High Kick question..

HUNTERMANIA

Always Striving.
@Silver
Reaction score
Ok, I did use search function but I didn't really find anythign useful for this.

I am trying to become proficient at high kicks.

So... I am currently doing split stretches (I can't go all the way down yet) and just general leg stretches, along with just practicing high kicks on my heavy bag.

is there any particular thing I should be doing to become more proficient? or any routine for doing this?

thanks.

i always do the splits and front splits(left and right) before and after every training session after like 2 months i cud kick head height ,right now i dont know exactly how high i can kick but a couple of sparring sessions ago i landed my first head kick and it was against someone like 5 inches taller?

splits are good for high kicks, plus doing shadow high kicks will help immensly as well, also put a mark on your bag that his high up and try to kick it consistently.

Spoonman7 said:
splits are good for high kicks, plus doing shadow high kicks will help immensly as well, also put a mark on your bag that his high up and try to kick it consistently.

Yeah, I do that, but sometimes I hit my bag's chains, because my bag is hung kind of low (it is hung on a stand, not from the ceiling) so I am gonna try to get some covers for the chains so I don't hit them anymore, because those hurt really bad.

Yeah am also interested in knowing about this. How would you go about training for a full split? Do you do static stretches (how long would hold a stretch, and how often would you do them)? Or are dynamic swings more effective? And do you do a light warm up before you stretch or just go right to it?

dynamic is very good for high kicks because that's the kind of movement you do in a kick
I do dynamic stretches and it does help aswel as kicking the bag as high as I can and shadowkicking

oh yeah and I've also read that it's better to do dynamic stretches before kicking than static stretches

hows your lower back

Some people have stiff lower backs and they over compensate and it throws their technique off.

You warm up with dynamic stretching kicks (kicking straight up until yor knee touches yor shoulder without bending it) to the front and side. Then you do your workout/sparring, etc. After your high intensity sparring/kicking session, find a partner to help you do ballistic stretches (side splits, front splits) and hold them for at least 2-3 mintes. Do the ballistic stretches as an addendum to your workout 2-3x a week.

Back