Hey guys, can you read this real fast?

B

Brand Nizzle

Yo everyone. I just posted this in the S&P forum. I just finished writing a quick letter to my friend Jeremy from school. He weights 198 pounds right now, and wants to gain weight for the wrsetling season to be heavyweight. He has his reasons, even though I told him it is not likely and will require a lot of work. Anyway, can you guys read this letter I wrote for him and tell me if it is accurate or not? Point out anything that is not true or anything like that, just tell me if it is even flat out wrong too. I am still learning. lol. I copied and pasted one post from a S&P thread so if it sounds familiar that is why. If it was your post that I copied and pasted it from, and you want me to take it out, I understand I guess. Alright here it is, I tried to cover the basics in gaining weight :

Yo Jeremy. Here are some tips on Gaining weight, specifically muscle mass so you can go Heavyweight for the wrestling season. Without the use of steroids, you have quite a feat in head of you. Haha. You need to focus on 4 things for gaining weight.

-Lifting
-Eating
-Sleeping
-Eating

I definitely put eating twice for a reason. You need to eat lots of food. Eat so much food that you start getting strange looks from people. If your friends and family don't start making comments about how much you're eating...then you know you haven't really changed your intake. When you lift, you need to be lifting for hypertrophy gains (Hypertrophy = Muscle Growth). My weight lifting method of this would be to lift 60-70 % of your 1 rep max, 3-4 sets of 12-15 reps, 3-4 times a week. Do this for about 6 weeks, rest, and then increase the weights used. However, I guess you can use the schools weight room lifting routine. I

12-15 reps is too high for gaining size. Shoot for the 8 range @ more weight. Try to increase weights a lot sooner then 6 weeks, more like every single week even if its just a little bit. The more I've researched the more I found you really should get more then 1g of protein per lb. More like 1.5g.

You're right when you recommend more compound movements the isolation, but unless he's lifting for pure strength only, some stuff like bicep curls will defintely give you bigger arms.

Not really sure what your friends goal is, but remember while you lift weights in bodybuilding and powerlifting, both have different approaches, and sherdog does not have a BB'ing forum. I personally shoot for middle ground. I would recommend doing the same, lotta good advice on bodybuilding.com.

yea lower reps was the only thing I saw.

lower reps heavier weights. depending on how much weight he needs to gain he might want to to take in more protien.

oh yea, gurgel got a beating in round 2. lol was a pretty decent match.

Actually, anything under 14 reps (and over 6) is still in the hypertrophy range. Most bodybuilders train year-round in the 6-12 range; however, it is becoming more popular to train max strength and then convert that into size (a sort of reverse periodization).

Theoretically, 1g protein per 1lb bodyweight is too much, but if it works for you, great. Personally, I think most guys don't get any carbs after they workout and that's the #1 problem right now- not protein.

TJS said:
yea lower reps was the only thing I saw.

Can anyone do 12-15 reps at 75-80%? For me to get up to 12 reps I have to be more like in the 60-70% range. Of course I'm a pussy, but...

Other than that, really good post. Enjoyed reading it.

Madmick said:
Actually, anything under 14 reps (and over 6) is still in the hypertrophy range. Most bodybuilders train year-round in the 6-12 range; however, it is becoming more popular to train max strength and then convert that into size (a sort of reverse periodization).

Theoretically, 1g protein per 1lb bodyweight is too much, but if it works for you, great. Personally, I think most guys don't get any carbs after they workout and that's the #1 problem right now- not protein.

Can you give me an example of how you would include carbs into a post workout situation. I generally have a protein shake within 15 or so minutes of a lift. How would I include carbs into this?

Madmick said:

Thank you. I'm getting a little tired of this "1400 grams of protein a day minimum!!!" bullshit.

LCDforMe said:
Can you give me an example of how you would include carbs into a post workout situation. I generally have a protein shake within 15 or so minutes of a lift. How would I include carbs into this?

Be prepared for the best news you've heard in a long time. For convenience, you can simply buy a carbohydrate powder- Maltodextrin- that costs about $2.50 a pound.

