Help Me Get Rid of Malware/Adware/Viruses

PureDominance

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right section to post something like this in but I figured someone on Sherdog would know. My computer illiterate fiance tried using my laptop to watch movies online illegally and ended up downloading innumerable programs containing adware and malware... I will spend any amount of money necessary to rid my laptop of these programs as long as I know FOR SURE that they will be gone forever. Any recommendations on what programs actually work for getting rid of these things?

Haven't used this in a few years, but it was pretty good back then

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

If you want actual programs that will keep your computer safe for the long run

Eset NOD32
Kaspersky AV

Both top-of-the-line

malwarebytes, super anti spy. run av scan. if that is or isn't enough. send me $100 via payapl :p

malwarebytes and avast cleaned the shit out of my PC. it literally wouldn't even stay on for more than 10 mins, and now it works like it's new.

edit* both free

AVG Antivirus, SPyBot Search and Destroy and Malware Bytes are my three most trusted programs. Just one likely won't do it all, but between the three, you have a chance. First, I would try the uninstall programs included with the malware, if it has it (sometimes it does).

Along with the cleaning, you might also want to get a firewall on there that can tell you if you have any unexpected outgoing network traffic.

Be careful plugging in external hard drives or flash storage to backup your files, as the virus can be passed to these (it happened with some of my flash memory). Instead, try burning key files to a DVD, the ones you absolutely cannot lose, before doing anything drastic.

You may need to re-install Windows and your programs (assuming you have a Windows machine) if the three cleaners I mentioned don't work. For a serious infection, wiping it all out and starting fresh is the only way to be 100% sure, though other options gives a very reasonable assurance if they are successful.

Malwarebytes, AVG, Spybot etc work great most of the time.

Sometimes it's best to google the specific virus you have. Say you get those fake anti virus messages that pop up. Google the name of the anti virus program and then you'll get more specific instructions on how to delete them. Or ctrl alt delete and look at the programs running. Google some of the strange looking names that might show up (mk04wekai3023k.exe) and you'll find information on whether they are safe or not and how to get rid of them. Normally there are really easy step by step instructions written out that you can follow.

malwarebytes, super anti spy. run av scan. if that is or isn't enough. send me $100 via payapl :p
Besides the $100 fee milliniar is charging this is the best free option. Full scan not quick will find the problem and fix it.
Full time protection get avast or maybe something someone else has mentioned

In order run Ccleaner, Glary Utilities, Avast antivirus, and Malewarebytes scans.

If you didn't use Reflex software to back-up your hard drive, from now on you will!

Some of them you might have to manually uninstall, and then reset your browsers if they are browser hijackers opening up tabs and resetting your homepage. That is easy enough to do, just google the browser name you are using and reset

Some good advice in this thread already. nothing to add really.

Just note. You may think you have a shitload of this stuff on your comp. One virus can tell you you have a shitload of viruses. I've removed shite off my comp 4 or 5 times in as many years and it still works fine.

Reboot the operating system. Best way to do that is by pouring a glass of water over the keyboard.

Try and uninstall any programs you don't recognise that aren't vital to the PC. Malware oftens comes in software claiming to speed up or clean up your machine, such as "PC Boost". Once that's done download Malwarebytes and any free antivirus of your choice, I'd recommend AVG free.

Do comprehensive scans with both and see how you get on. This should get rid of the vast majority of your troubles. If a problem still remains and you can't seem to get rid of it I'd recommend simply backing up what you need and reinstalling a clean build of Windows.

Last edited:
Thanks guys... did some manual uninstalls first then Spybot S&D followed by Malwarebytes. Laptop is running great now.