Henry Armstrong

coutrout76

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
In my opinion this guy was the greatest p4p swarmer of all time. He had a relentless style with constant joe frazierlike head movement, and what is often considered the best fighting endurance in boxing history.If you can find his fight against barney ross you'll probably agree.

Greatest fighter who ever lived and one of the best ever, as well.

Anybody who was a world champ in multiple weight classes like he was (and defended them at different times, as I recall) is one of the best, if not the best, ever.

Anyone have an opinion as to how Armstrong would've done if he met Robinson in his prime?

I know it's a tall task, especially at welter, but if anyone's up to the challenge it's Armstrong.

That was a great profile. Thanks a bunch for posting that.

Anyone have an opinion as to how Armstrong would've done if he met Robinson in his prime?

I know it's a tall task, especially at welter, but if anyone's up to the challenge it's Armstrong.

I honestly believe the first go round he'd have beaten Ray.

Pressure fighters tended to trouble Robinson the first time he fought them, and its how guys like Basilio and Fullmer were able to outhustle him and take his title.

Imagine those guys with the ability to not take every punch to the face and Ray's in some trouble.

One of the most overlooked aspects of Ray's game is his ability to make adjustments for rematches, but I'm not sure how he'd have done in a rematch with Armstrong.

If they only met one time prime vs. prime at 147 I'd take Armstrong.

He is an all time great top five p4p ever his resume is amazing as well, to jump from 126lbs to 147lbs and beat a fighter like Barney Ross the way he did is amazing.

He is an all time great top five p4p ever his resume is amazing as well, to jump from 126lbs to 147lbs and beat a fighter like Barney Ross the way he did is amazing.

I agree. Holding three world titles at the same time is unbelievable......

perpetual motion, he was a little locomotive. top 3 pound for pound if u ask me.

Pressure fighters tended to trouble Robinson the first time he fought them, and its how guys like Basilio and Fullmer were able to outhustle him and take his title.

Imagine those guys with the ability to not take every punch to the face and Ray's in some trouble.

One of the most overlooked aspects of Ray's game is his ability to make adjustments for rematches, but I'm not sure how he'd have done in a rematch with Armstrong.

Interesting you mention that, because it brought up an old memory here.

I don't know if you remember, but we had a contest here (a couple of years ago) with that boxing simulator. The final welterweight match was between Robinson and Armstrong. The sim surprisingly had Armstrong TKO'ing Robinson late.

Interesting you mention that, because it brought up an old memory here.

I don't know if you remember, but we had a contest here (a couple of years ago) with that boxing simulator. The final welterweight match was between Robinson and Armstrong. The sim surprisingly had Armstrong TKO'ing Robinson late.

Oh I completely remember it because my fighter, Emile Griffith on the unofficial scorecard beat Sugar Ray Leonard, only for the judges to screw it up and give it to Leonard.

If the two fought during their primes and they were near the same weight it would have been a better fight than any of the Ali- Frazier fights, but with a similar outcome, either with Armstrong outlasting Robinson or Robinson swelling Armstrong's face so bad he couldn't continue.

Oh I completely remember it because my fighter, Emile Griffith on the unofficial scorecard beat Sugar Ray Leonard, only for the judges to screw it up and give it to Leonard.

I had Leonard for that fight. :D

(No, i'm not kidding)

that may be true, but I believe robinson was also older, slower and maybe on the decline when basilio and fullmer beat him. robinson was always described at welterweight as almost untouchable.

I think it would be a case of the bigger man beating a smaller one, but boy would that be a fight!

I couldn't agree more with a lot that has been said here. One of the best ever and certainly a top 5 pvp guy of all time. Talk about a fighter who threw a lot of punches with bad intentions and had a gas tank to keep it up over a 15 round fight. SRR v. H.A. is certainly in my top 5 fights I would love to have seen prime v. prime

Back