High percentage techniques

machomang

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Hey guys, what are some techniques you personally use that are high percentage? Something that you consistently nail with relative ease?

I just recently learned the situp escape from bottom side. It's so effortless and effective. it's strange it isn't taught more.

For sweeps, i find that deep half and omoplata sweeps are surprizingly high percentage. I also like doing simplified berimboloish sweeps.

For submissions, i find that baseball choke from knee on belly or side control, and armbar from everywhere are the highest percentage. For me. For submitting form the back, i find the bow and arrow is the highest percentage.

Hey guys, what are some techniques you personally use that are high percentage? Something that you consistently nail with relative ease?

I just recently learned the situp escape from bottom side. It's so effortless and effective. it's strange it isn't taught more.

the reason situp escape isn't taught more, is because it requires a significant amount of timing and against bigger opponents, basically useless. There are some people who are just good at that escape, but for a lot of people (not all) its not a high percentile move.

While I agree the sit up escape is very high percentage. High percentage is rarely a universal thing, you make your own moves high percentage. What I consider high percentage might be low percentage for you.

For me, triangles and darce chokes are high percentage.

Armbars afterwards but not nearly as much

The whole X guard complex. If you can get it started, it's almost impossible to stop a sweep. In general though the highest percentage stuff is the most basic. That's why you learn it first, because it's useful in the most circumstances. Research Roger Gracie if you want to see how high percentage basics can be.

SUBS:

Americana from top or bottom.
kneebar from z guard.
Mounted triangle from s mount.
Mounted armbar from s mount.
banana split from truck.
triangle from meathook.
modified omo from meathook
kneebar from top half
kneebar from russian cowboy
Straight ankle

PASSES:

Double under.
Over under.
log splitter
leg drag
fly over
punch pass

SWEEPS/reversals:
like 3 buttefly sweeps that I don't know what they're called

single leg x "stand up" sweep (don't know what's it's called)

popovitch deep half guard stand up sweep (the one he hit on
Marcelo when he beat him)

"old school" from lockdown

some bastardized version of the bottom side control stuff that Nino Schembri showed on Rolled Up where I kind of bait guys to go for judo side and then I just roll them back.

MISC:

arm drags and Russian two on one from wherever I can get it. Closed guard. Half guard. Butterfly. Pretty much my favorite way to the back. And once I get the back, I rarely take the back with two hooks. I prefer the truck so I basically hunt for that single leg hook/leg ride. And armdrags and two on one are my yellow brick road to that place.

tip toe mount from twister side control. I'm pretty sure I've always gotten mount from this move. It's just too easy.

EDIT:
Looking back on this list, my style is so damn lazy. I pretty much try to get from point A to Z as easily as possible. My best subs don't really have a lot of steps to get to.

Last edited:
For me, triangles and darce chokes are high percentage.

Armbars afterwards but not nearly as much

You must be a flexible person with long legs and arms, otherwise those submissions wouldn't be that high percentage. I think Fedor said once that he wouldn't go for triangles as his legs were too short and unflexible for that.

Most sweeps from lockdown, not a lot of people know how to deal with them.

Slam ham jam side control. I hit it every time. Do you train this teqniq?

O soto gari/otoshi
Ko soto gake
Juji gatame
Tsukkikomi jime
standard scissor sweep
You must be a flexible person with long legs and arms, otherwise those submissions wouldn't be that high percentage. I think Fedor said once that he wouldn't go for triangles as his legs were too short and unflexible for that.

Meh, you don't need to have long legs to make a triangle work. If your legs are too short and/or thick, or your opponent's neck and shoulder are too big, you can still finish by only crossing your feet.

I don't know the question, but the answer is double wrist lock.

Back