HELP!! Need a thin gi that wont suffocate me in summer

BrainBar2014

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Please help. My gym is warm. Our AC sucks. My gi suffocates me. Its a thick Gracie brand gi. Im not a gi brand expert, or even that informed. This is the only Gi I've ever worn.

What brand can I look to for something thinner, that doesn't feel like a sauna in Baghdad?

ripstop material pants would help and any single weave

ripstop material pants would help and any single weave

Thanks. I bought a pair of Sprawl gi-flex pants, and I'll never wear any other pants, best ever. But my faithful gi top, only one I've ever had, is killing me its so hot. 2 brutal years of training, and not a single tear. Outstanding gi for durability!!! But its 1,000 degrees wearing it in the summer with no or little air conditioning.

The lightest gi I ever tried on was probably a Vulkan Ultra Light. Try asking in G & E for better advice. :)

keiko has some good ones. Either their limited or Raca was the thin one I believe.

Also, Gameness AIR is light as shit (I think it's like 3-4lbs for pants AND jacket?)

I train in hawaii and have had alot of luck with Koral MKM. LOL at AC I wish lol! We just sweat our asses off.

I like the On the Mat RSC420 Rip Stop Competition Gi. It's pretty light and breathes well. Kauai Kimonos also makes a nice ripstop gi also.

*The thin collars on these gis do make it easier for people to choke you though*

I train in hawaii and have had alot of luck with Koral MKM. LOL at AC I wish lol! We just sweat our asses off.

Lol! I reacted the same way. What? AC? Last week was very miserable with those kona winds.

TS As for a good gi for the summer, I think anything light. I like the Moya Ivory Tech, it's a pretty damn nice light gi that breathes very well I also just got me a Tatami Nova and it's another great and cheap light gi.

+1 on the rip stop.

My Kingz V2 rip stop gi dries really quickly and is light. My gym intentionally turns on the heater and closes the windows sometimes, so I'm pretty confident in it being relatively comfortable in hot gyms.

cobrakai.jpg

I would recommend the gameness air gi. Super light and soft, perfect for hot summer days

Kingz 420
Tatami Zero G
Atama Mundial 9 (pricey)
Killer Bee (with ripstop pants)

Generally, look for a light (420-475) pearl weave jacket, and either really light cotton or rip stop pants.

Suck it up Nancy.

Texas summers here. Metal building with no ac. Regularly 105+ on the mats if not 110+ on the hottest days.

My Gameness Feather shrank a ful gi size. I'm a big fan of my Kingz 420's.

Suck it up Nancy.

Texas summers here. Metal building with no ac. Regularly 105+ on the mats if not 110+ on the hottest days.

Oh yeah. And then you just open the door to let the hot breeze in? Can be fucking brutal. I always take a BCAA with electrolytes and extra water to sessions like that.

Suck it up Nancy.

Wut? Wouldn't that kill you? :icon_conf

Edit:

Oh, Fahrenheit.

Goddamnit, Americans. The 18th century called - they want their units of measurement back.

Last edited:
Oh yeah. And then you just open the door to let the hot breeze in? Can be fucking brutal. I always take a BCAA with electrolytes and extra water to sessions like that.
yeah...at least the breeze is better in this building than the last...it would 115+ a few times a year and we called in the oven.

I once drank 3 20 ounce bottles of water during a class and still managed to lose 6 lbs. :icon_cry2

Edit:

Oh, Fahrenheit.

Goddamnit, Americans. The 18th century called - they want their units of measurement back.
I agree...I hate the "Standard" measures.

Edit:

Oh, Fahrenheit.

Lol. Yeah it never made sense to me either. How can 32 be freezing? Doesn't it make more sense to make it 0?

Back