Weights. Want To Pull Guard And Then Work For Sweeps And Maybe An Armbar Set Up From The Sweeps. I'm Not Bad A Scissor Sweep With The Gi. But Have Major Problems With No Gi

I have the same problem from regular full guard. I can usually nail an armbar sweep if I get the armbar setup, and scissor sweeps and helicopter sweeps work occasionally, but they're still not high percentage moves for me. Since I prefer top position, and want to be able to sweep more from the bottom, I'm now trying to incorporate more butterfly guard, X-guard and half guard techniques into my game.

I'm Only Just Starting Out. I'm A 3 Stripe White Belt(can't Even Test For Blue Until I've Been There Six Months) But I Was A State Champ In Wrestling And I Think I Had Some Bad Habits. Under A Saulo Associated School. And We Only Do Gi. But I Compete In No-gi Mostely Cause I Can Dominate Even In Intermediate Cause Of The Takedowns. But I Need Video Or Pictures Cause I'm Not Totally Familiar With The No-gi Techniques And Termanology. Thanks Guys

Sweeps aren't always going to work first, second, or third try.

Learn to chain different sweeps together (ones that YOU personally like) and you become much more effective. There's plenty of awesome sweeps, but you have to figure out which ones you LIKE!

the most important thing you must remember in jiu jitsu, and in life, is that the capslock key should not be overused. it will lose it's poignancy.

the most important thing you must remember in jiu jitsu, and in life, is that the capslock key should not be overused. it will lose it's poignancy.

OK I MUST GET THIS OUTTA THE WAY AS I HAVE ON OTHER FORUMS. I HAVE TO HAVE MY CAPS LOCK ON DUE TO THE C.A.D. WORK I DO BECAUSE OF PROGRAMS I EDIT. SO TO EVERYONE I'M NOT YELLING. I DON'T GET INTO ARGUMENTS ON THE INTERNET. I GET ENOUGH FROM MY WIFE!!LOL

haha, that's actually pretty funny. or rather

HAHA THAT IS FUNNY

bump sweep

Video? Explanation?

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/39iJjkrd-R8&hl=en"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/39iJjkrd-R8&hl=en" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

Also look into the tepee for an alternate triangle for people with shorter legs.

Learn from the likes of Roger Gracie, Robert Drysdale and Pe de Pano.

OK just kidding.

Hook sweeps from butterfly position are best for your built but they take time to master. Also if they are not a big part of your instructor's game then its hard to learn them. Combine this with X-guard sweeps you can cover a wide base positions. Whatever works for Marcelo Garcia should work for you.

Scissor sweep is simple and easy to learn. You will find yourself in scissor sweep position a lot because you would not be able to keep closed guard with short legs.

A bump sweep off of a failed Kimura attempt can work.

Also with short legs you will find yourself playing half guard a lot, so there are some good sweeps from the half guard you can learn for sure. My favorite style of half guard is what Eddie Bravo does.

And speaking of Eddie Bravo, if he can excuse the rubber guard with his built why can't you? Rubber guard has more to do with flexibility than long legs.

Learn from the likes of Roger Gracie, Robert Drysdale and Pe de Pano.

OK just kidding.

Hook sweeps from butterfly position are best for your built but they take time to master. Also if they are not a big part of your instructor's game then its hard to learn them. Combine this with X-guard sweeps you can cover a wide base positions. Whatever works for Marcelo Garcia should work for you.

Scissor sweep is simple and easy to learn. You will find yourself in scissor sweep position a lot because you would not be able to keep closed guard with short legs.

A bump sweep off of a failed Kimura attempt can work.

Also with short legs you will find yourself playing half guard a lot, so there are some good sweeps from the half guard you can learn for sure. My favorite style of half guard is what Eddie Bravo does.

And speaking of Eddie Bravo, if he can excuse the rubber guard with his built why can't you? Rubber guard has more to do with flexibility than long legs.

THANKS I WAS FREAKING WHEN YOU SAID ROGER AT FIRST LIKE,"WILT CHAMBERLIN OF JIU-JITSU" LOL. BUT , I HEAR YOU ABOUT THE RUBBER GUARD, MAYBE I JUST NEED TO WORK ON IT ALOT B-4 I ABANDON IT. I'M WORKING ON MY FLEXABILITY. LIKE I SAID I'M OVER 220. BUT I WILL TAKE YOUR GOOD ADVICE AND FOLLOW MARCELO MORE. WONDERING WHICH VIDEO WILL BE BEST FOR ME THOUGH. HOW TALL IS DRYSDALE? HE DIDN'T SEEM VERY TALL.

THANKS I WAS FREAKING WHEN YOU SAID ROGER AT FIRST LIKE,"WILT CHAMBERLIN OF JIU-JITSU" LOL. BUT , I HEAR YOU ABOUT THE RUBBER GUARD, MAYBE I JUST NEED TO WORK ON IT ALOT B-4 I ABANDON IT. I'M WORKING ON MY FLEXABILITY. LIKE I SAID I'M OVER 220. BUT I WILL TAKE YOUR GOOD ADVICE AND FOLLOW MARCELO MORE. WONDERING WHICH VIDEO WILL BE BEST FOR ME THOUGH. HOW TALL IS DRYSDALE? HE DIDN'T SEEM VERY TALL.

Oh I forgot that you are 220 lbs, I was thinking more about your height. I think you have some sort of weight advantage there, it would be hard for people to smash you in the guard like they do to smaller guys. The downside is most big guys don't move side to side very well and not as flexible (though it can be archived but needs a little more work).

Marcelo's first no-gi DVD series is the best for butterfly and taking the back. I wouldn't recommend it for a beginner though.

I estimate Robert Drysdale to be 6'3"-6'4". Speaking of, Robert has his own version of the rubber guard that doesn't require much flexibility in his DVD series.

Back