Help, my takedowns suck.

USAMMAFAN

Proud member of the "Reality based community"
Reaction score
The mma school I train at mostly focuses on stand up and ground work, very little on takedowns and takedown defense.

Anyone know of any possible ways to improve this area of my game?

I have no wrestling experience and I am no longer in school anymore.

gi or no gi?

find someone that knows about them and ask them for help

minimagpro said:
gi or no gi?

find someone that knows about them and ask them for help

no gi

You can do sprawling and takedown drills alone. They have some on video on at Subfighter.com and pictures over on Lockflow.com that you can put to use. Try get the books Wrestling For Beginners and Winning Wrestling Moves. There are all kinds of wrestling DVDs out there also but if you want to keep your costs down these books are a good start.

Find a freestyle wrestling club in your area (they're open to all ages) and join. The last club I was in had HS, college and instructor level members. Good experience.

Superbeast said:
There are all kinds of wrestling DVDs out there.

such as gholars series? any other recomendations

Dan Gable, Greg Strobel and Mario Sperry also have some on the market.

Superbeast said:
You can do sprawling and takedown drills alone. They have some on video on at Subfighter.com and pictures over on Lockflow.com that you can put to use. Try get the books Wrestling For Beginners and Winning Wrestling Moves. There are all kinds of wrestling DVDs out there also but if you want to keep your costs down these books are a good start.

lol, those were the exact two books i bought a couple of years ago. :D

and recently i got the "greco roman wrestling" one by bill martell, which is better then either of them IMO.

Superbeast said:
Dan Gable, Greg Strobel and Mario Sperry also have some on the market.

how do these stack compared to gholars, gholars is applied to mma, i doubt gables is

and sperry's is a huge set isnt it? (his vale tudo seriers right)

Same here actually, got the Greco Roman Wrestling book for Christmas.

Gable and Strobel are both pure wrestling sets, Sperry's Advanced Takedowns is a stand alone DVD I think.

i don't know about strobels but if i chose between gholar or gable i would pick gholar, it's quite cheap and covers specific takedowns (plus tie ups, etc) in decent detail, unlike the dan gable wresling fundimentals (i assume that's the set in question) which shows lots of good drills but mightn't be much use if you're not already familliar with the basic moves since it assumes you know them already and doesn't really go into details on them.

Sperry's 'Advanced Takedowns' is the one with Bustamante? (that's what ur talking about?) it's the first tape of vale tudo series two, but u can order the tapes / dvd's from the series individually as well. There are 3 Vale Tudo series and the first tape from each one covers takedowns. The series are expensive (!) but you can by tapes individually, as mentioned.... (they're all excellent too btw)

Yeah, that's the Sperry one I was referring to. I think Gable actually has two sets out, one is a single disc and one is a 3 disc set.

well for what is worth i have heard van arsdale and jackson series is probably the best, but a bit expensive

I think Couture has a DVD out via Century that might be worth looking up.

Go to a local H.S. and talk to the wrestling coach. Volunteer to work with his young guys. I work takedowns with smaller faster guys. It helps big time.

you can improve your shoot alot (!!) with just drilling it. have a friend or someone stand there and you shoot on him. like a 100 times. :)

same thing goes for the sprawl. these 2 are no rocket science, but you have to do them as many times as possible to get them down right.

bacon said:
Find a freestyle wrestling club in your area (they're open to all ages) and join. The last club I was in had HS, college and instructor level members. Good experience.

Hay that is my line.

Takedown- Drop levels, step deep with lead leg between opponent's, keep your back straight, hit their legs hard with your shoulder, get your hands around each leg just above the knee (so you can pull and push at the same time), bring your trail leg around

Defense- Control your opponent's head. Stuff it hard into the mat whenever you can and keep it there. It kills a takedown and makes the person work extra hard if they keep driving.

could maybe go by a highschool and ask if you can join in with the training on take downs and explain your situation.
Or you could go to a judo club and tell the guy what you are there to learn and what your goals are.
Or you could do the video route as posted above.

Or just ask at the place your at if you guys can work on takedowns for a week or something to help you feel more comfortable. Then after you have some basics down, get someone to stay late with you and drill drill drill

Superbeast said:

Yeah, winning wrestling moves is king shit when it comes to wrestling books. Takedowns are all about set ups. Lowering your level and wrist control are both very important when it comes to shooting. Stay in a good stance and when you shoot remember to keep your hips in and head up.

Back