Help me out with my diet

KillerTKO

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Basically, for a few years now ive been refining my diet and trying to make it as good as it can be for me. I was about 15st at my worst which is 210lbs i believe. However, this was a fatty 210lbs, now i have lost a lot of that fat and gained some muscle. When i last took the scales i was 11st 11lbs which is about 165 lbs if my math is correct with about 7.5% body fat if those things are to be believed.

Anyways, i am looking to gain a bit more muscle because when i went through my initial losing fat stage i may have gone too far in terms of eating nothing remotely fatty and calorie counting whilst doing long runs to the point i had massive blisters on my feet and couldnt walk the next day properly.

Anyways, as i started training in MMA well individual aspects of it but with an MMA perspective on each discipline, e.g. Kickboxing with some sprawls and TD's, BJJ with some sessions with punching, as well as some clinchwork. I want to gain some more muscle and become generally stronger and as functionally strong for my weight as possible. You know what i mean, the guy who when you look at him at the start of the class and assess how much strength to put into it so you can focus on your technique only to find that he starts throwing you around of has deceptive strength.

As of right now whilst i am trying to bulk i have added a bit more fat into my diet than i am used to but i still never eat things like Crisps (chips to americans), fast food, fries, potato, chocolate (except choc flavoured protein)

My current diet is will consist of eating the following foods:

Breakfast: Porridge try to make it with skimmed milk but semi skimmed at worst with a scoop of choc protein with this.

Dinner: Brown rice, tuna/chicken with a portion of veg

Tea: Brown Rice, with chicken usually with as much veg as i can find in the house

With either cottage cheese before bed when i have it, or a protein shake. Also, Protein shake before i go to the gym and after ive been in the gym which differs in terms of times a day sometimes i may train twice a day weights and then BJJ/kickboxing.

Supplements: MetRx Supreme Whey, Chocolate take 3-4 times a day
Multi Vitamin
Muscle Armor

------------------------------

Now ive posted my diet, i have a few quick questions that i was wondering myself initially.

1. When i make my protein shakes, it says take 1 scoop on the box which i have been doing with water. But my friend says he takes two so he will get bigger and stronger faster and recover quicker. Now i am not sure if this is necessary, because if you have too much protein per day doesnt it just turn into carbs which then turns into fat?

2. Also, one day a week i have a pasta bolognese, i have added this in to increase my fat amounts per week as i know fat intake is crucial to building size and muscle. Is such a meal the best means to add fat or would i be better adding things like nuts? If the difference is negligible then ill just keep the bolognese because i think having 1 meal per week would help me stay stricter the rest of the week.

3. Is there a whole lot of point in investing in a greens supplement, if so could someone basically outline the benefits in terms of training to me. Ive heard it neutralises your body Ph or something but what effect will this have?

Ok, thats all i can think of, if anyone notices anything else that could be changed to improve my diet i'd be appreciative of that... hopefully someone will actually read all this :D

Cheers

First of all, protein does not "turn into" carbs. Protein is protein, carbs are carbs, fats are fats, etc. etc. What it sounds like to me is that you are semi-starving yourself to get down to a very low BF%. This is not horrible if you follow something like Berardi's get shredded diet, but it is only supposed to be for 6-8 weeks, every few years. Also when people talk about fat intake they are talking about healthy fats, from things like nuts, flax, fish, whatever, not the kind of fat that's going to be in pasta bolognese, though once a week is certainly fine with that. 3-4 times a day for protein shakes is just too much. Eat more real food, and read the stickies, and also Berardi's stuff and you'll be better off

Are you sure about the protein not turning into carbs, ive read that somewhere on here before. Also im not starving myself at all i dont think. I eat generally a large portion of my meals, 2 chicken breasts with my rice for tea, and 2 tins of tuna with rice when i have it, lots of veg also... I usually double what most would consider the normal portion. i am trying to gain the weight without putting excess fat on yes, but im not sure what you portion size your suggesting or whether you suggesting eat at much protein as i have in sight in terms of having a meal comprising of like "2 chicken breasts, a 4 egg omelette, 2 tins of tuna, broccolli, spinach, carrotts, peas, nuts, with rice" ...

does anyone else think i am starving myself, i mean i appreciate your thoughts obviously and i suppose its never easy for a person to accept what theyre doing is wrong especially when ive been making a conscious effort to eat as much clean stuff as possible :D

If your'e eating those portion sizes, then you're ok, I just assumed a lot less based bf% as at least in my experience you have to eat very little to maintain 8% or lower, my mistake. And I'm pretty sure about the protein thing, unless I TOTALLY missed something, which is possible

I have always tried to eat as much as possible when trying to put weight on in as clean a way as possible, though i dont assume a few bad fats here and there are going to do me any harm like the pasta bolognese once a week or a bowl of sugary cereal every now and again. `

In regard to the protein turning to carbs if you overdo it, maybe ive misinterpreted what ive read, is it right to assume though that doubling up on scoops of protein isnt worthwhile because having 3 protein shakes a day with 1 scoop in them is maximising the protein usage within my body to its fullest potential, whereas any more than this wouldnt have any greater effect?

I have just researched into the whole protein turning to carbs issue and found nothing, maybe i dreamt it....

does anyone have any thoughts on that and also whether there is an additional benefit to be gained by doubling up protein shakes in terms of 2 scoops etc. will this have a vast difference or is the maximum benefit gained from the 1 scoop 3 times a day and over that the difference is next to nothing?

Back