Help from you ground guys!

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by randy watkins, Dec 3, 2005.

1. randy watkins

randy watkins Banned Banned

Hi guys I was at my kickboxing class last night. We donit do any ground and pound or BBJ but the instrutor said we might try some. Well I know the guys, there are pretty green at the ground game so I thought its time to show off some of the things I've learned from watching ufc pride and some instruction tapes. I showed the boys some moves, like triangle chokes, arm bars, half and full guard and things like that. Well as the night went on I got this guy into a full mount. I was unloading on him he was covering up the best he could but then he shocked me (I'll try to explain this the best I can). He hooked his legs up on my shoulders with like his feet almost in my face, pushed me back and kept punching me in the lower stomach. Any advice on what i can do .................

2. Te(V)plar

Te(V)plar Black Belt

Get grappling training from someone that knows how to grapple, imo

3. When somebody does that, lean forward and underhook his arms, this will cause him to stretch very uncomfortably and cause a tap.

4. pitviper259

pitviper259 Guest

they wont always tap from this, if they are flexible it just cause uncomfortability (sp?) but what you could do is lean forward until they take their own legs out of the position and then continue punching

5. VanDamme

VanDamme Green Belt

To be quite frank, this is a poor attempt at a mount escape often by people who are, as you put it, "green" at grappling.

If you're familiar in the least with the pummelling drill used in the clinch to achieve double underhooks on an opponent, that it all you need to do to defeat this move.

Swim your hand back and in towards your body to get inside control over his legs, and then simply push them away.

6. Richard Emling

Richard Emling Black Belt Professional Fighter

bingo

7. Commissar

Commissar Gold Belt

Evidently, you're about as green as they are, so you shouldn't be teaching them grappling.

8. Mirada

Mirada Brown Belt

What the fuck man.

9. oyaji poi

oyaji poi oyaji belt

in that old video of royce vs a kung-fu guy, royce mounts the guy and he tries to do that leg-hook thing. didn't work very well then either. seems to be sort of an instinct thing, can't do anything with the arms so try with the legs.

10. hamoom

hamoom Purple Belt

lol what a perfect reaction

11. SmashiusClay

SmashiusClay Avatar of Cyttorak

My thoughts exactly.

12. spiderguardman

spiderguardman Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

13. randy watkins

i know lets all get up the admins ass. by saying lol and perfect reaction get a fucking life

14. ipponzei what

ipponzei what Rock 'Em Sock 'Em

I don't post in this forum much, and have never even spoken at all with Mirada, but the fact is that he is right. You may sort of know the movements involved in all these techniques from watching UFC, but you know jack shit about proper application of pressure, proper positioning of your body, etc. In other words, you are a spaz. Trying to teach people grappling when you know exactly jack shit about it yourself is dangerous, period. It would suck if someone got hurt or worse because you decided you could perform a proper choke because of a Matt Hughes fight, so spare yourself the guilt and someone else the pain of getting badly hurt, and either give this retarded shit up or actually go learn grappling. If you don't, you're just like one of those "backyard wrestling" retards dropping his friends on their heads because he watched Monday Night Raw. For everyone's sake, stop it.

15. randy watkins

please fuck me, you prick

16. Soulfly

Soulfly Guest

Haha.. well anyway.
    Yeah, I did the same leg hook thing during gym class in 6th grade. The kid tackled me and I just tried to reach my legs up to his head/neck to force him away. It didn't work, and only made me look like a pathetic squirming weakling in front of the class.

Anyway, if he throws his legs up behind you while you're punching him, lean foreword and continue. Maybe with every rechambering of your punch, you can elbow them in the theigh? Eventually (under strict supervision) you can fall back into some kind of leg lock (like a knee bar or a quasimoto anckle lock.)

17. b0b

b0b Banned Banned

Yes, legit grappling training is the best thing you can do.

Back to your other problem. I suggest simply ending the fight when you are standing up. Watch Anderson Silva v Ryo Chonan. Just do a baseball slide in and heelhook him as fast as possible. It is easy as hell, just watch that clip over and over and you can do it everytime, 100%

http://www.kaliyoda.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/ceaweb/video/Chonansub.avi

Be sure and crank the shit out of that heel, that way they can feel the power.

[​IMG]

18. Darwinist

Darwinist Super Simian

You should NOT try to pull off moves you have only seen on instructionals or MMA tapes when sparring with other guys that have very little idea what they are doing. That

19. Blake Bowman

Blake Bowman I just blue myself...

discomfort. actually.

This thread was over when it started. Yuo are also green at grappling. Don't teach people anything. I will be happy to give a seminar up there for 25 bucks.

20. Commissar

Commissar Gold Belt

Don't get defensive. You clearly haven't done a day of grappling in your life, so why would you be doing grappling moves?