Help please on this armbar from mount video

almann1979

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score

So I have been trying this, but I just keep failing to hold mount when I do. If you look at the position he is in at around 1min 5 - how does he keep the guy on bottom from escaping - where does the control/pressure come from?

With me 1) I cant stop the guy either turning into me or
2) because my right leg (Pedro's right leg here) is light, its too easy for the guy on bottom to just get his arm under it and lift.

Thanks

Squeezing your knees and keeping all your weight in your hips. Also, your forearm is driving into their chest holding them down. If he puts his arm under your leg he'll be getting into more trouble with the threat of a triangle and if he turns you he's giving the cross choke. Also, you wouldn't just sit there, it's a transition that he's doing slowly to show the details.

Bjj aresenal - hi, thanks for the reply!! Wellbeck pulled it out for you guys last week :)

Anyway, when you say put my weight in my hips, thats where I struggle. Even as I start to transition I feel as though I am unable to keep my weight off my knee.

Dan - as always, thanks- that video gives me a gameplan should I ever find myself securing that position :)

Best mounted armbar video imo...

Honorary mention for guard armbars...

So I have been trying this, but I just keep failing to hold mount when I do. If you look at the position he is in at around 1min 5 - how does he keep the guy on bottom from escaping - where does the control/pressure come from?

With me 1) I cant stop the guy either turning into me or
2) because my right leg (Pedro's right leg here) is light, its too easy for the guy on bottom to just get his arm under it and lift.

Thanks

Pedro is more upright in the video because he's trying to face the students to explain the sequence. Keep low, with your head on the same side as your non collar gripping hand (Wide post). When he adjusts his right leg his heel never leaves the mat. His heel is dragging until his right shin is on almost parrel with his opponents body. From there he steps over the face and falls back. I prefer to finish from the top with the same motion. Instead of falling back, just finishing forward while grabbing the top leg, so if you fail, sliding off into a reverse ride side control is immediately there.

the shawn williams video is the way to go. that's exactly how i do my armbars, it's so high percentage. just a brilliant breakdown of the technique.

Bjj aresenal - hi, thanks for the reply!! Wellbeck pulled it out for you guys last week :)

Anyway, when you say put my weight in my hips, thats where I struggle. Even as I start to transition I feel as though I am unable to keep my weight off my knee.

Yeah man, Welbz had me going crazy.

Chief is right, in reality you're going to be wanting to be more flat and controlling with your body weight. The Shawn Williams video gamble posted is a great resource.

If you're struggling to keep the weight off your knee, the only answer left is practice. It takes time.

Back