Help Me Right Cross Please

Thai Clinch

Green Belt
Reaction score
hey all boxers and boxing fans out there.....im a thai boxer, however i train in northamerican boxing alittle....i find that my jab flows verry smoothly and quickly,,,,however my cross is so slow....i cant hit anyone with it....can u guys help me please

Try setting it up with a jab. And may be it isn't so much speed but timing. Good timing overcomes good speed every time. May be you're telegraphing it a little bit.

The problem with Thaiboxing IMO is the tendency to arm punch which makes a cross easy to both defend and slow. Try less of a squared stance. Just guessing from what little info you have provided.

remember to turn your body and follow with your arm, the punch will be stright as a laser and faster this way because it goes in a straight line, turn your body follow with the arm.

Maybe it's not slow, a right has to travel further than a jab, use the jab in front of it, use the jab to blind your opponent, get them blinking, and even sneakily clear his left away for your right. Anyway, the delivery of a cross: straight from your shoulder, the straighter the better, do not draw it back, do not try to put extra power into it, twist your hips and your shoulders into it, snap your fist over at the end, and, most kickboxers have very poor delivery,(possibly because they are preocuppied with getting leg kicked). By boxing standards, most of your bodyweight should be on your front leg at the end of the punch, never over it, if you miss you will fall over, your right knee should be pointing straight down at the floor and should have very little weight on it by the end of the punch. Also, study the best, Tyson had perfect form at his best, watch how he threw straight rights. Ali had a right that won many fights for him, if you watch him throw his, he sort of brings it up from his hip and adds a beautiful shoulder snap at the end of it. If you are indeed slow handed, watch the very slow, Alexis Arguello who would throw the tightest right you could ask for and i've seen him beat faster guys to the punch just using good distance and timing.

so try and distract them with my jab? iill try that...
im not looking to get into a nother gym, i think my thai boxing gym is enough, any thoughts on that>

If Thai Boxing is what you want stick to it. Most Thai fighters, and I've been around some big names, do not maximize the tools of boxing as much as they could. Incorporate what you can.

I had a similar problem which I fixed by squaring up more and by adding more upper body movement...the movement that you make to slip crosses can be used to throw one too. I find that squaring up more helps me against southpaws

setting up with the jab is the key. practice your cross on the bag, but dont just throw it. move around the bag, and find your good shots. and also spar lightly with people, you'll get used to it

snap the punch. U might be trying to "push" w/ it or kinda swing it like a hammer, instead of a fluid whip. If u watch a boxer like Kostya Tszyu, who still has one of the best crosses in the game, he throws it out and snaps it back, pow, like a whip. Lots of people try to push w/ it trying to get power, but all they get is a slow and weak easily counterable punch.

I was once told to fire off hte cross from the hip. Basically the elbow sdtays tucked in until the last moment when your rotational momentum (from legs and hips) forces the arm to snap out. It seems to make it much less of an arm punch when I did it this way.

How are you holding your hands? If you're in the thai stance you may want to bring your arms in and make sure your elbows are tucked to your body before firing off the punch using your body instead of your arm. Arm punches are common from the thai stance if you don't snap into the boxing "ready position" before throwing the punch.

Back