Here's what I don't get!

wrestler0602

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
As far as setting up fights that people want to see, I think I have a good point. The one match up that made me think of starting this thread is the Bisping vs. Hendo fight. This may be a storybook ending to one of the best careers mma has ever seen, but check this out. I think there are, at least, 3 fighters off the top of my head I can think of that deserve the title shot next in the MW division : IMO..1) Rockhold trilogy, 2) Jacare, 3) Weidman. (but this goes for all of the weight classes)...and none of them are Hendo. As fighters make their way up the rankings, go on ridiculous win streaks, and eventually make it into the maybe the top 5 in the world in their weight class...those ARE the fights that people usually want to see anyway! You have a guy that is on a 6, 7 fight win streak, people's eyes are automatically drawn towards those fighters, as it is very difficult to string together that many wins now-a-days. To sum up what I'm trying to say, the fighters that are near the top of the heap, THOSE are the fights people normally want to watch! Didn't create this thread to bash Hendo, as I am a big fan of his. Just thinking beyond the surface of 'Fights people want to see'. The top -ranked, on crazy streaks, are the fights people want to see. They want to see the champ against someone who looks unstoppable at the time. IDK...maybe it's me.

Bisping Hendo Sells. Hendo as a champ sells even more than Bisping as a champ.

So win win for the UFC.

3s2dc3.jpg

I don't get why people don't use paragraphs.
I don't get why someone that's focusing on paragraphs instead of the valid point I'm trying to make are even on these forums. Try English forums, grammar nazi. They might suit you better.

Your overrating the belts

UFC only cares about buy rates and ratings

The belt were put in place to increase ratings

The fight would have made perfect sense if Bisping had lost like expected. I really don't care anyway, wanted to see the rematch, I don't care who has the belt really.

Any way you look at it, the fight sells.

To the likes of us, we remember the first KO, Hendo has been a legend for years and Bisping has been one of the most hated fighters ever in the UFC. The first fight and KO is one of the most brought up fights ever and we all remember the KO.

To the Casuals its an easy and intriguing story to sell. A contender who has always tripped at the last hurdle overcomes the odds and out of nowhere becomes champion. His most famous defeat and legendary KO comes at the hands of a retiring legend. The champ wants the chance at revenge before the legend retires. The legend also gets one chance at the one belt he never held, a chance he and all his fans had given up on.

I mean come on, that shit sounds like the story to a hollywood movie, The UFC would be daft to pass up the chance to use it.

I've read what you wrote, TS. Didn't quite get you (since you don't get it either), but I agree with you.

Your overrating the belts

UFC only cares about buy rates and ratings

The belt were put in place to increase ratings
That's my point
The fight would have made perfect sense if Bisping had lost like expected. I really don't care anyway, wanted to see the rematch, I don't care who has the belt really.
I agree with your point about the fight making perfect sense if Bisping would've lost. Didn't think of it that way

Rockhold got ethered. Dude needs to climb the ladder again.

I don't get why someone that's focusing on paragraphs instead of the valid point I'm trying to make are even on these forums. Try English forums, grammar nazi. They might suit you better.

It isn't about grammar it's about walls of text being a pain in the ass to read. Maybe you made some great points in there but most people will never know because they don't even attempt to read anything in that format.

Break that shit up and more people will read what you have to say.

I think even Hendo fans know he doesn't "deserve" this title shot.
UFC is banking on some nostalgia purchasers for this fight.
Which is kind of funny cuz I don't think Dan has ever been a main event big seller in the ppv market.

Its classic old school rasslin booking from the days of the territories
You have the future champ lose to the fan favorite in your territory before he wins the belt so that way when he comes back as the champion you match them again, this time for the title, and pop the house because everyone figures if he beat em once he can do it again, this time for the championship
Shit puts butts in seats

Last edited:
Bisping Hendo Sells. Hendo as a champ sells even more than Bisping as a champ.

So win win for the UFC.
Bisp vs. Hendo definitely sells, especially if it's promoted right to the Conor-Era Newbs...

I don't believe Hendo sells more as champ over Bisp, though...

Hendo doesn't promote himself, and I think most realize Hendo cannot hang with the true elite of his division.

Bisp sells himself non-stop, and is a recognizable face due to being a host on the UFC Tonight(?) show...

If Bisp actually defends his gold, his fights will receive major promotion.

Rockhold got ethered. Dude needs to climb the ladder again.
In the 1st fight, Bisping got straight handled, knocked down, then swarmed on and got choked out with a 1 arm guillotine. Bisping got his shot. Double standard.

As far as setting up fights that people want to see, I think I have a good point. The one match up that made me think of starting this thread is the Bisping vs. Hendo fight. This may be a storybook ending to one of the best careers mma has ever seen, but check this out. I think there are, at least, 3 fighters off the top of my head I can think of that deserve the title shot next in the MW division : IMO..1) Rockhold trilogy, 2) Jacare, 3) Weidman. (but this goes for all of the weight classes)...and none of them are Hendo. As fighters make their way up the rankings, go on ridiculous win streaks, and eventually make it into the maybe the top 5 in the world in their weight class...those ARE the fights that people usually want to see anyway! You have a guy that is on a 6, 7 fight win streak, people's eyes are automatically drawn towards those fighters, as it is very difficult to string together that many wins now-a-days. To sum up what I'm trying to say, the fighters that are near the top of the heap, THOSE are the fights people normally want to watch! Didn't create this thread to bash Hendo, as I am a big fan of his. Just thinking beyond the surface of 'Fights people want to see'. The top -ranked, on crazy streaks, are the fights people want to see. They want to see the champ against someone who looks unstoppable at the time. IDK...maybe it's me.

If only more people thought like you... But the truth is, that the Organizations will always want to push the fighters that are exciting and put asses in the stadiums. Dana always rants about it every season of TUF, Rogan always talks about it whenever there is an uneventful fight, and some fighters even talk about how exciting they are when promoting themselves. Hell Mauro Renallo would always bring it up during the Pride days as well, going so far as to saying the fans will want to watch fighters who lose in exciting fashion than fighters who win in boring fashion.

Look at all the fighters on long streaks who were passed over or fans didn't want to see fight. Cub Swanson, Dennis Bermudez, and even Frankie were all leapfrogged by Connor McGreggor because he was a more marketable and exciting fighter. Ryan Bader was put to the sideline in favor of Rumble, who had a much more fan friendly style. Lesnar got a title shot with only a 1-1 record in the UFC because of his popularity. Sonnen talked his way into a title shot with Jones coming off of a loss, and in a division he hadn't fought in in years.

Yes there were some who did not agree with these choices, but I remember most weren't complaining. Entertaining fights are definitely the priority in the UFC.

Two or three taps of the "enter" key would do this thread wonders, TS.

It isn't about grammar it's about walls of text being a pain in the ass to read. Maybe you made some great points in there but most people will never know because they don't even attempt to read anything in that format.

Break that shit up and more people will read what you have to say.
Appreciate the 'great points' compliment. You don't have to read it if it was too long for you , but you did. I understand that it was a bit long, just wanted to make sure I got it out clearly the 1st time instead of answering a ton of questions about how they didn't get this or that, that's all.

Back