Help me buy a gi!

georgwilhelm**

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I know this technically belongs into the G&E forum but not all of the grapplers here look into that forum regularly. However, G&E has helped me to narrow down the options and now I would like you to help me make a decision. I am looking for at least on, possibly two (1 normal, 1 lightweight) kimonos. I'm tall and lanky (6'1, 170 lbs) btw.

Lightweight I am considering the

Keiko summer gi (A3)
Groundcontrol Student (350 gr!).

As a normal gi I am considering the

Redstar Stamp (it is really cheap at the moment!)
Redstar Competition Light (goldweave, but 550 gr, so not really light)
MKimonos Hybrid weave
Koral MKM

I have a Fushida CompGS at the moment and love it. But I am afraid that the Stamp might be too similar thus not really feeling like a new gi. The MKimono website is really interesting but their gis are really expensive, so I'd be curious if somebody could really recommend their gis. The Koral would possibly be my favorite but I am afraid the skirt of the A2 might be too short and the A3 would be too big over all.

Isami would also be an option but their inconsistent sizing charts seem to risky for the price. The Kingz 420 is apparently light, but I don't really like the big patch saying Kingz.

So everybody with experience with one or more of the listed gis is most welcome to give their opinion! You would really help me out!

Last edited:
Isami would also be an option but their inconsistent sizing charts seem to risky for the price.

The Isami double weave is probably the best BJJ gi in the world. Also, their sizing isn't inconsistent; just different. Most other gi companies are inconsistent with the standard gi sizing anyway, an Atama A3 is not the same as a Koral A3 and a Koral A3 is not the same as a Shoyoroll A3, et cetera. If anything Isami's sizing is very accurate and customizable.

The Kingz 420 is apparently light, but I don't really like the big patch saying Kingz.

So de-patch it then. I've taken the patches off of all of my gis. It's a half-an-hour job with a seam-cutter.

what ever you get get an size up and shrink it down.. I would do an A3 you about the same size as i am and they fit perfectly.. my a2 fit but after a few washes they tend to shrink making it look like too small uniform.

if you are going to do competitions that require you to weight in with gi on, you might want to look into a light gi. The whole summer and winter gi dont really seem a different but weight.. I wear a summer gi all year along and still get hot as hell in it so that really doesnt matter. its just the weight and the quality i actually look for.

I have the Kingz 420 Ripstop as a replacement for my other gi my wife decided to shrink. I love it. Super comfortable. And if you aren't digging the patch, just take it off.

A few points:

If you're even remotely seriously considering a Isami, then get it. It will stand the test of time and then some. You cannot find a single bad review about the quality of those gis. But if for whatever reason you decide not to, I would suggest going with the MKM as your regular and the Keiko as your lightweight. Both are also high quality gis that even in the worst case senerio, if for whatever reason you don't like them you can find someone to take it off your hands pretty quickly.

are you using your gi just for practice of for competition too?
and is this your first GI?? how many others do you have (what types)

are you using your gi just for practice of for competition too?
and is this your first GI?? how many others do you have (what types)

I have one Fushida CompGS and love it (b4 that I used an old Judo gi). I love the snug fit, the narrow arms etc. And they have in-between sizes for lanky guys. But it's a 450 pearl weave and I would like something lighter and softer for a change. Or (if I buy two gis) another really good gi, that is not too similar. I don't compete at the moment but are planning to do it.

The Isami double weave is probably the best BJJ gi in the world. Also, their sizing isn't inconsistent; just different. Most other gi companies are inconsistent with the standard gi sizing anyway, an Atama A3 is not the same as a Koral A3 and a Koral A3 is not the same as a Shoyoroll A3, et cetera. If anything Isami's sizing is very accurate and customizable.

On chokesports they have a size chart that is different from the Isami size chart on their English Japanese website.

http://www.chokesports.com/isami-double-weave-gi-1-p.asp

And the Japanese original Isami site gives the same categories as chokesports but has another size chart. 6'1 would be 5L with chokesports but 6L with the Isami site.

http://isami-eng.com/index.php?act=itemdetail&item_id=e-jj-410&category=

And Fightersmarket uses the A-sizes for Isami and I have been told that those Isami gis are cut differently (slimmer) as well.

http://www.fightersmarket.com/Isami-Sachiko-BJJ-Gi-White-p/k151.htm

How is that consistent? I would love a thick Isami (with a slim cut) but would not know what size and where to order.

I have the Redstar Competition Light, and so far I have no complaints, other than the fact that the tried to charge me Ontario HST. Egor resolved that, however, just a heads up. I'm 6'3.5" and 96kg, and the A3L fits like a glove.

I ordered the normal cotton pants, but Egor sent me the ripstop version which are supposed to be better, so no complaints there.

So de-patch it then. I've taken the patches off of all of my gis. It's a half-an-hour job with a seam-cutter.

Not sure but I think I have heard the new version has patches which are not stitched but applied in a way so that they cannot be removed so easily.

I own 3 gis and my favorite is by far a vulkan pro-light I got for only $120. I have also have a gameness and an OTM that I paid much more for and really don't even like. I don't hear the pro-light getting much attention, but damn it is comfortable, strong, light, flexible and it breathes well. My other two gis make me want to throw a brick through my head.

Between the Keiko summer gi and the Kingz 420 (not the ripstop): which one would be better and softer?

i have a
Hyperfly graice camp gi ( extremely light and durable)
Shoyoroll white mamba gi (the lighest gi i own) i tend to use this or the hyperfly for competeitions.
Omega maniac Gi - Is a little heavier than the other two but its one of the best fitting gi's that i have ever had by far the best in durability.

Ive had alot of gis over the years.
shoyoroll
atama
hck
omega
hyperfly
keriko
fuji
and a few others...

ive only kept the few that lasted the trials of competition and long drawn out practices
the shoyoroll *against anyone that does x-guard* is not a good idea unelss its ripstop pants.. (Trust me on that) Zak Maxwell rip two pairs of my shoyoroll pants doing xgaurd... No cool at all...

I am 6-3, 190#, and I had a Jiu-Jitsu Pro Gear A-3 that shrunk down to the point where it was just a little too small for me. I had to stretch the sleeves out a little before competition to pass inspection..That could be a pretty good fit for you..

Consider getting the A-3 JJPG, and wash it cold, put it in the dryer, set it for 45-50 minutes, and check it every 15 minutes and when it is shrunk to your liking, hang it up to finish drying, then hang dry it every time you wash it after that.

Ok, I have almost made a decision: Now I will get either the Keiko summer or the Kingz 420. And later, when I want a normal gi again, I will get either the Isami or the MKM (depending on whether A2 MKM will be long enough for me or if I can figure out the Isami sizing chart).

Does anybody have experience with the Keiko or the Kingz? Or even both?

nobody got experience with both? or at least with the kingz alone?

and nothing about mkimono?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back