Since I'm at a 3:1 ratio of carbs/protein, when I know I won't be home and have access to a blender or real food (which is always preferable to powder), here is my new post-workout formula I customized using "The Lab" at Protein Factory. I also eat a breakfast bar to round out the perfect 3:1 since it's real food and I can carry it in my bag:

15% Hydrolyzed 520
15% CFM Whey Isolate
70% Maltodextrin
Sweetener: Stevia or Splenda
Flavor: Chocolate
Price: $4.57/lb ($22.85 for 5lbs before shipping)

Maltodextrin is a medium-chain carbohydrates (considered complex) that has the highest glycemic load of any carbohydrate, period. This will spike your insulin and flush your cells with nutrients.

Hydrolyzed 520 is whey protein isolate but with broken up chains that allow for even quicker digestibility; however, it is bitter, so you shouldn't put more than 20% in your formula (I got cocky with the 15%, then ordered 2 lbs. of all-purpose stuff with 25% hydrolyzed casein in it, and I haven't really been using that stuff too much).

CFM Whey Isolate is the best whey protein available. They take the crude stuff (WPC, or Whey Protein Concentrate, sold in 90% of the tubs out there), and refine it by microfiltering it; the refinement removes excess fat and lactose. CFM has the advantage over the chemical refinements like Iso-Chill and Ion Echange because it doesn't destroy the natural amino acid profile of the protein.

I got into an argument with Coach D over this before he got banned (or rather, he got into an argument with me) and his main contention was that even CFM Isolate isn't worth the price because WPC retains more BCAA's and Growth Hormone Factors. However, BCAA's only proven benefits have been in mental focus and only when ingested immediately before or during exercise, so a post-workout BCAA boost won't do you any good (my Acclerade is fortified in the BCAA's, so that's perfect, IMO). As for growth hormone factors, this is totally bogus, I just read that in every study done on the IGF's revealed they didn't actually stimulate growth hormone in the body. Besides, if you really believe in that, get colostrum- it's IGF levels are so high that the NCAA bans it. This must mean it's great, right? No, it just reflects how retarded the NCAA's drug & supplement policy can be.

So you can buy 5 lbs. of this for probably around $25 after shipping or 5 lbs. of ON (which is a blend of isolate, concentrate, and hydrolyzed proteins) for $25 from DPS before shipping.

Comparing ON to Protein Factory's CFM Whey Isolate:

Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey, Chocolate, 50g serving
Calories: 207
Fat: 1.7g
Saturated Fat: 0.9g
Cholesterol: 51mg
Carbohydrates: 5g
Protein: 41.5g
Sodium: 103mg

CFM Whey Isolate, Chocolate, 50g serving
Calories: 185
Fat: 0.4g
Saturated Fat: 0.1g
Cholesterol: 0mg
Carbohydrates: 0.5g
Protein: 44.5g
Sodium: 0mg

So Optimum is good stuff. The fat, carbohydrates, salt and cholesterol are from the WPC (or probably some added for flavor).

Judging from this profile, ON is probably broken down this way:
55% Isolates
40% Concentrate
5% Hydrolyzed

Oh yeah, these differences might seem trivial, and I supposed for the most part they are, but then, they are no less than differences between skim milk, reduced fat milk, and whole milk. Which do you drink?

Tommy Seoul said:
Can anyone do 12-15 reps at 75-80%? For me to get up to 12 reps I have to be more like in the 60-70% range. Of course I'm a pussy, but...

Other than that, really good post. Enjoyed reading it.

Load of Percent to 1RM
80%: 8-10
75%: 10-12
70%: 15
65%: 20-25
60%: 25

This is where you should be. Your max strength may bw far superior to your muscular endurance.

BrandNizzle, I was rereading your letter (more carefully this time) and I noticed I missed that you told him to do all athletic movements. For athletes, this is always true, except with some exceptions in hypertrophy. He wants to grow as much muscle total body as he can, since he wants to gain weight, so the compound lifts are still very useful, but for hypertrophy, he can actually add some isolated lifts for improved results. The reason for this is that by isolating a muscle, you can generally exhaust it more effectively, and this stimulate better growth.

I have several favorite tricks for hypertrophy, I guess I should put them up in S&P.

And I love Arnold, too.

"Hey guys, can you read this real fast?"

Yes?

for the eating part you relly only wnat to increase your intake on proteins because too many carbs will just make you fat if your lifting like that those porteins are going to build on eachother instead of turning into fat

Danielsan said:
for the eating part you relly only wnat to increase your intake on proteins because too many carbs will just make you fat if your lifting like that those porteins are going to build on eachother instead of turning into fat

You are wrong and your understanding of nutrition is rudimentary and incomplete. You're not prepared to give advice.

Back