Herd Dean must be sanctioned.

milenss

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
First of all, I must say that I'm hardly a Bisping fan. I'm not the biggest fan of Silva either. I just wanted to watch a quality fight, no matter who wins at the end.

I think what Herb Dean did was a disgrace to the sport and the referees as a whole. He must be penalized for apparently putting one of the fighters at risk to lose 2-3 of his teeth. I'm not saying that he should have stopped the fight when they were exchanging (*although I find nothing bad in this as well), but Bisping retreated because his mouthguard slipped off and made sure to go on safe distance and demand the ref to do what he should - call a break and give his mouthguard back. Instead Herb Dean was absolutely aware of the accident and for some reason he refused to call a stop when no action has been going.

He basically put one of the fighters at risk. The goal of the referee is to keep the health of the fighters as a top priority.
I know it from first hand exprience how hard it is to suffer damage to your teeth. I had a similar situation at the past which basically ended my passion to box and compete in MMA. I was doing a sparring session at the boxing gym with a moutguard on (but I knew it was a bad one, it was very hard and I was going to replace it soon anyways) and I did the mistake to accept the sparring with that guy. What was going to be a "light sparring session" turned to be not so light. I ate a some punches and at the end of the round I was bleeding from the mouth. Later it happened that 3-4 of my front teeth has been badly damaged as a consequence. My dentist told me that I've been lucky that my front teeth didn't turn black (dead).

I will never forget that feeling when I realised that this could be the end of my passion to the sport.

Now try to think what could have happened to Bisping if Anderson's knee landed on his mouth (without any sort of protection).

"Herd" Dean?

images

So now, not only is he a horrible ref but he also influences the judges as well?

I have a hint for you guys though that keep spouting this shit. It was actually Bisping's fault he got kneed in the face.

The best thing to do when your mouthpiece falls out is to continue fighting and let the ref find a spot for a clean break. If you try to do the refs job and fight at the same time, bad shit happens.

Herb Dean is untouchable in the regulatory community. Waging war on him would break the small fry London commission in twain.

Protect yourself at all times TS. Not a fan of Herb and he handled it relatively poor, but I can't blame him there. Bisping has to fight on there and be even admitted afterwards it was a mistake on his part. He also accepted the blame and didn't put it on Herb. True professional.

Protect yourself at all times TS. Not a fan of Herb and he handled it relatively poor, but I can't blame him there. Bisping has to fight on there and be even admitted afterwards it was a mistake on his part. He also accepted the blame and didn't put it on Herb. True professional.

It was not Bisping's mistake. He's not a referee.
According to this logic let them fight until the round ends. Or why should they put mouthguards on? UFC will be far more interesting and realistic with fighters who spew blood and teeth.

The best thing to do when your mouthpiece falls out is to continue fighting and let the ref find a spot for a clean break. If you try to do the refs job and fight at the same time, bad shit happens.
This Huge Bisping fan

And The Knee was 100% Bispings fault. If the situation was reversed you can bet your bottom dollar he woulda flying Kneed Silva in the face (Silva fans would of course compare it to the Rivera knee)

It was not Bisping's mistake. He's not a referee.

No, he's not. But as an unarmed combatant in any combat sport the number one rule is to protect yourself at all times. Anytime the fight is still going you have to protect yourself. It is that simple. Herb did not call time which is why Silva moved in. I'm just glad that didn't cost Bisping the win. He would have regretted that til his dying day.

I don't think he should be sanctioned, but I think he did make a minor mistake. It'll come up in the post event meetings between the refs and the commission. The step he took he took as if he was going to separate them was an error on his part, but a lot of people are blowing it out of proportion.

Goddard is fast becoming the best MMA ref

Herb is too error prone these days, agreed TS

First of all, I must say that I'm hardly a Bisping fan. I'm not the biggest fan of Silva either. I just wanted to watch a quality fight, no matter who wins at the end.

I think what Herb Dean did was a disgrace to the sport and the referees as a whole. He must be penalized for apparently putting one of the fighters at risk to lose 2-3 of his teeth. I'm not saying that he should have stopped the fight when they were exchanging (*although I find nothing bad in this as well), but Bisping retreated because his mouthguard slipped off and made sure to go on safe distance and demand the ref to do what he should - call a break and give his mouthguard back. Instead Herb Dean was absolutely aware of the accident and for some reason he refused to call a stop when no action has been going.

He basically put one of the fighters at risk. The goal of the referee is to keep the health of the fighters as a top priority.
I know it from first hand exprience how hard it is to suffer damage to your teeth. I had a similar situation at the past which basically ended my passion to box and compete in MMA. I was doing a sparring session at the boxing gym with a moutguard on (but I knew it was a bad one, it was very hard and I was going to replace it soon anyways) and I did the mistake to accept the sparring with that guy. What was going to be a "light sparring session" turned to be not so light. I ate a some punches and at the end of the round I was bleeding from the mouth. Later it happened that 3-4 of my front teeth has been badly damaged as a consequence. My dentist told me that I've been lucky that my front teeth didn't turn black (dead).

I will never forget that feeling when I realised that this could be the end of my passion to the sport.

Now try to think what could have happened to Bisping if Anderson's knee landed on his mouth (without any sort of protection).

tl;dr

thread's been done

I agree. The fact he didn't stop the fight and award Anderson the KO victory despite the fact that Bisping went unconscious and crumbled to the floor a bloody mess is despicable. Bisping probably has brain damage from the beatings he took in the 4th and 5th. Getting hit in the head while already concussed is very dangerous. Shame on you, Herd.

As much as I dislike Herb as a ref... "This is the fight business."

Why do Bisping fans have to pretend they are neutral?

I said the same thing to my buddy I was watching with yesterday when he was calling Silva cheap. When you try to ref your own fight bad shit happens, see Palhares vs Marquardt

I don't think he should be sanctioned, but I think he did make a minor mistake. It'll come up in the post event meetings between the refs and the commission. The step he took he took as if he was going to separate them was an error on his part, but a lot of people are blowing it out of proportion.
Taking a step does not fucking matter. The ref takes lots of steps. Fighters are expected to fight. Bisping fucked himself, period. There are no excuses to be made.

Back